Will asparagus freeze well? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We love it, but the time it's cheap and local is so short, so I was thinking of stocking up. I freeze all kinds of other veggies-- just blanch and ice and seal-- but I've never tried asparagus. How does it hold up to freezing? Does it go mushy when you use it, or does it hold its texture okay? Anybody ever tried freezing it?

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#2 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

I haven't personally frozen asparagus but I've bought packages of it from Trader Joes. I have been really happy with it, it's not all mushy or anything when you cook it. These are thin little spears so I generally don't thaw ahead of time, I just toss them into the skillet with some olive oil, salt and pepper and they thaw while they cook.
#3 of 7 Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM

They don't hold their texture very well.

The trick though is like a pp said - don't thaw them before using them. Historically, I've just tossed them in oil and roasted them straight out of the freezer, and that works okay. They definitely take longer, but they're pretty good that way. But if you defrost them and want to use them as a crunchy veg - it doesn't work.

Or I just puree them into soups. That's a good use for them, too.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Okay. That's the way it is with most home-frozen veg-- they don't hold the crisp, and you have to use it still frozen. Thanks! Off to blanch some asparagus...

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM

i think that most people can them rather than freeze. do you like pickled things at all? i know you can make asparagus pickles (but that just isn't my thing at all.. ick).. here's someone's cool blog about doing that with lots of pics..

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanine123 View Post
I haven't personally frozen asparagus but I've bought packages of it from Trader Joes. I have been really happy with it, it's not all mushy or anything when you cook it. These are thin little spears so I generally don't thaw ahead of time, I just toss them into the skillet with some olive oil, salt and pepper and they thaw while they cook.
This. Don't thaw.

And blanch! We tried batches straight from the garden (we have 25 plants) and after blanching. After blanching won by a landslide.

Figure out ways to incorporate them without eating them straight. I put them in soups, stir-frys, grated finely in meatloaf...
#7 of 7 Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
i think that most people can them rather than freeze. do you like pickled things at all? i know you can make asparagus pickles
This is what I do with my excess asparagus, when it's nice and cheap. I took some from a couple years ago to a potluck last week and it disappeared. I do really prefer it pickled to frozen, but pickled has really limited applications - I just eat it straight.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page