Not liking my Vitamix 3600-Advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After wanting a Vitamix for about 10 years, I finally got one off of ebay. It's an older model-the 3600, but I prefer that because of the stainless steel container. It didn't come with a manual or recipe book. So far I've only tried making smoothies in it. My cheapo blender does a better job of mixing smoothies than the Vitamix. The smoothies always have chunks of unblended fruit, no matter for how long and on what level I blend it. This morning I used frozen strawberries and banana and tried blending it on low, medium, and high for what felt like a long time on each level. The smoothie was STILL full of chunks from both fruits! Am I doing something wrong? I'm going to return this thing if I can't get it to work. The main reason I wanted one is because it's supposed to do such a great job at blending foods. Can anyone help? Is this my problem or a problem with the Vitamix?

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#2 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM

I have a different Vitamix and LOVE it!

That said, maybe a collective group of us can help you troubleshoot your situation to determine if it is your specific model or something you could do differently???

Does your model have a "stick" you shove in through a small opening in the lid? Mine does and that is what I use to shove the frozen stuff down into the blades for proper blending to occur. My version has one that is designed to be just short enough to NOT hit the blades themselves.

What other ingredients are you using in your smoothies along with the frozen fruit? In what order do you add them to the container?

Have you gone to the Vitamix website to look up some recipes and tips? They have tons of free information there.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

When I make a smoothie I put in the fruit first, then yogurt, egg yolk, and honey. My machine didn't come with a tamper but I know I can order one separately. I checked out the Vitamix website and the recipes and instructions. The controls are different on the new models-mine has low, med, and high. I'm going to guess that variables 1 and 10 and low and med. Most of the smoothie recipes on the website don't mention that a tamper has to be used, so I should be OK without one. They do specify to run the machine for 60 seconds, so next time I will time it. Thank you for the reply!

Me bfinfant.gifDP caffix.gif one silly 5 year old  boy blahblah.gif and a brand new babyboy.gifcd.gif  signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg
#4 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Try putting the yogurt in before the fruit, also (along with timing).

I use the tamper with most recipes, so you may want to get one eventually. The main reason I need it is the volume I make is typically lower than average and the tamper ensures everything gets down into the blades to be chopped/blended well. Otherwise, it tends to fly all over the container. Yogurt at the bottom helps with frozen fruit smoothies, specifically. Fresh fruit tends to stay down on its own better (due to wetness/heaviness probably).

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try putting the yogurt in first next time. I'm making smaller amounts, too. Only a cup or so of yogurt with an equal amount of fruit, so I'm sure the tamper would be a good investment for me.

#6 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM

sell it to me!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#7 of 12 Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echospiritwarrior View Post
sell it to me!
I will remember your post if I can't get this darn thing to work right...

#8 of 12 Old 11-17-2013, 09:00 PM

I just acquired a Vitamix 3600 without a tamper also!  I have not made smoothies yet but have made awesome soups!  I like to go onto youtube and watch their video's!  So far I've only made butternut and acorn squash soup but they are done in 4 or 5 minutes!  Going to make a Tomato Basil soup that I just watched tonight!

I also saw that I can make my own flour so very excited about that!

Hope you like your vitamix better when you see everything you can do with it!

I see your baby is too young right now but when your baby is old enough I would have loved to have had a Vitamix when

my kids were babies!

Good Luck!

#9 of 12 Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM

I absolutely need the tamper to get things blended. In fact, I had a Blendtec that I returned because it didn't have a tamper. My concoctions are so thick that I would end up with an air bubble around the blades no matter what the power of the blender I used. Using the tamper with the Vitamix is the only thing that allows me to properly blend the frozen fruit instead of leaving chunks.

#10 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a 3600 plus and just got a 4000 when the 3600 died. Sadly I lifted my cannister off before it finished spinning and broke it. I'm awaiting a new-to-me cannister any day now.

I don't think these older models function like the new ones. The cannisters now have all kinds of indentions and such to make the stuff swirl in a certain way. I stick with the old ones because of the stainless steel (did you see my thread about a petition to get new cannisters in stainless steel.)

Anyways, even with a tamper my smoothies usually have some chunks. Not too many, but they are there. I also use the reverse function, have you tried that?

I put 1 or 2 raw bananas along with almond milk in first to get things going. I add frozen fruit a bit at a time through the dome top. If I don't, my smoothies are so big and so thick that it stops until I reset the  breaker and it cools down. But with a gradual addittion of frozen stuff, that works out.

I walked away from my smoothie while it was blending once I figured if I gave it long enough it would get rid of all the chunks. It didn't. And I ended up with a hot smoothie.

Depending on how much you paid for your vitamix, you may want to consider a square trade warranty. My first vitamix was $259 and died after 18 months. I saved the cannister and dome so when I sent it back I got a full refund from square trade then bought a new base for $75. (Then I broke my cannister and had to buy a cannister.) You only have 30 days to get a warranty. I probably won't get one for the base given how inexpensive it was.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 12 Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
<p>I had a 3600 plus and just got a 4000 when the 3600 died. Sadly I lifted my cannister off before it finished spinning and broke it. I'm awaiting a new-to-me cannister any day now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't think these older models function like the new ones. The cannisters now have all kinds of indentions and such to make the stuff swirl in a certain way. I stick with the old ones because of the stainless steel (did you see my thread about a petition to get new cannisters in stainless steel.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyways, even with a tamper my smoothies usually have some chunks. Not too many, but they are there. I also use the reverse function, have you tried that?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I put 1 or 2 raw bananas along with almond milk in first to get things going. I add frozen fruit a bit at a time through the dome top. If I don't, my smoothies are so big and so thick that it stops until I reset the  breaker and it cools down. But with a gradual addittion of frozen stuff, that works out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I walked away from my smoothie while it was blending once I figured if I gave it long enough it would get rid of all the chunks. It didn't. And I ended up with a hot smoothie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Depending on how much you paid for your vitamix, you may want to consider a square trade warranty. My first vitamix was $259 and died after 18 months. I saved the cannister and dome so when I sent it back I got a full refund from square trade then bought a new base for $75. (Then I broke my cannister and had to buy a cannister.) You only have 30 days to get a warranty. I probably won't get one for the base given how inexpensive it was.</p>
Can anyone help me find just the top canister for a maxi-4000...
I found the base unit in near mint condition and need the canister/lid/and possibly the stick poker thinggy.
thanks for any help...
#12 of 12 Old 07-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can get all the parts on ebay. After watching it awhile I see that the motors last longer than the bases. The bases seem to outlive the cannisters as there are lots of bases available but it's harder to get the cannisters. You can buy replacement blades with gear part attached from vitamix, but they're about $95 (that info was current when I investigated a few months ago.)

So, watch ebay and see what you can find.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page