How do you pasteurize raw cow's milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you do, that is? There is a farm very close to us that sells raw milk, but does not pasteurize it. Is there any method that you prefer if you do pasteurize raw milk?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm confused, what's the point of buying raw milk if you're going to pasteurize it? I thought the "raw-ness" was the main benefit.
#3 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it's the only close local, grass fed milk source we can get?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#4 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM

If you aren't comfortable drinking it raw (there are a lot of benefits), I'm sure it's still better to pasturized good quality milk yourself at home.

mother earth news suggusts to heat it slowly and gently (or in a double boiler) to 145 and hold it there for 30 minutes. I'm sure there are other methods as well.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 PM

Umm... we don't Raw milk is *SO* yummy!!
#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 07:44 PM

I agree, why pasteurize? It takes the nutritional value way down and nukes the good cultures and the enzymes that make lactose digestible. We have been getting raw milk for a couple years and have never gotten sick. If the cows are healthy and the equipment is kept clean you shouldn't have a problem.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#7 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Read up on raw milk, it's quite safe if from a good (clean and healthy) source, and has health benefits as compared to pasteurized. The enzymes and good bacteria that are killed in pasteurization prevent dangerous bacteria from spoiling the milk, and they aid digestion. Even when raw milk goes sour (which takes over a week) it's still safe, just sour. But once you open a container of past. milk, listeria and whatever else start growing in it because there is nothing for them to compete with.
#8 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 PM

I'm assuming that you want to shop local and don't want raw milk. My guess? It'd be cheaper and safer to see if you can buy a gallon of the stuff they ship to market than to try to home pasteurize.
#9 of 9 Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
If you aren't comfortable drinking it raw (there are a lot of benefits), I'm sure it's still better to pasturized good quality milk yourself at home.

mother earth news suggusts to heat it slowly and gently (or in a double boiler) to 145 and hold it there for 30 minutes. I'm sure there are other methods as well.
Ah, and here I was thinking it needed to be a lot hotter and took longer. Yeah, if it's that easy, you could do it at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page