10 Minute Meal Ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for some really quick and easy meal ideas. We love to cook but with both of us working, we just spend too much time in the evenings with the cooking and cleaning up. Last night, because we had people stopping by to look at our apartment (prospective tenants), I threw together a really quick meal: pan-fried crusted salmon (corn meal and Old Bay seasoning) with steamed (from frozen) veggies. And I thought, why can't every night be so easy???

The only easy meals that we seem to have in our repetoire are:

- some kind of fish, with breadcrumbs or cornmeal, mixed with herbs or spices
- veggie biriyani - I found a biriyani spice mix that I can throw into the rice cooker with some cut up veggies (fresh or frozen) or an almost instant meal
- salads are easy though sometimes too many ingredients to get together to make it into a meal

DH is not too fond of pasta, which was my go-to dish before we married, as I could make a quick sauce in the time it took to boil the pasta.

So what are some of your quick meal ideas? We don't eat beef, chicken or pork, so just fish or vegetarian meals.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#2 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 08:30 AM

Omelet with cheese & veggies

I made black bean tacos yesterday that were really quick - I had cooked a bag of black beans earlier in the week, so those were on hand. I sauteed mushroom & onion w/olive oil, mushed in some black beans until hot, added s & p, warmed corn tortillas, put a bit of sour cream & baby spinach leaves on them and added the bean filling & some Frank's. They were pretty good

Broiled white fish (I often use Mahi Mahi). Put the fish in a broiling pan on top of thin lemon slices. Pour a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, s & p & garlic on top. I buy the frozen minced garlic from Trader Joe's which eliminates peeling & chopping. Broil until done (maybe 6-10 minutes depending on thickness). You could further dress this up with herbs & maybe white wine, but this is my most basic

Salmon with mustard. Season salmon with s&p. Make a mixture of dijon, olive oil & finely minced shallot (I use regular onion if I don't have shallot). Slather generously on the salmon. Broil until done.
#3 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Our quickest meals are tacos or quesadillas.

Eggs/omelets/migas

Fried rice

Egg salad--you just have to wait for the eggs to boil
#4 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Eggs
Panini's
Quesadillas
#5 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 AM

We do egg sandwiches (over-hard egg with lettuce or spinach, maybe tomato or avocado if we've got it - on toast).

We do a lot with black beans (canned or leftover home-cooked) like black bean mexican pizzas (spread between 2 tortillas, put salsa, cheese, peppers onions black olives on top, bake about 15 minutes) - also nachos (the same, but with chips) or variations on these crispy tacos.
#6 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Black beans over rice - throw a can of black beans in a pan with some spices and stock or water to simmer while you cook some rice.
#7 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

I do spring rolls

I use cooked shrimp from my NFS and then julienne carrots, cucumbers, chives, sprouts, spinach and whatever else. I just kind of serve random veggies and we do a build-your-own kind of thing.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellendie View Post
Black beans over rice - throw a can of black beans in a pan with some spices and stock or water to simmer while you cook some rice.
What kind of spices? My beans & rice dishes are always blands-ville
#9 of 11 Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM

These are super good!

Blackbean & Avocado Tacos with Lime

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#10 of 11 Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
What kind of spices? My beans & rice dishes are always blands-ville
I just saute a shallot, add in a tomato and the (canned or precooked) beans, and some salt/pepper/cayenne to taste. Saute 5-10 minutes more. (No stock/water.) Works with any kind of bean but my LO seems to like pintos and cannellinis better than black.

I don't think it's blandsville.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#11 of 11 Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM

I second any kind of scrambled-eggy dishes (scrambled, quiche, frittata, omelet).

Also, 'food on/in bread'. This, for us, includes conventional sandwiches, wraps, open-faced sandwiches, etc. Mix up your breads, spreads, and fillings, and you've got a ton of options!

Re: salads, what about prepping ingredients once or twice a week? Leftover cooked or smoked fish is great in salads, and of course there's cheese, eggs, chickpeas, etc. if protein is an issue...

Also, pad thai is pretty quick if you have ingredients prepped. It'll probably take longer the first time or two, but it's def. an under-30-minutes meals here. I looked at several recipes/directions, but this is my go-to now: http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/200...ai_for_be.html

Spekaing of pad thai, basic veggie stir fries (with or without added tofu/seafood) are pretty quick - again, veggie chopping is the most time-consuming piece, but pre-prep, buy pre-cut, or use a food processor if you have it and you've got a really quick meal.

Also in the Asian vein, Vietnamese noodle bowls. Mix up equal parts fish sauce and lime juice with 1/2 part oil (we use canola), lots of chopped onion and some red pepper flakes. You could add some garlic or a little fresh ginger if you're so inclined. Toss some fish/shrimp or sliced tofu in a bag with it to marinate. Grill or 'psuedo-grill' on the stove top; serve with vermicelli rice noodles (just soak in boiling water 5 min.), shredded (or not!) lettuce and carrot, mint, cilantro, fresh mung bean sprouts. We pout rice vinegar mixed w/ fish sauce over the top.

Sometimes, esp in the summer, we just do a 'cold plate' dinner - fresh fruit, veg, cheese, boiled eggs, bread or crackers, maybe some marinated tofu...

Enough rambling from me...

~Sara

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page