What do you pack yourself for lunch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love good, clean, pure food. I'm a veggie lover and a fruit lover. There was a time when I was vegetarian and I loved it. I can go without meat, its not one of my favorites anyways.

My problem is that I am trying to go away from processed foods as much as possible. I'm pretty handy in the kitchen with following recipes, but I am not very creative unless I have a recipe. I just have one problem...

I work a full time job, so I bring lunch to work and I don't order out or eat fast food. Right now I'm doing lean cuisines, but I want something fresh for lunch. I really want to go raw. That way I can prepare a bunch of stuff on Sunday and eat on it all week and not having to worry about microwaving at work.

So, any raw mamas that work full time? Or any vegans/vegetarians? I'm not a sandwich girl, and I can do salads, but I want to mix it up. Thanks in advance!

Christie, DP to Kevin, mama to DD Morgen (12/07) & DSS Matthew (7/03)
#2 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 AM

I usually bring leftovers. I keep a stash of sardine cans in my office for when the family eats more than expected. But that's what works for me.

signature currently in transition
#3 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 11:16 AM

I want a food dehydrator to try raw recipes, that would be so cool.

I bring really basic foods to work with me...a serving of plain oatmeal, a piece of fruit, a small piece of cheese or yogurt, nuts, raisens, cut up raw veggies, etc. I tend to eat a little here and there throughout the day and things like that are healthy and most of the time can be stashed in my desk drawer to snack on as I wish instead of putting in the fridge.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#4 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I want a dehydrater, too! We have been pricing them, but I am running out of space to store stuff. I don't have my own kitchen, we share since we don't live on our own currently.

It sounds like a bunch of little things is key. I love cheese and fruit. I could make some hummus or something else to dip veggies in.

My mind is rolling now. I was stuck on the idea of just bringing ONE thing. But, I like the idea of smaller items.

#5 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How about vegetarian spring rolls in rice paper wraps? I fill mine with thin rice vermicelli noodles, cucumber, carrot, red pepper, mint and coriander. They travel well and are very tasty. I take a small container of dipping sauce too - soy sauce or Thai sweet chili sauce etc.

You can make up a batch at the beginning of the week, and they'll last at least a few days (if you can resist the temptation to eat them all!).

Sushi salad is easy too - make up sushi rice and mix in veggies and sesame seeds and just leave it in a container, rather than rolling it up in nori seaweed.

I also like to fill pita bread with roast veggies and hummus.
#6 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
How about vegetarian spring rolls in rice paper wraps? I fill mine with thin rice vermicelli noodles, cucumber, carrot, red pepper, mint and coriander. They travel well and are very tasty. I take a small container of dipping sauce too - soy sauce or Thai sweet chili sauce etc.

You can make up a batch at the beginning of the week, and they'll last at least a few days (if you can resist the temptation to eat them all!).

Sushi salad is easy too - make up sushi rice and mix in veggies and sesame seeds and just leave it in a container, rather than rolling it up in nori seaweed.

I also like to fill pita bread with roast veggies and hummus.
Can I get the rice noodles and paper at a regular grocery store? They sound really tasty!

#7 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrunchymama View Post
Can I get the rice noodles and paper at a regular grocery store? They sound really tasty!
I buy at my local supermarket. It has an International food section - lots of rice noodles, Asian sauces, etc. The selection is better at an Asian food store or in Chinatown, if you live in a city with one, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for them. I find that noodles and rice paper wraps are pretty neutral tasting, so brands don't matter. The real highlight are the flavours and textures that you like - fresh veggies, flavourful herbs etc.

Wrapping with the rice paper takes a little patience and practice, but it's really just like wrapping up a burrito with a really thin wrap.
#8 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post
I buy at my local supermarket. It has an International food section - lots of rice noodles, Asian sauces, etc. The selection is better at an Asian food store or in Chinatown, if you live in a city with one, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for them. I find that noodles and rice paper wraps are pretty neutral tasting, so brands don't matter. The real highlight are the flavours and textures that you like - fresh veggies, flavourful herbs etc.

Wrapping with the rice paper takes a little patience and practice, but it's really just like wrapping up a burrito with a really thin wrap.
Awesome, thanks! I have looked in the asian section before at my supermarket, but I just don't recall seeing rice paper. I mean, never looked for it, so probably just over looked it. I am definitely going to try this out.

#9 of 12 Old 06-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Leftovers

Plain yogurt with honey & homemade granola (I bring the granola in a separate container so it stays crunchy)

Good cheese (I'm loving aged gouda right now) with rice crackers or Mary's Gone Crackers

Chopped salad with something added for protein - feta, cold cuts or leftover chicken often

Veggies & homemade dip (after I've had company I love eating the leftover crudite)

Ham salad with crackers (I love ham salad, may not be your cup of tea)
#10 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 AM

When I was working, I always packed myself a salad for lunch. They did always include meat, I think, but these are some of my favorites (usually I'd eat the same one all week and then something different the next week).

Taco salad - beans, cheese, green chiles, olives, tomatoes, onions, etc. over greens.
Tropical salad - chicken, banana, peanut, coconut over greens (I know it sounds weird, but it's fabulous with a nice tangy dressing).
Duck salad - smoked duck breast, blue cheese, dried cranberries, pecans over greens.
Liver salad - scoops of duck liver flan and sliced kumquats over greens.

But honestly, even just a handful of nuts, some cubes of cheese, a hard cooked egg, some lentils/beans over a bed of greens and veggies with a nice dressing can go a long way. Just be sure to have plenty of fat in the meal so you feel satisfied.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrunchymama View Post
I am definitely going to try this out.
Great! Here's a recipe from Epicurious to try:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...r-Rolls-105012

There are a lot more listed at that site, if you want to try a few.

You can probably find a video on wrapping with rice paper on Youtube too.
#12 of 12 Old 06-16-2010, 01:23 PM

My sides are usually the same:
fruit (usually an apple)
cut veggies (usually carrots)
nuts & raisins
a small piece of cheese

For the main dish, I have sandwiches, a salad (usually with feta and olives), or leftovers. Often I'll make a leftover salad, piling a little bit of leftover dinner onto a bed of lettuce.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page