What food item do you just dislike? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went through a time years ago when a wouldn't eat cotatge cheese or baked beans, even though I liked them before. One day I decided to try them again, and foundd I liked them.

About the only thing I can think of that I've tried and don't like is boiled peanuts. But I only tried them once, years ago, so I'd probably try one again if it was offered me. (I was working in SC at the time... )

Oh - I'm not big on anchovies. I can tolerate a little, say in a salad dressing, but it's still not on my list of foods I'd choose to eat.
#62 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post

Sorry, this just made me laugh. I can't imagine falling into a large enough quantity of fresh tuna that I would have to can some of it. Honestly, I've never heard of anyone canning their own tuna.
It's all good, lol. I had it when a family friend caught a bunch and canned and froze some. Compared to even a good factory canned albacore, it was gooood!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#63 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I love okra and beets.

I do like fennel if it is cooked but it makes my mouth itch. It is strange. I am not fond of anise flavor. I planted some Chervile thinking it is kind of pretty and I might have a use for a tiny bit. It has gone wild! It spews seeds and vomits plants everywhere. I am pulling up chervile like weeds. I don't like it! I just wanted a tiny bit!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#64 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen1174 View Post
It's all good, lol. I had it when a family friend caught a bunch and canned and froze some. Compared to even a good factory canned albacore, it was gooood!
I live in the Midwest and I cannot even imagine an abundance of tuna. It is expensive here except canned.

#65 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I love okra and beets.

I do like fennel if it is cooked but it makes my mouth itch. It is strange. I am not fond of anise flavor. I planted some Chervile thinking it is kind of pretty and I might have a use for a tiny bit. It has gone wild! It spews seeds and vomits plants everywhere. I am pulling up chervile like weeds. I don't like it! I just wanted a tiny bit!
Sounds like oral allergy syndrome. An annoying affliction because it eliminates a couple dozen fresh fruits, veggies and nuts for me.

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#66 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen1174 View Post
Sounds like oral allergy syndrome. An annoying affliction because it eliminates a couple dozen fresh fruits, veggies and nuts for me.
Hey! you are right! I do have asthma and pollen allergies!

#67 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
did you happen to see the NYtimes article about why people hate it?
there's even several anti-cilantro hate groups out there. (but i love it!)
I used to detest cilantro. Made life difficult when my father married a Central American. Then I had an NAET treatment for a cilantro allergy, and now I love the stuff!!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#68 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
did you happen to see the NYtimes article about why people hate it?
there's even several anti-cilantro hate groups out there. (but i love it!)
I had an interesting experience with cilantro. I kept tasting this stuff in various restaurant dishes, and couldn't figure out what it was, but I hated it. I eventually discovered that it was cilantro...and now I like it. I have no idea how that worked, though - as soon as I identified it, I was okay with it. So strange.

Oh - and I forgot sticky rice. I love rice - brown rice, white rice, wild rice (I know - different plant), red rice - steamed, fried, pilaf, risotto - I don't care. Rice is delicious. Sticky rice makes me gag.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#69 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Hey! you are right! I do have asthma and pollen allergies!
Definitely helps me to at least know what it is, even though I can't do much about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
I used to detest cilantro. Made life difficult when my father married a Central American. Then I had an NAET treatment for a cilantro allergy, and now I love the stuff!!
Interesting! Wish we could afford something like that, I'd totally try it.

#70 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
The rice part is fine...it's the raw fish part that I can't do.
Oh. Raw fish is sashimi. Sushi is rice flavored with sweet rice vinegar. Not all sushi has raw fish in it. Some have just vegetables, some have cooked things like crab and shrimp, some have tofu, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post
2xy, thanks for explaining the beets aversion....I never could understand that one...beets are so sweet and yummy, but they do taste a bit like dirt and I can see that being a negative (I like that about them; they taste earthy in my definition!).
I don't mind earthy. I think mushrooms taste earthy. I've heard other people say that beets are sweet, and I don't get any sweetness at all from them. They just taste like crumbly, musty dirt to me. When I was a kid, our house had a basement with a dirt floor, and beets taste like that basement smelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
I'm sure it's not any different than home canning domestic rabbit, or chicken, or quail, or goat, or lamb....
To be honest, I don't know anyone who cans meat. Not even my super crunchy, hippie friends do that. An abundance of meat around here would be frozen, not canned, in most cases.

I LOOOOVE cilantro, and fresh basil, and arugula, and all those green leafy things.
#71 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

Let's see:

Sardines
Pickled Herring
Oysters
All other fish except:
Shrimp
Scallops...must be really good scallops wrapped in bacon.

Pickle Loaf
Bologna
Braunschweiger
Limberger Cheese

Oh I know there are more. Let me think.

eta - Organ Meats
Chicken heads or feet
Beef Tongue
Brains

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#72 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
cooked spinach
beets
eggplant
butternut squash

That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure there's more.
#73 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I don't like bologna either. ugh!

My family DROVE to California (which takes three days) and spent two weeks driving up and down it visiting relatives. My parents kept sandwich stuff in a big ice chest in the mini van.

To this day neither me nor my sisters can eat bologna, I didn't even really like it before that.

#74 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM

My Dad would eat Bologna sandwiches. You fry the bologna and then top with cheese. Most likely Velveeta type cheese.

When I was a kid I ate Bologna. But then I ate it and got stomach flu. I can't stomach the thought of eating it ever again.

Most of the things in my list I haven't tried. I refuse to try.

Add bugs and worms to the list.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#75 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM

My husband loves pickled herring in wine sauce and sardines. I say Get away from me til you brush your teeth and gargle!

#76 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Kiwi. They look like monkey balls.

Also peaches, because they are fuzzy. And it doesn't matter if they're in a defuzzed form. They used to be fuzzy and that's all that matters. See Kiwi.

And water chestnuts. The texture skeeves me out.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#77 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 PM

Plums
Raisins...they look like dried flies.

#78 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm usually a pretty adventurous eater, but there's a lot of stuff I just don't like.

-I can't do spicy. It's physically painful to me
-I can't stand salad greens of any kind. I can do mild lettuces and baby spinach, but I really don't like lettucy greens in any large quantities. They all taste bitter to me. I wish I liked salads better because they're healthy and easy to make, but I just don't. Don't even get me started on stuff like arugula or endive (Goes right to my pet iguana...she loves it!)
-Raw tomatoes. I've never liked them, even fresh, ripe from the garden. I can finally eat them in a caprese type salad, but only if each bite to tomato is accompanied by bread. I LOVE cooked tomatoes!
-Okra, Fennel, any veggie described as mucilagenous, peppers, raw onions
-calamari
-tripe or andouille sausage
-mayonnaise (omg yuck!)
-mushrooms are sorta on my list. I really like most of them (portabella and shitake...not so much!), but my body doesn't really like to digest them, so I try not to eat them.

There's other stuff...I'll think of it later!

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#79 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
i loathe vinegar. therefore, i dislike pickles and home-canned green beans. I don't even like to clean with it.
my husband's favorite thing ever? vinegar. fun, fun, fun.
Me too, except I do like to clean with it. Perhaps that's why I don't like to eat it

Amanda - wife to DH Kellyjog.gif, Mummers to Trentreading.gif born 03/03/05 Bridgetdust.gif born 08/08/07 and a IT'S A BOY! Kennedy babyboy.gifborn 02/20/11!
#80 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
-Raw tomatoes. I've never liked them, even fresh, ripe from the garden. I can finally eat them in a caprese type salad, but only if each bite to tomato is accompanied by bread. I LOVE cooked tomatoes!
I was the exact opposite for years. I loved raw tomatoes and hated cooked ones. Now, I'm good with either.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#81 of 114 Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Organ meats. Yuck.

I don't like cooked spinach by itself, but I love it when it's in things, and I love fresh spinach.

Green beans. I keep trying them, but I keep disliking them.

Celery. Can't stand it. Can't stand the flavor, the texture, the strings, it's all just NASTY.

Beets. :P

I don't like crunchy things mixed in with non-crunchy things. Crunchy things are usually fine by themselves, but I don't like them mixed in with other stuff.

Canned corn. No, no, no, no, no. Fresh or frozen. Canned tastes weird.
#82 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Onions. People try to hide them and trick me but one tiny onion sliver will ruin a whole dish for me.
I know this is OT, but one of my fav stories is about my mother and *her* mother in law.

Once during a visit MIL took over the kitchen as usual. When we were alone, my mom complained -- "MIL knows I hate onions so she chops them so fine so I can't even pick them out."

Later I was in the kitchen with my MIL. She said, "Your mother thinks she doesn't like onions, but if I chop them up fine, she can't even tell".

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#83 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM

I feel like I'm not a picky eater until I really think about it! I think the things i don't like are commonly disliked foods (?) so I don't feel like I'm picky....does that make sense?

beets
black olives
avocado
blue cheese and other colored, smelly cheeses
turnips
liver
canned tuna
cottage cheese
tofu
OMG--WATER CHESTNUTS!

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#84 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I don't like crunchy things mixed in with non-crunchy things. Crunchy things are usually fine by themselves, but I don't like them mixed in with other stuff.
I tend to be this way, too. But, I first noticed it with unhealthy food. I really don't like nuts in chocolate bars, chewy cookies, etc. What I'm eating should be crunchy or non-crunchy, not both at once!

#85 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Kiwi. They look like monkey balls.

Also peaches, because they are fuzzy. And it doesn't matter if they're in a defuzzed form. They used to be fuzzy and that's all that matters. See Kiwi.
I'll never look at kiwi the same again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I know this is OT, but one of my fav stories is about my mother and *her* mother in law.

Once during a visit MIL took over the kitchen as usual. When we were alone, my mom complained -- "MIL knows I hate onions so she chops them so fine so I can't even pick them out."

Later I was in the kitchen with my MIL. She said, "Your mother thinks she doesn't like onions, but if I chop them up fine, she can't even tell".
That is hilarious! Sounds like they were pretty gracious to each other??

#86 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 AM

I won't eat melons, pumpkins, pears, pineapple, jello, muffins of any kind, beets, animal milk. Lots of common foods I've never even tried like pumpkin pie. I don't care for meat except for seafood. I used to gag at the thought of blueberries, never actually had one, but once I forced myself to taste it I liked them as well as many other things like avocados.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#87 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 AM

I love crunchy in soft foods! Like adding potato chips to sandwiches, or wrapping a soft shell around a hard shell taco. mmmmmm.

Okay, I have a ton of foods I don't care for or won't eat.

Seafood - except canned tuna
Mayo - except with the canned tuna
Eggs - unless they are scrambled and with cheese
All Meat - I used to like bacon, but now the thought of it grosses me out
Mushrooms - any kind, but will occasionally eat on pizza
Cooked spinach - in a dish is fine
BBQ flavor
Mustard
Green olives
Smelly cheese
Cottage Cheese - in lasagna is fine
Walnuts and Pecans - I keep trying these because I want to like them, but blech, nasty.
I don't like very spicey stuff. Just makes my mouth burn, does not enhance flavor.

Bananas and yogurt will make me gag sometimes, but I still like them.

I am going to have to try beets, I don't remember the last time I had them, and they definitely weren't fresh. I like stuff that tastes different, so I think earthy might be good.

DH hates onions, peas, and celery - I find cooking for him difficult sometimes, especially the onion part. I'm trying to get him to learn to like them, but it's not working.

Mama to three

#88 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 01:31 AM

arugula
rutabagas
plain Greek yogurt
dark poultry meat
miso
#89 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 AM

Bananas
raisens
winter squash ate way to much of it one year when my moms garden froze
bell peppers especially green
beets
dill unless its in pickles
fennel
most seafood
oatmeal but only when its cooked in breakfast way i like cookies an stuff
#90 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post
DH hates onions, peas, and celery - I find cooking for him difficult sometimes, especially the onion part. I'm trying to get him to learn to like them, but it's not working.
Have you tried carmelized?

I need to show this thread to DH. The ONLY thing (and I truly mean ONLY) he dislikes is fruitcake. He thinks all people with "food preferences", as I like to call them, must have some awful experience in their past that scarred them to make them not like the food. I think he's the weird one, but he just doesn't believe me!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page