What food item do you just dislike? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm.. tomatoes (altho I'm learning to like them as an adult, especially small ones), olives, beets (never experienced fresh tho) and canned tuna fish. My sister and my children have an aversion to tomatoes too; our pedi said it was probably a food allergy of sorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 AM

Flaked coconut
Walnuts
Raisins

Any of the above will make me gag and scrape my tongue to get them off. It's truly an aversion. I kind of have a texture thing going on.

I also really don't like tuna (canned or otherwise), beets, fennel and I hate licorice. Oh yeah, no tomatoes either (but I'll eat tomato sauce if it's not too chunky and I love a good salsa).

Don't like green bell pepper either, but I do like yellow, orange and red ones and jalepenos.

I'm sure I could add a bunch more stuff to the list, but I am way better than I used to be. And now I have a picky eater kid who hardly eats anything and it's driving me crazy!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#93 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 AM

Raw tomatoes, unless it's a just-picked, perfectly ripe heirloom with just a sprinkle of salt.

Oysters, clams, and mussels. Oyster shooters and oysters in the half-shell, eech. The thought of clam chowder makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

I used to not like fresh fruit other than apples, but I'm coming around on this one. My kids and I picked about ten pounds of strawberries at the organic u-pick last week. I think I ate almost as many berries as the kids! Same with home-canned foods. A few years ago you couldn't have paid me to spread someone's homemade jam on my toast or eat someone's homemade pickles. Last summer my DH bought a jar of farm-fresh salsa at the farmer's market, and he talked me into having just one teeny-tiny taste. I wound up eating all the salsa in a sitting. Now I'm looking at doing my own canning! However, I will still NOT eat the pickled eggs my FIL gets from his neighbor lady. Yuck.

About me: I  caffix.giftreehugger.gifcold.gifknit.gifphotosmile2.gif, and read.gif. Oh, and I'm dizzy.gif with love.gif for DH and DCx3!

#94 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I know this is OT, but one of my fav stories is about my mother and *her* mother in law.

Once during a visit MIL took over the kitchen as usual. When we were alone, my mom complained -- "MIL knows I hate onions so she chops them so fine so I can't even pick them out."

Later I was in the kitchen with my MIL. She said, "Your mother thinks she doesn't like onions, but if I chop them up fine, she can't even tell".
My cousin, who I'm pretty close with, will do this if we are eating at her house. Drives me crazy! She thinks she can "cure" me of my hatred of onions.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#95 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
And water chestnuts. The texture skeeves me out.
Oh me too! My mom loves water chestnuts and puts them in everything and just yuck.
#96 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Kiwi. They look like monkey balls.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#97 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM

Any processed soy is absolutely disgusting...soy milk, soy cheese, soy burgers, etc. Otherwise, I'm not really a picky either and I read through most of the first page and I either like or am ok with the food items that everyone listed they don't like so far.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#98 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Lobster, scallops, shrimp, bratwurst, brussel sprouts, fresh or frozen green beans (canned are ok)

obstruct livery vehicles

#99 of 114 Old 06-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Mayo. Anything made with mayo, with mayo on it, near mayo, etc. Ick!

Canned tuna.

Pickled herring--you'd think this wouldn't come up much, but my DH loves it and my DD apparently does too.

Organ meats.

That's pretty much it. I will eat, and probably be ok with, pretty much anything else.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#100 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Mama! View Post
Onions. People try to hide them and trick me but one tiny onion sliver will ruin a whole dish for me.
This. And they don't like me either. I will be up at night, feeling sick from them. No shallots, no scallions, no red, white, yellow. Gah. There are people in my life too who like to sneak them in, but I don't see them often. I hate when I'm at a restaurant and order a sandwich without onions and then it arrives and I know it had onions on it and they just took them off for my order. The taste permeates everything.

I also don't like bleu cheese and other moldy tasting cheeses.
Pickled herring - mostly because it's never without a ton of onions.
Organ meats - I sat downwind once when my dad was eating kidney at a restaurant and whew! Smelled like pee. The appearance, taste, texture and smell of organ meats are hard to get past. His family was a different generation and they loved organ meats. I remember my grandma making tongue and peeling it. Ewwww.
Raw oysters. I just can't get past that slimy feeling.

I don't like, but will eat if I'm at someone's house and don't want to be rude,
green peppers, cucumber, okra, garlicky sausage like kielbasa, I'm sure there are other things.
#101 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 01:04 PM

Raw onions give me a migraine. Even a sliver. I hate hate hate when people play "hide the onion".

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#102 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Raw onions give me a migraine. Even a sliver. I hate hate hate when people play "hide the onion".
me, too. I do okay with cooked onions, but not raw. I hate when they are hard to pick out of things.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#103 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Mushrooms - all i can think of is ... fungus
Green Peppers
Liver like in ramaki I just can't eat it yet... but I need to work on that to be more TF like

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#104 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM

The major condiments. Mayonnaise is an absolute no, not even a little, no way, nu-uh. Mustard and ketchup I can stand in very small quantities, mixed into something else (i.e. mustard in a vinaigrette). Sour cream and all creamy dressings are also a big no. (I will use sour cream in baked goods sometimes though)

-Beets
-Blue Cheese
-Liver (though I recently discovered chicken liver pate is delicious!) or really any organ meats (working on this)
-Canned meat products of any kind.
-Coconut (mainly dried, I'm overcoming my aversion to all other forms)
-Raw celery (in a mire poix is fine)
-Eel
-Pickled jalapeños
-Chinese "sweets" (I live in San Francisco, I feel like I have to dodge these things at every turn! Terrible, because they are usually being given to me by someone trying to be nice. Blech)
-Goat cheese
-Processed cheese of any sort

I feel like I've come a long way though! I used to be the pickiest eater ever. I wouldn't eat anything that was creamy, "popped" (grapes, peas, fish eggs), onions, corn, anything that looked like it came from an animal, etc...
Now I'll at least try most stuff. I've come to love just about any kind of seafood, even stuff my friends won't eat (oysters, squid, octopus, salmon roe). There are still a lot of things I don't really like much, but will eat.

ETA: I won't eat anything made from soy or highly processed foods, but that is mostly health concerns, not because I have a real big aversion to their taste.

"Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free, 'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be."
#105 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 05:37 PM

cooked bell peppers and red bell peppers in any form
raisins
panna cotta
jello
Almost any pickled vegetable - but I love olives & half sour pickles
caraway seeds
tapioca & rice puddding
lima beans
peaches
baba ganoush (the texture of it is awful)
fruit ice cream
cooked strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or cherries (like in a pie)
orange marmalade
lime or lemon pies

I think that is about it - it's a much longer list than I thought it would be... especially because I don't consider myself a really picky eater in the scope of what I eat (lacto-ovo vegetarian, hardly eat processed foods).

Erica
DD September 2010, m/c October 2009
#106 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM

raw celery... since I was a kid, makes me gag. can eat cooked in soup and stuff though.

raw tomatoes used to be the same way until I was 16 or so... now i really like them in salad or even alone.... but generally need some oil/vinegar/salt

mostly love everything but am super picky about combinations of flavors (dh made something with yams and tomatoes once and I could not handle it!)

and I don't love green peppers or raw onions but can tolerate them.

and I really don't like that pectin fruit pie filling stuff.
#107 of 114 Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM

This is a funny thread! I love love love food!! I am a pretty adventurous eater; I like pretty much everything.
I can think of only 2 things I can't stand:
-black licorice candy
-tripe ( I have tried it all manner of ways but just can't get into it)
#108 of 114 Old 06-25-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraCate View Post
About the only thing I can think of that I've tried and don't like is boiled peanuts. But I only tried them once, years ago, so I'd probably try one again if it was offered me. (I was working in SC at the time... )

boiled peanuts: blech! Let's take something that could taste awesome if we roasted then and instead let's just waste them by soaking them in salty water until they're all bloated and mushy and call them food.
(my DH, who I met in alabama, loves them.)

I hate grits, green peppers, water chestnut, and pickles, too.

there are quite a lot of foods I have a tenuous relationship with. 9 times out of 10, I like them fine, but the texture or taste might turn the wrong way and throw me off the whole dish. That list includes but is not limited to most fermented foods, onions, olives, mushrooms, eggplant (anything that can get slimy.) and milk.
#109 of 114 Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lamb, mutton, anything like that. I can eat some lamb, if it's really young. I generally hate goat cheese, but some I like. I don't like the cheeses that overwhelm with ammonia, either.

I used to hate mashed potatoes & celery, but I've been getting potatoes and celery in my produce delivery so I've revisited mashed potatoes and eating celery raw. Celery is good raw with a dip, but I can't really eat it plain because it is bitter and numbs my tongue. I still don't like mashed potatoes a whole lot, but they can be pretty good when I make them myself. I make them without adding milk, just mashing up cooked potato with butter, or garlic so that helps. But the instant mashed potatoes that we had in school lunches, or my mom made--yuck. I used to try them after awhile, and even the smell made me ill.

I loathe chocolate covered strawberries. Something about wet chocolate--just seeing people eat those dripping things disgusts me. They can probably taste OK, but they usually don't. And if the strawberries are really good, I want them alone. The chocolate they are dipped in is usually not very good anyway.

Which reminds me, I hate bad chocolate. Like the Palmers brand with the hydrogenated oils. I tried some not long ago, and I had to spit it out. White chocolate can induce the same reaction.

I also hate black licorice flavored stuff, and tripe, but I've only had tripe once. It smelled like dog food.

I used to hate green peppers and beets, but now I like them well enough.

I'm not really picky, I can eat foods I hate, for the most part. I still try and eat lamb and goat cheese occasionally, that's how I have found out there are some of these I like. But Boca burgers, I cannot stand them. I used to really like them, and then a flip switched and I can't tolerate the taste at all. And that disgusting chocolate, I can't even swallow it. I don't know what it is. I think in part it must be texture, which is a big part of why I dislike mashed potatoes and chocolate covered strawberries.
#110 of 114 Old 06-25-2010, 03:44 AM

Goat cheese. Blech. I can't even eat something that's been touching goat cheese.
#111 of 114 Old 06-25-2010, 03:46 AM

liver
#112 of 114 Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM

I hate iceberg lettuce, especially shredded. I will.not.eat mushrooms or anything that lives in water (fish, shellfish, kelp, etc.) I can sorta tolerate mushrooms if they're tiny and mixed in really well, but it skeeves me out. Sea life - the smell is too much and I can't eat anything that contains it or has touched it.

DH can't stand any kind of bean, mayo, coconut or coconut flavor, and cherries (though he likes cherry-flavored sodas.)

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#113 of 114 Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

I hate liver, which sucks because I know it's great for you, and raising chickens I have access to "organic free range" chicken liver! But dh eats them all, I can't stomach it. The iron taste and the texture just gross me out.
#114 of 114 Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Oh, black licorice, uck! The thought of it makes me gag. I have a hard time with seafood (outside of fish). Like crab and lobster and shrimp, I mean to me they're basically sea bugs, and that grosses me out. It's like eating a cockroach (yes I know in many cultures people eat bugs, yay for them, but my culture doesn't and I have a serious aversion to insects, uggh).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page