What won't you eat....for health reasons - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any firm nevers except pork (and that's for religious, not health reasons) but I do try to avoid gross fats and margarine. But I don't have any "nevers" because I would have to do a lot of investigating at friends' houses and since I eat decently most of the time, I'm not worried about the occasional HFCS pop or some onions fried in canola oil, even though I don't do that stuff at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Never:
- any fake sugar (aspartame, sucralose, saccharine, etc.)
- ground/processed meat

Try to avoid:
- HFCS
- hydrogenated oils
- tuna and other mercury-heavy fish
- any 'fake-y' kind of food - eg EggBeaters and stuff, 'low-fat' versions of things where they took out the fat and replaced it with chemical sweeteners and algal byproducts, generally anything with a long list of weird ingredients IYKWIM.

Me, DH, DD1 (5/2009) and DD2 (10/2011).
I'm not crunchy. I'm evidence-based.

Vaccines save lives.

#33 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been following the Blood Type Diet for over a year, and since January I've been following a personalized SWAMI, computer software written by Dr. Peter D'Adamo, the guy who wrote the blood type diet books). Eating this way has really helped me minimize my fibromyalgia symptoms, more than I could just by cutting out one or two foods or food categories on my own.

My "avoid" list includes milk (but I can have a few specific cheeses), some beans (but not all), coconut, corn, coffee, tomato, and wheat. I also avoid artificial sweeteners, colorings, and flavors. And I keep kosher, so that means no pork or shellfish, no meat with dairy, and everything I buy (except for raw produce and eggs) needs to be certified kosher.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#34 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Interesting lists. Here's ours:

- coconut (I'm allergic)
- processed food in general (but we will occasionally eat those that are "all natural and have a real food ingredient list)
- fast food... at all... ever
- Soda (although I do occasionally drink a fountain soda with lemon)
- avoid white flour and sugar (hard to completely avoid and I do sometimes bake with unbleached white flour)
- anything artificial or with preservatives, including lunch meat and that nasty non-food called "hot dogs"
- meat that we don't know the source of (use local farmers and buy by the animal/side)
- most mass-produced dairy and eggs and frankendairy (such as margarine)
- farm-raised or unsustainable seafood
- soy
- hydrogenated oils
#35 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM

I am very simple......meat in a can=NO!!

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#36 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM

I do Feingold, so no artificial additives, preservatives and dyes. I wish I could say I was 100%, but I have lapses. Mostly I do okay, but occassionally I don't.

No margerine, no artificial sweeteners, no fake dairy whipped toppings or fake creams.

I don't drink soda pop, but dh and ds#2 do. I wish they didn't, but there you go. I will say they are at least drinking less and I am hopeful that one day they will not drink it at all.

I cannot remember the last time I had a donut or even baked goods from our grocery. They all taste too sweet to me now and just "off."

I am leery of highly processed soy products, but I LOVE the original Gardenburgers and have one now and then.

I am cautious about tuna, but love it so eat it maybe twice a month.

Non-organic milk makes me nervous. Once in a blue moon we have it if the grocery is out of what we normally get, but usually we get organic. I am starting to purchase organic cheeses. I would prefer to get non-homogenized milk, but it is harder to find without driving into the city for it.

Oh, I used to LOVE that lemon-flavored instant tea. I won't drink it now.

There are still a lot of things I would like to add to list, but we are slowly changing the way we eat...it's been a process. We still have a ways to go.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#37 of 38 Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

and.. hotdogs. i do not see how people can eat that let alone how they consider that to be a "kid" food. omg.
THAT! Plus no fake sugars, fake/trans fats, HFCS, MSG, and I really try to keep out all artificial colors/dyes. On the last one, I don't sweat it when we're out and we get popsicles or something, but at home, it's only 100% juice bars. We still all eat too much sugar, fat, wine and refined carbs though. My DD is gluten intolerant and we switched from whole wheat everything to GF foods, which are more refined.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#38 of 38 Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 AM

I am lenient on everything more or less... But fried (deeply)food - no. That's the thing!

Oh, not only..., as it seems
Probably more... High content of trans fats in product... I think they might slow down the metabolism - same as fried foods.

Also I suspect that manufactured mayonnaise has something really bad about it...always heavy feeling afterwards...
And same thing with manufactured popcorn (exept of fat-free kind)...the oils (butter) in it are not good.

Before I used to watch MSG, as it was known for contributing to weight gain, but a new trustworthy research debunked it...
I consume it sporadically when ordering Chinese or in restaurant.

Artificial sweeteners just don't taste right...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page