how to ween yourself off soda - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any tips? hubs and I grew up in soda pop households and have a baby on the way and DO NOT want this addiction perpetuating.
We obviously want to quit drinking it too...so HARD

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#2 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

How many do you currently drink a week? Just taper down off of that number each week. I have no problem letting go of soda, it is something I grew up with and enjoyed drinking, but I wasn't shocked by it when I stopped drinking it. Even now, the thought of soda is far from my mind when I think about what I want to drink.

Maybe you find something about the soda appealing, like the taste, carbonation, caffeine, etc? You could substitute some of the sodas you take away each week with something else like carbonated water with some fruit added?

Congrats on your baby! I hope you find a good fix to help you wean from soda.

Christie, DP to Kevin, mama to DD Morgen (12/07) & DSS Matthew (7/03)
#3 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 PM

i was addicted to orangina. i ended up figuring out how much it was costing me to sustain my addiction and I just stopped buying it. I still really miss it but water is much cheaper .

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#4 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 04:55 PM

I don't find tapering off to work well for me.

I switched to iced tea with stevia and that fulfilled my desire for a sweet taste.

It was very effective for me.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 05:19 PM

I weaned my husband off of it. It took years. And he's easily reattached to it if it comes in the house.

Honestly, the best thing to do is to stop buying it. If you like iced tea, experiment until you find one that you can tolerate (herbal, obviously), and go from there. IME, Rooibos makes a nice iced tea without caffeine, as does Celestial Seasoning's Lemon Zinger. Most are not flavorful enough for my taste.

Then sweeten it to your taste and slowly reduce the amount of sweet you use until you can tolerate it unsweetened.

During the summer I usually always keep iced tea for my DH in the fridge, along with the makings for limeade (simple syrup, lime juice) and sometimes watermelon juice. I've managed to keep my DH's soda addiction to maybe 1/day at this point with that (which is actually an increase from the none he was drinking for a while there).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM

I substitute brewed iced tea (I'm not worried about the caffeine) or seltzer.
#7 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM

I agree that having some other "drinks" that are healthier, but aren't water might help. Juice is still really sugary, but having some 100% juice on hand, and some sparkling water, and ice tea if you like it, might help. Basically healtheir drinks that still "feel" like a drink rather than just plain water. Even putting ice and some lime or lemon in your water maybe.

Definitely just stop buying it. You'll crave it like crazy for a little while but it has SO many addictive factors in it (sugar, caffeine, possibly others) that if your still drinking it, it will be really hard to cut back.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 PM

I just wanted to mention I drink tea with caffiene in it.

I do like getting a handful of mint and muddling it up a bit then covering it in cold water. It makes really refreshing mint flavored water.

#9 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 PM

I do sparkling water or club soda with a splash of juice or a big squeeze of lime. So yummy!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#10 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

wow, thanks ladies...all of your suggestions are really helpful...especially lemon zinger iced tea...yum!

Learning to be a one income family. Learning to be a mama. Living with lots of heartbeat.gif

#11 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosehip View Post
I substitute brewed iced tea (I'm not worried about the caffeine) or seltzer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I just wanted to mention I drink tea with caffiene in it.
She's pg, that's why I suggested non-caffeinated teas. But I'm also not allowed to brew caffeinated teas for DH - he won't be able to sleep.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM

I'm working on cutting soda out of my life too. I keep motivated by thinking about how many calories I'm saving by just drinking water. It helps at my weaker moments

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#13 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

I switched to ice tea, too, and don't really even miss soda.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM

I quit soda a last year. Here is what helped me-

1.Quit buying soda. It's just to hard to resist when in readily available.

2. Get something to take its place.
Iced water, iced tea, lemonade or iced herbal teas(be careful about herbal teas since you are prego)

3. Always bring a refillable bottle filled with ^^^^ one of those or whatever you want. So you won't be tempted to grab a soda from a gas station whatever. I've brought my water bottle with me into restaurants and have never had a problem with it. I like stainless steel bottles.

Good luck to you.
#15 of 24 Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
She's pg, that's why I suggested non-caffeinated teas. But I'm also not allowed to brew caffeinated teas for DH - he won't be able to sleep.
Oh! I didn't even notice. You are so tiny suddenlyamama

I like raspberry zinger

#16 of 24 Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 AM

Get pregnant?

Actually, I don't recommend it because then you'll have withdrawal headaches and mornings sickness at the same time.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#17 of 24 Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 AM

One trick that seems to work for me is to require myself to drink an amount of water equal to the amount of the pop first, before I drink the pop. This automatically and without thought reduces the amount of pop I am drinking because drinking the water first does satisfy the thirst, and often, makes me full enough that I don't take more than a drink or two from the pop. It also serves to up my water intake, which I have a hard time maintaining sometimes. You aren't really denying yourself the pop, so there's no sense of wanting something you can't have.
#18 of 24 Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post
Get pregnant?

Actually, I don't recommend it because then you'll have withdrawal headaches and mornings sickness at the same time.
She *is* pregnant... that's why she wants to quit.

OP - I grew up drinking soda. When I moved abroad the first time, I discovered sparkling water and that was the end of my love affair with soda. I was drinking diet coke, actually, which I started drinking when Coke switched to HFCS and I didn't like the taste anymore. The fizzy of the water satisfied my need for something different. You might try that. A lot of people like it with a twist of lemon or some other flavor. I'll still drink a fountain diet coke when we eat out for dinner, if we're not having wine instead, but I drink water (filtered tap water) almost exclusively.
#19 of 24 Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

I drink lemon lime carbonated water. I still drink pop ocassionally, but that stuff with some ice cubes in it usually kills the craving. It's calorie and caffeine free, though it costs more than the pop I drink... boo erms.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 24 Old 06-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Like some other pp, I found drinking sparkling water very helpful when cutting soda from my diet. If you really need a fix for something sweet and carbonated, you can use sparkling water to make lemonade. It's really good. I've made drinks like that using pomegranate and orange juice too.
#21 of 24 Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
She *is* pregnant... that's why she wants to quit.
Oh no, sorry suddenlymama for not reading your OP carefully enough!

I really did go cold turkey when I found out I was pg a couple weeks ago (my addiction had gotten *really* bad, to the point that I was drinking one or more diet sodas a day). And my morning sickness has made it so juice or herbal teas don't sound very good.

With my other pregnancies, I would get very sick if I didn't drink enough water, so I'm trying NOT to focus on the soda flavor I'm missing, but on getting enough water for my body and baby. Your blood volume is steadily increasing and you'll need the fluid for that, also to keep headaches at bay, and to ward off UTIs, among other things. Maybe thinking about how GOOD water is for you and your baby will help you keep that perspective. Good luck!

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#22 of 24 Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 AM

I was drinking a lot of soda since my baby was born and I was at home with her (three month ago) so I told my DH, no more buying soda!!!! That is the first step, but allow yourself to have it when you go to restaurants and such, that is still cutting way back, just not having it in the house.

Shannon 30 DH 31

dd- Kennedy 03/28/10

BFB on 2/12/13 due on 10/23/2013!!!!!

#23 of 24 Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM

I quit cold turkey for Lent this year and started drinking green tea, regular iced tea w/ equal or splenda. I also drink Vitamin Water Zero and just regular water. I had my first diet coke a couple of weeks ago and it took me an entire work day to finish it.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#24 of 24 Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM

I like sparkling water, I can buy a 2 liter of plain sparkling water for 99 cents!

If you are hooked on the sweetener/flavor, try keeping a can of grape juice concentrate in the freezer, mix a spoonful in a glass of sparkling water and it is delicious, with MUCH less sugar and no artificial colors as soda pop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page