Beans/legumes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've always rather disliked them, but lately have been served/made them in ways that made me realize it was just the way they were made that i disliked.

So what type of bean is your favorite? How do you like to prepare them?

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#2 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My favorite beans are pinto and black, and I prefer them both refried with plenty of lard. Don't like kidney beans at all.

I'm currently experimenting with a primal/paleo-ish diet, though, so no beans for me right now.
#3 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM

my fave beans are white beans, particularly white beans. I like to soak em, cook em with seaweed, and garlic and cumin. sometimes we refry them. Sometimes we cook the beans, with also jalepeno's, and then when the beans are cooked through, add rice and top off with enough water to cook the rice, cook the rice, so you have brown rice and sort of... mushy beans, and serve with acv, salt, cheese, and butter and hot sauce.

oh, and also curred red lentils, either a "thai-ish" curry or an "indian-ish" curry.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#4 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Garbonzo beans, either made into hummus or used whole in a salad or eaten plain like a finger snack.

Black beans, mixed up with salsa, avacado & black olives scooped up with a healthy type of chip (flax seed chips, organic corn & sesame chips, kale chips, etc).

Pinto beans, rinsed and plain in a bowl.

Edamame.

Here's a link with recipes, clik on "beans/legumes" then "recipes":
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-0...0000000-w.html

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#5 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 PM

I like black beans too - I serve them aside chicken and rice, and I usually make them saucy with some corn and sauteed onion and garlic.

Lima beans I like mixed in with mixed vegetables more than on their own, in a sauce, again with chicken and rice

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#6 of 9 Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 PM

I love black beans & rice or pinto beans & chili (especially red chili, or just pinto beans & rice too I'm also a big fan of lentils made into a dal - basicly lentils cooked w/ coconut milk & curry powder.
#7 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

chickpea poppers are good. really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwLWDHhJHs8

and this is what i'm having for lunch today! yum. (Spinach, Chick Pea & Coconut Curry (in less than 10 mins!) - Vegetarian Vegan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx6RV...eature=related

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#8 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 PM

I mostly like lentils, or chickpeas in salads. I make several different as patties/burgers and that would be my favorite. I like a quinoa and black bean, and I make a great veggie burger based on the cooks illustrated
#9 of 9 Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Garbonzos are my favorites, love them in all kinds of ways. Hummus, whole in salads, chana masala, harira yummmm

kidney beans, chili, red beans and rice, vegie sloppy joes

great northern beans, bbq beans

black eyed peas and rice

Mexican whole black beans, black bean chili

navy bean soup

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page