Lunch Rut .... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sick of sandwiches, mac and cheese, noodles, etc. I need some new ideas for lunch. What do you all do to make lunch more appetizing?

I'll take anything at this point...I just need fresh ideas

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 12:33 AM

We make mini pizza's, cubed cheese, fruit, yogurt, rice & black beans, grilled cheese, soup, leftovers. I feel like we are in a rut also.... hth...

:
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 AM

Sometimes I make tortilla pizzas and my kids love those. Take a flour tortilla, lay it on a pizza stone put tomato sauce (almost to the edges) and cheese on it and bake it at 400 until the cheese is just right. It tastes really good and you can roll it up.

We also cut up bacon into small pieces and cook it. Pour some heavy cream over it, maybe some garlic and parmesan cheese. Then put it over pasta.

Mac-n-cheese with tuna and peas.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 07-08-2010, 12:54 AM

Ugh, lunch.... we do "taco pizza's" which would be like a quesadilla, only with corn shells, egg sandwich's, yogurt mixed with rolled oats and some veggies, fried rice.... Sometimes I make pancakes with oats, grated apple, flax seed, and kefir and we munch on those with butter .

I've got three monkeys jumping on the bed!!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 AM

I love lunch better than supper! Here's some of the stuff weve been eating.
French toast cut into strips, dunked in pureed fruit and honey.
George foreman grilled feta, bacon and tomato,wrap or sandwich
Assorted fruit veggie cheese platter
Crepes with fruit puree and honey, i use ground flax seeds to thicken the filling.
Muffins and tea
Fruit/Veg smoothies with cheese scones
granola topped with yogurt with fresh/frozen berries
when poor we make oatmeal with carob chips and mini marsh mellow, not very healthy...but the kids love it!
Old 07-08-2010, 02:39 AM

We eat leftovers for lunch. I specifically plan to make enough food at dinner at least once night a week to have lunch for the rest of the week.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
We eat leftovers for lunch. I specifically plan to make enough food at dinner at least once night a week to have lunch for the rest of the week.
What sort of dinners work well for this? I imagine some work better than others, in terms of reheating, keeping well, etc.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 PM

Ditto the lunch boredom.

We did crepes awhile ago - with yogurt and fruit, or add in pesto to your batter and ham (or 'veggie ham') for 'green eggs and ham'. That was great for awhile.

We do egg sandwiches a lot, deviled eggs would be a fun alternative, and egg tacos go over well.

Personally, I love leftover rice and indian food with an egg on top (but dd, not so much).

Muffins/yogurt/scones and fruit are lunch lately. And I keep meaning to do crackers and cheese but I'm too lazy to get around to cutting up cheese cubes (I know, less work than making muffins and scones, but I truly love those and they're good with iced coffee).

I really just want someone else to make me lunch lately, but dd1 is only 3.5 and makes really weird foodstuff (like jam, raisin, and cheese sandwiches with dry roasted edamame on them).
Old 07-08-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I have picky eaters which doesn't help either. I also try to stay away from dairy and eggs (me and my youngest especially because we seem to be intolerant of it). I LOVE cheese but it doesn't love me

I bought some hummus and pita bread yesterday from TJ's. I wanted to get some different veggies to cut up too but it's a conscious effort on my part to LIKE veggies. I'm ok with carrots, cucumbers and celery but anything else, just doesn't sound good. Plus I don't want to put the work into cutting up veggies that I don't even like

I love finger foods because they are easy and simple (and usually cost effective) but I am lacking in recipe ideas.

Thanks again and keep them coming...I'm making a grocery list based on this thread

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM

We mostly do sandwiches and leftovers too.

Some stuff my kids love:
wraps - anything, but the current kick we're on is cream cheese (tofutti's pretty good and dairy free), ham, spinach and maybe sprouts, then just roll up
ham and pineapple kabobs - just grill
pb&j english muffins
bagel pizzas - I leave the cheese off
Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
I bought some hummus and pita bread yesterday from TJ's. I wanted to get some different veggies to cut up too but it's a conscious effort on my part to LIKE veggies. I'm ok with carrots, cucumbers and celery but anything else, just doesn't sound good. Plus I don't want to put the work into cutting up veggies that I don't even like
Try red peppers with hummus! That is my favorite & DS2's as well. They are very sweet.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Bunch of ideas here... http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...box-ideas.html

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Old 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM

We usually eat leftovers for lunch too. I generally plan extras for that, because we all tend to eat at different times so something in the fridge ready to reheat is very convienant. We cook 2 whole chickens for dinner, and the leftovers are used for a variety of things. Same thing with soups, chili, burgers, currys, roasts are generally made into sandwiches, Thai pineapple rice or other rice pilafs reheat well so I always make a lot . Sometimes we have breakfast foods like omelets for lunch.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM

I second the red peppers with hummus, it is my DS's favorite as well.

For lunch we do:

Falafel (on itself or in a pita, depending)
Tabouli
Hummus with veggies, pita or in a sandwich with cucumbers
Cheese
Leftovers
Pasta salad
Fruit
If I have dough in the fridge, I'll stretch some out and cook it on the stove top and make a bruschetta topping for it
Baguette and bruschetta
Noodles and peas
Anything wrapped in a tortilla

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl View Post
Try red peppers with hummus! That is my favorite & DS2's as well. They are very sweet.
or roasted garlic hummus, yummmm

User Tag List