Agave is dangerous - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was reading in wise traditions magazine that agave syrup can cause miscarriages and stomach problems you can find out more about it on the weston A. price foundation web site. they are a legit site sorry for the bad info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 AM

Oh no! Is this true? That's awful.

jog.gifkid.gif

Old 07-10-2010, 03:23 AM

It's pretty much like HFCS except it has even more fructose. I was so bummed to learn that a few months ago because agave is awesome for using in iced coffee.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 AM

What is HFCS? I thought some fructose was good for you?:
Old 07-10-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBBYSMama View Post
What is HFCS? I thought some fructose was good for you?:
HFCS= High Fructose Corn Syrup
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inocencio View Post
I was reading in wise traditions magazine that agave syrup can cause miscarriages and stomach problems you can find out more about it on the weston A. price foundation web site. they are a legit site sorry for the bad info
i don't know why this is stuck in "Please to Meet You." Hopefully it gets moved to nutrition soon.

I found this article very informative: http://betterworldcookies.blogspot.c...nation-of.html and provides a reasonable critique of WAP's alarmist anti-agave propaganda.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Moving this to Nutrition and Good Eating.

tinybutterfly

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM

The WAP is not a 'legit site' to anyone except WAP followers . . .

And if agave caused miscarriages you would have heard about it in the mainstream news. Also, I wouldn't have a baby! =D

Seriously though, the *misinformation* on agave is alarming only in that it is so often cited. It's based on incomplete studies and illogical conclusions. Read the article linked above. Agave is not a health food but for gods sake, it's not going to kill you. And it's NOT 'basically HFCS'.

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reading with interest as I sip my morning coffee......with agave!

I had heard this before as well. From what I was able to acertain at the time, it is not agave itself that is bad, but how most of the commercial agave syrups that are sold in stores are processed that is the problem. I will see if I can find where I was reading about it and post back.

http://www.thatsfit.com/2010/02/15/d...he-agave-myth/

In the agave plant, most of the sweetness comes from a particular kind of fructose called inulin that actually has some health benefits -- it's considered a fiber. But there's not much inulin left in the actual syrup. In the manufacturing process, enzymes are added to the inulin to break it down into digestible sugar (fructose), resulting in a syrup that has a fructose content that is at best 57 percent and, much more commonly, as high as 90 percent
so it looks like in the processing of the plant, this is where the problem lies. I think raw organic cane sugar is better than agave.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Artichokie linked the blog I was going to post (and that I did post here a few weeks ago.)

Agave is "unhealthy" in the sense that it's a concentrated sweetener, and too many sugars aren't healthy: you end up with too many calories and/or you fill up on sugars and don't have enough room for healthy stuff. But agave is no more toxic than honey and healthier than white sugar. It simply needs to be consumed with common sense.

Yes, agave has fructose in it, as do fruits and fruit juices. HFCS also has fructose in it, but it's the chemical byproducts that make HFCS so bad for you, not the fructose itself.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List