Mothering Forum banner

please help! bf mama needs allergen-free recipes

675 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  spedteacher30 
#1 ·
i have to be on this crazy diet while i breastfeed. i am running out of ideas for snacks and meals, and i am getting a bit depressed from the limited food selection. i would very much appreciate any recipes and meal suggestions!

these are the only foods i can eat, if it's not on the list, i can't eat it!

meat/fish
rice
potatoes
oatmeal (don't want to eat too much, i already have oversupply issues)
veggies (except tomato, brassicas, onions, garlic, chilies)
fruit (except citrus)
herbs, spices, sweeteners
yogurt
lentils
wheat alternatives (spelt, amaranth, teff, quinoa etc)
vegetable oils

we eat organic and i scratch cook everything, we don't own/use a microwave but we do have a toaster oven. i can't afford a crock-pot at the moment and it's too hot here to bake much (which is a huge detriment right now!).

See less See more
#2 ·
I love Vietnamese sandwiches - I imagine you could make them with whatever bread you get (made with wheat alternatives of course). They pickle shredded carrot and daikon radish in vinegar and use that along with fresh cilantro and meat, and possibly some mayo or other dressing you like. I don't know if you can eat condiments though. I also really like Mediterranean cucumber salad made with yogurt dressing. You could also make some fun fake sushi with nori, rice, and whatever veges and (cooked) meats you want. I'm trying to think of cold things that won't require lots of cooking during daytime hours. You might also try cooking some things at night or in the evening and so you don't have to use the oven during the day when it is hottest. Also, you can often find crockpots for cheap at thrift stores. I am always passing them by. I think the only thing different about new ones is that they are now legally required to keep minimum temperatures quite high (so as to not potentially grow bacteria) which means that my brand new fancy crock pot I got for Christmas last year burns almost everything. So much for SLOW cooking things at a low temperature. So, you might be better off with an older one anyway. I know I grew up eating from my Mom's old crock pot and we never got sick from it, and it never burned the food either.

If I were limited as much as you, I would probably go to my local farmer's market or international cuisine farmer's market to find some fun things to try. FOr instance, I just picked up some purple Peruvian potatoes and they were delicious! Can I ask why you are having to limit your diet so dramatically? I went through issues with over supply when my son was a baby, but my supply eventually normalized without me having to change my diet.

#4 ·
How about smoothies? If you can have rice, can you also have rice milk? You could try a smoothie berry/banana/rice milk or yogurt smoothie; a mango lassi with mangoes and yogurt; or a green smoothie with spinach, rice milk, banana, blueberries, cocoa (if you can have it), and some kind of sweetener.

Soup!! I like soup made with roasted green and red peppers, pureed with yogurt and vegetable broth (or just water), and fresh dill. It sounds like you could make a bunch of different soups with the foods you can eat.

I'd also make stir fries with rice or rice noodles, veggies, and meat.

#5 ·
thank you both so much for the ideas! sometimes all that's needed is a fresh perspective!

intunement: is there a homemade pickled carrot/radish recipe you could share?

and to answer your questions: i have had oversupply issues (i have high prolactin due to pcos) and intestinal issues (baby's, not mine) with all my children. we have our own pediatric gastroenterologist.
before we knew what the problem was, my first dc had a colonoscopy at 2 months old.

#6 ·
So what are the limitations? Just curious because we're restricted but since you have yogurt on there but not other dairy, and spelt, so it's not gluten, I'm just confused about what you can/can't have, in order to give you ideas...

we do buckwheat pancakes/waffles
avocado
rice crackers with hummus
curried chickpeas
chickpea-zucchini fritters
baked salmon
sandwich bread for things
pizza with caramelized veggies on it
pork roast with sauerkraut (slow cooker)
dosa? (lentils, rice, fermented, like a tortilla shape for wraps)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.