HELP!! Urgent! Found metal (lead!?!?) in food!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-13-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am freaking out and no one can help me. I've called the FDA, Health dept, and the doctor and am still waiting on a call back!

Last night I made lasagna with the usual ingedients, and after my 6yo, 3yo, husband, and myself (nursing a 1yo) ate it, my husband found a hard little metallic ball in one of his last bites. It behaves VERY much like a lead fishing sinker, except it's much smaller. Like if you broke the end off a pencil & rolled it up into a ball.

I don't know if it came from the sauce, chees, or beef (I'm guessing), but I am REALLY freaking out. Should we all be Xrayed? can I have the metal tested? Who's going to pay for all of this!?!?

I am shaking I'm so anxious over this. And everyone around me thinks I'm overreacting... Um, HELLO!!! My babies may have ingested LEAD!!!! It could be sitting in our guts this very second!!

HELP!!!!!

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#2 of 6 Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got a lead test kit and it was definitely blazing positive! I am FREAKING out. What if my babies ate LEAD!? The doctor wants to do a lead level now and again in three weeks, but I can't wait and wonder!! They said (and I called two different doctors, plus poison control) that if it was one tiny piece it should pass with no problems. I would think my kids would have know if they were chomping on little bits of metal, but I can't be sure.

Should I insist on an Xray? What IF our levels go up? Will the damage already be done by then!? I am so scared.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2010, 06:23 PM

how scary!

I would have you all tested immediately and then, if the level is high, then there are therapies can that can be given, such as chelation, to help your bodies excrete it as quickly as possible.

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#4 of 6 Old 08-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Oh Mama, I'm praying that it was just a tiny piece if any at all. Do get tested at the Doc's though and then later to see if it has passed.
How scary!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I ended up insisting on X rays and I'm glad I did. The X ray tech was a friend, so she told us right away we were all clear (instead of having to wait on the radiologist, then my doc to call us!). Soooo glad to be breathing easy now.

But I am soooo PI$$ED!!!! How can that happen!?! I picked through the rest of the lasagna bit by bit and found nothing (except a bit of eggshell, thanks to ds helping make it ). I wish I could call the company and raise hell, and report to the FDA too. But I don't know what product it came from. Ugh, now I'm even more paranoid about what goes into our bodies. Nothing but LOCAL beef from now on!

Thanks for your support!

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#6 of 6 Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Whew! So glad everything turned out well for you guys.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page