are organic foods Bull? Penn & Teller's show - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone watch this show on Showtime?

They did a show on organic foods, saying organic farmers spray old, more harmful chemicals on the foods and that organic food doesn't have any additional nutritional value. And there's no taste difference

Of course, they had scientists and authors for the side that they wanted to prove and crazy quacks for the organic foods side, and of course, they Pen & Teller are just comedians entertaining.

I know not to believe anything on TV, but I just wanted to see if anyone else saw this and what they thought about what was said. Thanks!
#2 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM

I didn't see this but it sounds crazy!
I work at an organic farm and of course we don't use any type of chemical at all-- we make compost for fertilizer and use crop rotation, seasonal and companion planting and beneficial insects instead of poisons. Organics is really all about saving the soil anyway-- I think the added benefit of keeping chemicals out of bodies and the added nutrients are just icing on the cake! My response to someone telling us that there aren't more nutrients in organic foods would be that....OF COURSE there are more nutrients! If you're growing food in soil that is replenished with compost and organic amendements then of course the plants are going to take those micronutrients up. If you're growing in sterile soil that has been poisoned and only given the "necessary" nutrients (nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous) for plant growth, then it's not possible for those foods to contain the micronutrients that aren't in the soil.....
oops, where did that rant come from:

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

#3 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Here is my exact comment from another forum on the same subject:

"Oh well what a surprise! Privileged men who will never experience a financial health crisis are insisting that we stick to convention. Shock!"

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#4 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 PM

I actually do agree with them on some of the points that they argued. But I think they argued points that are specifically arguable.

I do not think organic foods will always taste better than conventionally grown foods.
I do not think that organic foods will always have more nutrition than conventionally grown foods. They may, in some cases, but I do not think it's always true, or even something that could be easily argued.

I DO however, think it is environmentally sound to grow organic foods. I DO think it is healthier not to add all the chemicals to our bodies by consuming conventional foods. I DO think organic food is a positive thing.
#5 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well, that's why I hardly buy grocery store "organic" stuff, no telling if they did it in a beneficial and sustainable way. Only sticking to the letter of the regulations, organic is at best less toxic than conventional. Growing it right, it's 100x better: tasty, healthful, fresh, good for the soil it's grown in. I want to meet my farmer and look him in the eye when he tells me how my food was really grown, and if I like what I eat come back to them again and again.
#6 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 PM

I don't have showtime. Is this available online for free anywhere?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#7 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeruby View Post
I didn't see this but it sounds crazy!
I work at an organic farm and of course we don't use any type of chemical at all-- we make compost for fertilizer and use crop rotation, seasonal and companion planting and beneficial insects instead of poisons. Organics is really all about saving the soil anyway-- I think the added benefit of keeping chemicals out of bodies and the added nutrients are just icing on the cake! My response to someone telling us that there aren't more nutrients in organic foods would be that....OF COURSE there are more nutrients! If you're growing food in soil that is replenished with compost and organic amendements then of course the plants are going to take those micronutrients up. If you're growing in sterile soil that has been poisoned and only given the "necessary" nutrients (nitrogen, potassium and phosphorous) for plant growth, then it's not possible for those foods to contain the micronutrients that aren't in the soil.....
oops, where did that rant come from:
Agreed. It is absurd to believe that truly organically grown and managed food is BS or of equal or lesser value of conventional foods. Yes I am sure there are "organic" or "natural" brands sold that are questionable, but it all comes down to the consumer. You have to still read your labels. Heck, I can go to any of the local health food stores and find almost as much processed crap as a grocery store. Yes, that box of cereal may be labeled organic, but when you factor in all of the sugar that is in it, is it still healthy? I think brands like that could be what give "organics" a bad name. They are a better choice of course. I haven't seen the video, so I am a bit curious. I liked the vid on circumcision for bringing light to the ignorance of such a procedure, but they do take highly sensitive and personal subjects and make a mockery of them for entertainment's sake. IMO, it's another example of the denial in this country in regards to our health, diet, and how nutrition is the basis for vitality. It's a sad, sad thing that people believe that dis-ease is spontaneous and not of our personal responsibility. Anyway, this is turning into a rant. I think anyone who believes that following a "modern" diet is by any means okay, they need to take a serious look around at the state of our health. They also need to consider our children's future, as they will be the ones plagued with more disease and a bankrupt medical system.

Earth-loving, birth-loving, body-working, simple-livin' mama to two sweet girls and fiance to a hard-working man treehugger.gif namaste.gifbellyhair.gif

#8 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 02:42 PM

We watched this and the things that stuck out the most to me were...

They mostly focused on produce. Which is a big deal, but animal products are a much bigger deal to my husband and me (artificial hormones and antibiotics specifically). The only real mention I recall about animal products was that the artificial hormones in milk aren't causing girls to go through puberty younger, obesity is. They justify this by saying girls in Europe are also going through puberty at a younger age and hormones are not allowed in milk over there at all.

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#9 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Well, that's why I hardly buy grocery store "organic" stuff, no telling if they did it in a beneficial and sustainable way. Only sticking to the letter of the regulations, organic is at best less toxic than conventional. Growing it right, it's 100x better: tasty, healthful, fresh, good for the soil it's grown in. I want to meet my farmer and look him in the eye when he tells me how my food was really grown, and if I like what I eat come back to them again and again.
That. Organic in general isn't always better. There are lots of ways around regulation. Knowing where your food came from is so much better than just generically buying anything you see labeled organic.
#10 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Exactly! There are very few regulations for organic farming and they aren't policed. It's up to the consumer to do the backround work and find out how their food is grown/raised.

I can personally attest to the fact that organic strawberries blow conventional ones out of the water. You could freakin' SMELL the suckers from another room, they were so fragrent. Broccoli... well... not so much!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#11 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
I DO however, think it is environmentally sound to grow organic foods.
And, often, socially sound. I don't buy organic bananas for my health, I buy them because it's one less insult to those who harvest them.
#12 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I don't have showtime. Is this available online for free anywhere?
Not legitimately, it appears (season 7, episode 2, on astrology, is the only one Showtime seems to be streaming in full).

[ETA.--Two bucks from Amazon, $3 from iTunes.]
#13 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
And, often, socially sound. I don't buy organic bananas for my health, I buy them because it's one less insult to those who harvest them.
this is how I feel too!

I totally thought they'd do a bang up job FOR the side I stand on - pro organics - since they like to go against the tide in their own unique way. So much for hoping. If they had, it would have still been hilarious and helped raise awareness.
#14 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My DH was on-board with organic foods until we watched that episode. Now he says we can't justify the cost for no benefit.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!
***4***8***12******20***24***28***32***36***40
 12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#15 of 15 Old 08-19-2010, 11:03 PM

http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/ehpstudy.pdf
http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/wic-faq.pdf

The second one states that in kids 2 to 4 years old, pesticides levels in the blood are six times higher in those eating a conventional diet, as compared to those put on an organically raised diet. It further states that those pesticides come primarily from the foods children eat, are linked to a number of developmental and learning problems, and are not found on or in organically raised foods. It's a government sponsored summary of the research, with reliable references. I'll take that over Penn and Teller any day.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page