Everyday 100% whole wheat bread recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really want to stop buying all of our bread, but I can't seem to find a good basic recipe to use. I want something that tastes like what I buy. I want something that's good for sandwiches and not sweet. Anybody have a recipe like that?

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#2 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

i wish i had this as well... i'll be watching for other replies... our breadmaker needs a good workout!!

[SIZE="1"]Holly, slightly crunchy mama to my happy, energetic, sensitive Aiden (8/04) and My peanut girly girl, independent and proud Lillian (3/07)... Wife to my Jonathan, and a cancer SURVIVOR... now and forever!
#3 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM

I'm not sure what size bread maker you have, or how to make it work without a bread maker, it has always not risen enough when I make bread without the maker, but here's my WW bread recipe for a small (1lb loaf) breadmaker.

7 oz water
1 7/8 cups WW Bread Flour (hard red wheat is best for bread)
1/8 cup vital wheat gluten
--easiest to just scoop 2 cups flour, remove 1/8 cup and replace with gluten)
1 1/2 tbs Dry skim milk (I skip this for dairy allergy reasons)
1 1/2 Tbs sugar (I use demerara--less processed and more molasses=better flavor)
1 tbs butter
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

grease the inside of the bread pan with butter
Place ingredients in the bread machine's pan in the order listed (unless otherwise specified by your bread machine's instructions.
If using the timer feature, make an indentation in the ingredients before adding the yeast to insure it does not get wet until it's time.
Remove from pan immediately and let cool thoroughly before slicing.

If you can't find wheat gluten, or don't want to use it you can just use 2 cups WW flour, it just won't be as spongy as the store bought type.

Another method I am pretty sure I will switch to soon is listed in the book, Nourishing Traditions. It involves soaking the flour in buttermilk (or probably coconut kefir for my dairy allergy child) overnight which softens the grain, makes it more easily digestable, and enhances it's nutrition. it also does not need the vital wheat gluten (which is questionable healthwise)

::: Mama to Feingold target: Sebastian(10/05) and Savannah, my allergy princess (b 6/08). Avoiding dairy, corn, soy, oats, sesame, eggs, nuts, seafood, and banana
#4 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM

I have one! It makes very good bread!

1 cup water
2.5 cups flour
1tsp salt
1.5 tbsp butter (I sometimes use coconut oil)
3ish (lol) tbsp honey
1 tbsp wheat gluten
2 tsp active dry yeast

I use a bread machine, and reset it after the first knead so it kneads it again, I read somewhere that this is good for whole wheat.

It's soft and fluffy, very good bread.

~Dawn

Blah blah blah
#5 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 PM

I need to try out some of these too

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#6 of 16 Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Here's one of my favs...
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/100-Per...ad/Detail.aspx
(not sure what's up with the odd bread picture, though).

I generally use chia seeds, sesame seeds & oats. Also, I don't have a bread machine so I'm not sure how to adjust that but try it by hand! Yumminess!

stephanie asl.gif

#7 of 16 Old 08-25-2010, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I'm going to start at the top and work my way through the recipes. I don't have a bread maker so I'll just try and make the recipes work without one.

#8 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM

This is my favorite one. You could easily decrease the sugar if you want to, but I think it tastes great as is. It really helped me to have the video so I knew what I was looking for when I was starting to make bread. I use a KitchenAid mixer for mine.

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=122

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#9 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 PM

I too, will be watching this thread... We sold our bread machine at a yard sale because I never used it. Did get on a kick of tryin to make bread with it, but always ended up frustrated as the bread would be soo hard and I would follow instructions to a T. Also, just felt like it took away from the process I was wanting to be a part of, making bread as in the 'old days' Sure there are better machines than we had and I know it saves time, but hoping to see some recipes w/o the machine.... Yeah for making bread either way!
#10 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 PM

I am so making this bread just because Dave is a cool dude.

Vegan ex-con bakin' it up in the kitchen. Love it!

stephanie asl.gif

#11 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 04:48 PM

Oops missed this one before I replied! Looks like a great recipe thx!!
#12 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM

#13 of 16 Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 PM

Here's mine. I either use White Whole Wheat flour with it or I mix 2 cups Ultragrain (I think HEB sells it) and 2 cups WWW flour. It's a bread machine recipe by the way.

2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons olive or flax oil
2 tablespoons milk (or dry milk will work too)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup ground up flax seeds
2 cups WWW flour
2 cups Ultragrain flour or all purpose flour
2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Just noticed that there are a lot of 2s in this recipe .

You might have to look into the machine every now and then while it's beating the dough and add more flour or water, depending on if the dough is too dry or too wet.

joy.gif
#14 of 16 Old 09-01-2010, 09:52 AM

This is the easiest recipe ever. It only takes 2 hours, start to finish. It ends up being almost like a quick bread, but I use it for sandwiches. It helps to refrigerate it before slicing, though.

Easiest 100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
1/4 orange juice
1/4 cup dry milk
3 tbsp molasses
3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Combine everything in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer for 3 minutes. Dough will be somewhere between dough and batter consistency. Pour into a thoroughly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch bread pan. Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap or a proof cover and let dough rise for 1 hour. It won't fill the pan, or dome as it rises, but will remain flat across the top. Preheat oven to 350.

Uncover and bake bread for about 45 minutes, tenting it with foil after 20 minutes. the bread is done when it's golden brown on top and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 190. Remove it from the oven, and after 5 minutes use a table knife to loosen the edges, then turn it out onto a rack. Brush with melted butter, if desired; this will keep the crust soft. Cool for 30 minutes before slicing.
#15 of 16 Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 AM

I just found this recipe after a lot of experimenting and really like it. East to slice and simple ingredients and dairy free.
http://savoryseasonings.blogspot.com...ses-bread.html

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#16 of 16 Old 10-10-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
This is my favorite one. You could easily decrease the sugar if you want to, but I think it tastes great as is. It really helped me to have the video so I knew what I was looking for when I was starting to make bread. I use a KitchenAid mixer for mine.

http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php...ipe&recipe=122
I have been working my way through all the recipes and I think I've found my favorite right here. It's fairly light and it rises at least an inch above the pan. I may try to play with it and reduce the sugar, but other than that I'm thrilled with it.

ETA: I love that it uses normal ingredients that I always have on hand!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page