Do you wear an apron? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure where to post this...

Do you wear an apron when you're in the kitchen?? Maybe you wear it at other times, too?

I do, but the apron I wear is super-duper ugly. I tie-dyed a white apron a couple of summers ago, and that's what I wear! It has some stains on it, too... Need a new one!

(Where do you find cute ones?? )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 39 Old 08-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Never. Never ever ever ever.
#3 of 39 Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM

I do. I love it. I have three really cute aprons that I love to wear. Two of mine are made by Danica and i bought them off of One Kings Lane, the other one i just bought at TJMaxx for $12, they had a whole bunch when I was there a couple weeks age.
#4 of 39 Old 08-26-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
Never. Never ever ever ever.
I wear one at work, but never at home. Can't stand them.
#5 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 02:03 AM

I own 1 apron, but haven't ever worn it. It was a gift & I actually love it, but I'm just not in the habit of wearing it. It is really cute - I kinda don't want to get it dirty!!
Here's the site - they have a lot of really cute & fun stuff.
http://www.saucyaprons.com/

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#6 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 AM

i have a couple of the plain white chef's aprons. the kind that have the neck strap and then tie around the waist. i wear those when i'm doing serious cooking or baking since i have a bad habit of wiping my hands against my thighs. i've ruined several nice skirts doing that and finally just gave up and started wearing the apron. sometimes i'll just tuck a towel into my waistband though.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#7 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 04:57 AM

I have a few, which I love. Honestly, I'd like to have a few more cute ones, because I get them dirty fast. (they're only good for a day or two. of course, not wearing one, I stain my clothes...)

I adore boojiboo's aprons:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Boojiboo

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM

I want lots of aprons, so I'll check out the sites people mentioned. I want enough of them to change them often enough for them to be really hygienic. There's a store called Hatley www.hatley.com (maybe?) that has silly animal puns on almost all their stuff. They had an apron with a duck that says "shut the duck up!" I don't use this language, but for some reason I find it hysterical. However, I don't feel I can have it yet; because I have no idea how to explain this to dd who is 6. There's also a beaver motif that says "dam tired" on a coffee mug and "dam it's raining" on an umbrella. I WANT that beaver! But again, the language is a little too strong for a school playground.
#9 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM

I don't for everyday cooking or baking, but I always wear one when I'm canning. I am awful about staining my clothes when doing tomato sauce. I have one that ties at the waist, but it's useless for me. I made my husband a John Deere bib apron years ago and that's the one I wear when canning. It's not cute or nice, so I don't worry about slopping it up at all.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#10 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a couple, but rarely wear them. If I'm doing a lot of baking I'll put one on.

The problem is that the "tie around the neck" aprons pull at my neck/shoulder muscles (where its' already weak from fibromyalgia) and hurt to wear. The ones that just tie around my waist are completely useless- food or flour ends up on my shirt above the apron. So I generally only wear an apron if I'm doing something especially messy.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#11 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 02:52 PM

No. I've never had one and haven't gotten into the habit. I really doubt I'd even remember to put it on anyways.
#12 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I have a couple, but rarely wear them. If I'm doing a lot of baking I'll put one on.

The problem is that the "tie around the neck" aprons pull at my neck/shoulder muscles (where its' already weak from fibromyalgia) and hurt to wear. The ones that just tie around my waist are completely useless- food or flour ends up on my shirt above the apron. So I generally only wear an apron if I'm doing something especially messy.
The ones that tie around my neck annoy the crap out of me plus they're never wide enough to cover my large boobs. I found one that crosses in the back, kind of like a little girl's pinafore. No pressure or rubbing on my neck and full coverage. It's more like an artist's smock.

I only wear it when I'm doing something especially messy or canning. I like being able to use it like a towel for my hands when doing stuff like peeling lots of peaches or tomatoes

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#13 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM

I have one but I only get it out when I'm doing something messy or splattery. Unfortunately, I don't usually realize what a mess I'm making until halfway into whatever I'm doing, so I usually just get half the mess on my clothes and the other half on the apron.

The rest of the time, I wander around with a dish towel over my shoulder for wiping my hands/very small spills. It stays there through meals and functions as a napkin. Especially useful when I'm eating on the couch or in bed.

My apron isn't fancy. It's blue and white striped and from Williams Sonoma.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#14 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 PM

I have a couple of nice aprons--I like the Williams-Sonoma ones and they're generally thick enough to keep stuff from seeping through. I swear that cooking grease and tomato based foods are magnetically attracted to my clothing so I try to wear an apron whenever I cook, but I only succeed about half the time (my poor shirts).

Mom to William 5/2013! Finally have a kid after our second IVF and more than 5 years of TTC.
#15 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Mine's adorable and lacey and I love it because it doesn't hang from my neck, but rather the straps go over my shoulders and crisscross across my back, and button to the sides. I don't put it on as often as I should though, and end up wiping my hands on my clothes or splashing water on my shirt.
#16 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post
I adore boojiboo's aprons:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Boojiboo
What fun!

carfreemama, I couldn't find aprons at the website you recommended?? I'll have to try again.
#17 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
I own 1 apron, but haven't ever worn it. It was a gift & I actually love it, but I'm just not in the habit of wearing it. It is really cute - I kinda don't want to get it dirty!!
Here's the site - they have a lot of really cute & fun stuff.
http://www.saucyaprons.com/
Oh, these are fun, too!
#18 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two really cute aprons that my bff had her grandma make for me. One is read with white polka dots and the other is a dark blue with a pretty white flower pattern. They're so cute! Practical, too. I love aprons, I just wish mine where longer. We do historical re-enacting and i do have a couple very long aprons I wear during events and I love them, they're so versatile.
#19 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 PM

Yup. Always when I cook. I have three. One is a basic, white chef's apron. It's starting to look pretty dingy, though it certainly serves its purpose. I have a nice blue & white sort of Swedish looking one from Ikea which is attractive. My nicest is from Anthropologie. They have super cute aprons. It was a Christmas gift, and I wear it if I have guests over.

I HATE staining my clothes, so love my aprons.
#20 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm loving my Flirty Housewife Apron

http://www.etsy.com/shop/momomadeit

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#21 of 39 Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
I'm loving my Flirty Housewife Apron

http://www.etsy.com/shop/momomadeit
I like the neck-line on these aprons. So many choices of fabric, too!
#22 of 39 Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
I'm not sure where to post this...

Do you wear an apron when you're in the kitchen?? Maybe you wear it at other times, too?

I do, but the apron I wear is super-duper ugly. I tie-dyed a white apron a couple of summers ago, and that's what I wear! It has some stains on it, too... Need a new one!

(Where do you find cute ones?? )
Yes! If I am cooking something messy or doing big jobs in the kitchen I wear an apron.

I have two really, really cute ones! One is full-apron with fairies on it that one of my very best friends in the world made for me.

The other is a full apron that is BRIGHT yellow with ladybugs all over it. It is so cheerful! I got it at a farmer's market. The lady that made it had soooo many pretty aprons she had made!

I saw one at Whole Foods last week and I wanted it soooo badly, but I really do not need another apron. I walked away from it.

I have a cute half apron that is blue and has a cat on it that a friend I used to work with years and years ago made for me, but I rarely wear a half apron. I am really messy in the kitchen and it doesn't cover my upper-half which is where I tend to end up being sploshed on.

I'd check etsy ( just Google it) for cute aprons.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#23 of 39 Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 PM

I do wear an apron many days. I tend to spend a lot of time in the kitchen daily... some days more than others... but I also have other household chores every day and wear one for that, too. I think it's a holdover from the days when I wore clothes that were nice enough to need protecting. I don't really need an apron, as I just wear t-shirts and shorts around the house. Like others, I'm often canning during the summer, too.

I also L.O.V.E. sewing aprons. I have quite a few (8 or 9 probably) and I've sewn several for dd, too (not matching... we both think that would be too cheesy) and one of our favorite activities when she's not in school is to don our aprons and work in the kitchen together.
#24 of 39 Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 AM

Nope - I have a visceral reaction to even thinking about putting an apron on

Because my shirts attract olive oil like a magnet, I do have a couple of flannel shirts I wear instead Flannel shirts with shorts in the summer is quite the attractive outfit!

Samm
#25 of 39 Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a chef's apron that I wear for messy jobs. I'd wear an apron more often if I had a place to keep it accessible. It gets folded up and lives with my baking pans and mixing bowls, so if I'm doing routine cooking I don't bother with it. I'd like a couple of more, but it's not a real priority.

I do take it off before sitting down at the table. It does bother me to see someone in an apron at the table.
#26 of 39 Old 08-30-2010, 09:52 AM

I love my apron from Ikea because it's so adjustable. The waist strap and neck strap are all one continuous strap, making the neck fully adjustable without tying behind your neck.

I find that if I don't wear an apron I will stain my clothes, especially when frying bacon!

I also have a frilly half-apron that I wear sometimes, mostly for fun. I sewed it from the book Weekend Sewing. I would love to have more frilly aprons.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#27 of 39 Old 08-31-2010, 08:21 PM

I do! I actually have a good handful of aprons just hanging off the side of my stove...

I get them from charity fundraisers where local craftspersons (usually seniors) show their knitting, sewing etc. I've also gotten a few at Value village and other 2nd hand stores.

My favourite apron is one that I got from VV for 99 cents. Its made out of quilting cotton that has seen so many washings its silky soft. The style is called something like "country style" or "farm house apron" or something like that, in that it is a full apron with a yoke at the back that prevents the shoulder straps from falling off. I love it because I can't stand the feel of straps brushing against my neck and pulling my neck down.

I love that apron so much I actually took measurements and have now sewn another "brand new" apron out of it.

Here's a link to an apron very similar to it...http://www.taylorsscarletthread.com/...on_enlarge.jpg

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#28 of 39 Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 PM

I do. I don't like to get my clothes covered with flour or squirted with tomato juice. Which they would.

However, I have never felt the need for my aprons to be "cute." An apron is an apron, to me. They're purely practical.
#29 of 39 Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM

I do when I bake. I always get flour on myself so I started wearing one. I have two aprons my grandmother made for me. They're great! They're more like a pinafore -- they have one button behind my neck, they cover the entire front of my clothes and they have pockets.
#30 of 39 Old 08-31-2010, 10:31 PM

For the first time in my life, I decided that I needed an apron. I'll look on etsy as well

It's mostly because I'm sick and tired of putting on 'old clothes' to do my cooking, now that I'm out of infant-mode with the kids

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page