What's your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do a winter vegetable soup with sweet potatoes; mashed with apple juice, cinnamon, and butter; sweet potato and apple casserole; baked sweet potatoes topped with black bean chili and sour cream. And, of course, sweet potato fries.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#32 of 38 Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Herbed Sweet Potatoes and Chicken

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup Milk
3 tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Rosemary
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb (optional)
4 Sweet Potatoes
4 Chicken Breasts
1/4 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs

-= Instructions =-
Preheat the oven the 375°F. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and milk together. Add salt through Mrs. Dash (all the seasonings) and stir over medium heat until very fragrant. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces. Add to herb mixture in pot and stir until well coated. Place in the bottom of an oven safe baking dish.
Beat the chicken breasts until thin. Cut into quarters and position over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top of each piece. Season with Mrs. Dash if desired.
Bake covered in oven for 40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are softened and chicken is cooked through. If a crunchy topping is desired, remove lid for last 15 minutes of baking.

Or you can shop the chicken into bite sized pieces and mix it all together
OR you can just skip the chicken and bread crumbs making just the potatoes (which is what I do for thanksgiving dinner, soo good!)

Please keep in mind that the measurements are my ESTIMATES since this is something I came up with as I was going.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#33 of 38 Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post
I cube sweet potatoes and toss them with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary (or a mix of italian herbs) then roast in the oven around 400 degrees.
The skin gets nice and caramelized, but the inside is soft and sweet! Yum!!!
We had this on Tuesday. It was so good!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#34 of 38 Old 09-09-2010, 07:28 PM

The dc are big on roasted sweet potato fries. So are we actually

And also second(or third or fourth LOL) the sweet potato burritoes or nachos! YUM!!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#35 of 38 Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM

My mom alwyas made us candied sweet potatoes when we were little, and I still love them. Not the healthiest but oh so tasty:
Cut sweet potatoes into cubes. Add to saucepan with plenty of butter, sugar (white or brownm, or use maple syrup, though honey doesn't work as well) and cinnamon and/or other spices. Cook over low heat (2 to 4 depending how your stove works) stirring often until done. You can make this with canned too, which cuts down on the cooking time alot.
#36 of 38 Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post
I love putting them in my chili, as a hearty base to simple dinner of rice and steamed vegetables, or whenever I'm doing a fast dinner of jarred 'indian' sauce with whatever veggies are in the house.

Dh has a black bean-sweet potato soup he makes (rarely) that's fab.

I once made an awesome dipping sauce (that I then used the rest as pasta sauce) with a pureed cooked sweet potato and coconut milk (that has been heated with some minced fresh ginger before blending). It was awesome with rice noodles.

There's also a recipe in Vegetarian Planet for an tortilla sweet potato pie that's basically a big roasted sweet potato quiche with monterey jack cheese with corn tortilla crust (really yummy & easy - I like that a lot).
Wow, these sounds amazing! I make a pureed soup with sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions and garlic that is delicious.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#37 of 38 Old 09-10-2010, 11:06 PM

I used to eat sweet potatoes only as sweet potato pie or candied yams. Now that my palate is cleaner, I just prick them, wrap them in foil, bake for about an hour, let cool, and eat. I don't add anything to them b/c they are crazy delicious by themselves.

Still gonna try some of these recipes, tho.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#38 of 38 Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
sliced and grilles with olive oil, salt and pepper!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page