What's your favorite way to prepare sweet potatoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm slowly experimenting with new ways of preparing our basic veggies and introducing new ones. Sweet potatoes seem totally awesome for life with a preschooler -- they're potatoes! But sweet! (And so very healthy!)

The biggest hit around here was sweet potato fries (from a bag, but you make compromises with a teething little one). I'd love to hear your favorite ways to prepare them!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#2 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#3 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM

I make baked sweet potato "fries" - cut into fry-shaped pieces and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then bake.

Recently we tried grilling sweet potatoes and they were really good. I cut them into thick slices and again used olive oil, salt, and pepper.

I like them mashed too. Usually I just add salt because I love the salty/sweet combo, but also SO delicious with cinnamon and sugar (butter / milk as needed either way to get the right consistency).

Faith, wife to Ben 9/24/05     Tandem nursing and cosleeping graduate (for now!), babywearing SAHM to Solomon 9/18/07 and Abram 12/10/09, expecting our 3rd boy in December/January!
Master Babywearing Educator and President of Babywearing International of Central New York
#4 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 PM

we make baked/roasted sweet potatoes. Bake just as you would for a potato (don't forget to stab it a few times, exploded sweet potato is messier than exploded potato. also, the sugars drip out which leaves a mess, so I recomend putting it on foil or parchment for cleaning ease.)

serve with crunchy salt and lots of butter. (the skin is great too. Or peel them, and then reheat the skin later with butter and salt and cheese until crispy and sort of fried. or in lard or chicken fat with or without cheese)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 10:29 PM

I really like them baked with butter and brown sugar, but I am not sure how healthy that is.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 PM

I cube sweet potatoes and toss them with olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary (or a mix of italian herbs) then roast in the oven around 400 degrees.
The skin gets nice and caramelized, but the inside is soft and sweet! Yum!!!

ETA: I have had this recipe bookmarked for a while, but haven't had a chance to try it, but it looks really yummy!! Sweet potato enchiladas:
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2333

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#7 of 38 Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 PM

I just bake them and add a little butter.
#8 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 AM

I make a sweet potato black bean casserole with the pantry mole rojo from Vegan Brunch. I layer it like a lasagna instead of rolling it up.
#9 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 AM

My DH and I used to hate sweet potatoes. . .it was one of those things we used to laugh about having in common Well, after reading about how healthy they are, we decided to try making them in different ways to try to learn to like them. Guess what?? Now we love them! I think we could eat them everyday Our favorite way to prepare them is to bake them in the oven, remove the peel (comes off easily after baking), and slightly mash them with butter, celtic sea salt, and either chipotle powder or cayenne powder. That's it! I think we didn't like them before because people always put sweet stuff on them. . .like marshmallows--blech. Also, I do 2nd the pp who mentioned putting something under them while baking. . .I have had them drip into the bottom of the oven and it smokes. Enjoy

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#10 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 AM

Mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle (I use the canned-in-adobo kind, rather than powder) and fresh lime juice are
(I add butter and S & P, too.)

I also do a lot of oven fries. S.P.F.s are great dipped in sour cream (or chipotle-spiked sour cream)!

Or, cube 'em, boil 'em and toss the hot cubes with vinaigrette (any kind, whether it be thymey or sagey with celery, walnuts and dried cranberries, or citrusy, or cuminy with black beans and red bell pepper, or whatever) and red onion, and whatever else you like, for a non-traditional potato salad.

Little cubes of sweet potato are good added to risotto.

Hth,

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#11 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM

moosewood restaurant cookbooks are a good source for sweet potato recipes:
gypsy soup (a garbanzo & sweet potato soup)
black bean and sweet potato hash

i usually just have sweet potatoes boiled with mayo or spicy mayo on the side. or i will mash them with brown sugar. or plain with rice and a fried egg...

raising my two sunshine children.

#12 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 PM

I love putting them in my chili, as a hearty base to simple dinner of rice and steamed vegetables, or whenever I'm doing a fast dinner of jarred 'indian' sauce with whatever veggies are in the house.

Dh has a black bean-sweet potato soup he makes (rarely) that's fab.

I once made an awesome dipping sauce (that I then used the rest as pasta sauce) with a pureed cooked sweet potato and coconut milk (that has been heated with some minced fresh ginger before blending). It was awesome with rice noodles.

There's also a recipe in Vegetarian Planet for an tortilla sweet potato pie that's basically a big roasted sweet potato quiche with monterey jack cheese with corn tortilla crust (really yummy & easy - I like that a lot).
#13 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Now I really really want a baked sweet potato.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#14 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM

#15 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 02:37 PM

Forgot to add--

I am also crazy about a dish where thick slices of sweet potato, bell pepper and onion are baked in a tomato-based sauce (browned, seasoned round steak is sometimes braised in there as well, if we're feeling carnivorous), and the whole thing is served over rice.

alsoSarah

These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#16 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

I liked them baked with salt and butter. They are also good with cinnamon and brown sugar.

I like them as fries as well.

Sweet potato pie

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Not all those who wander are lost 
#17 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoSarah View Post
Forgot to add--

I am also crazy about a dish where thick slices of sweet potato, bell pepper and onion are baked in a tomato-based sauce (browned, seasoned round steak is sometimes braised in there as well, if we're feeling carnivorous), and the whole thing is served over rice.

alsoSarah
That sounds really interesting, do you remember the name of it?

#18 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gini1313 View Post
I was going to post the same recipe. These burritoes are SO good. We make them in big batches and freeze them for meals on the go.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#19 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 PM

I LOVE sweet potatoes. I'm going to try that burrito recipe that you guys linked above. It looks delish!! I think I'm going to make it tomorrow....

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#20 of 38 Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

I used to make this black bean and sweet potato stew a lot, but haven't for several years. Forgot about it actually. It doesn't give credit, but I want to say I recall the recipe being from Mollie Katzen.

I mostly mash them. Sometimes with just butter and salt and milk, sometimes I add some grated ginger and brown sugar.

I also like them sliced into circles, salted, and pan-fried.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#21 of 38 Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM

Sweet potato cooks faster than white potato. I don't particularly like the texture of them baked and mashed.

I also was in the "don't like 'em" camp until I started cooking them for my daughter. I like them cubed, boiled, and made into a potato-salad type dish. I take them out of the water when they are still a bit firm, and the texture is much more pleasing to me.
#22 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
That sounds really interesting, do you remember the name of it?
Here you go, abimommy.

alsoSarah

#23 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 12:46 AM

These are my favorite two ways:

Roasted
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=522357

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes (have a kick, but you can take out LO's portion before adding pepper). These are spicy, limey and sweet
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=522110

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#24 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprons_and_acorns View Post
I was going to post the same recipe. These burritoes are SO good. We make them in big batches and freeze them for meals on the go.

Made them yesterday, and they are fantastic! I used black beans instead of kidney. Awesome!!

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#25 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

I like them baked with Earth Balance and sometimes I toss some kidney beans in there as well. (I like the combo).

LOVE sweet potatoes!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#26 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM

I slice them and toss with mustard, honey, olive oil, sage, s&p. Roast on high heat for 10 min, then turn the heat down for another 10-15 until they are done.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#27 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
I slice them and toss with mustard, honey, olive oil, sage, s&p. Roast on high heat for 10 min, then turn the heat down for another 10-15 until they are done.
Ohhh, that sounds great!!

#28 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoSarah View Post
Here you go, abimommy.

alsoSarah
yum thanks I am going to try that

#29 of 38 Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post

Made them yesterday, and they are fantastic! I used black beans instead of kidney. Awesome!!
Oooh, great idea! I love black beans but so far we've always used kidney beans for this recipe.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#30 of 38 Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 AM

mothering actually has a great coconut sweet potato pie recipe with a oat-nut crust (gluten free) that's not too sweet. I have leftovers for breakfast sometimes. I also use the crust (with a bit of honey) to substitute in other pie recipes because it has more flavor than flour crust.
http://www.mothering.com/recipes/coc...eet-potato-pie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page