Kombucha- mold- wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kombucha mother started growing a little bit of mold- just lightly in a spot on top. it looks similar to bread mold. i had let it sit for a while so the mother was like an inch thick. I threw away the whole new mother but I have the old mother and all the liquid that was underneath-which I put in a new jar. I was planning on making more tomorrow. Do you think what i have is still good? should I wait for a new mother to reform first and see if there is any sign of mold then make more or just start more now? or just throw it way- which I'd hate to do cause I don't have a spare mother sitting around. I do have some strawberry flavored kombucha in my fridge still tho...anyways WWYD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I'd update-I had to throw it away. the mother regrew w/mold and from what I read once it gets moldy the mold spores are in the liquid and the last thing I need is to be putting mold into my body! I'm definitely going to keep a spare SCOBY around as back up. Also it seems that if you let the mother grow too much the top will get dried out and grow mold-had a vinegar do it too.Maybe the acidic-ness. And I also read to keep it away from plants cause the soil can harbor unwanted spores that are released when you water especially if you haven't watered in a while.

User Tag List