What is your childs "breakfast of champions"??? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.backyardbowls.com/

For some yummy & hearty breakfast ideas, check out that website. I ate there over the summer every day for breakfast. So yummy!

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#32 of 48 Old 09-14-2010, 08:20 PM

My son is the pickiest eater. ever. He will eat muffins and french toast. Yogurt too. Today I did frozen blueberries with yogurt. DD2 eats eggs. DD1 eats anything. I'd like to be a veggie family, but DD2 is definitely a carnivore and since she has a heart defect, I am instructed to feed her anything she will eat with calories to help her grow. She gets a lot of eggs. I do make green smoothies, but my 4yo is the only one who will eat them with me.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#33 of 48 Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 AM

I just made two weeks' worth of egg pockets. I scrambled eggs, mozzarella, and peas for DD (she wanted peas) and eggs, mozzarella, and spinach for me, and folded them spanakopita style into phyllo dough, baked on 450 for seven minutes, and they are perfect. She was SO EXCITED to see it in her breakfast box this morning.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#34 of 48 Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 PM

I love that muffin idea! I'm so making those.

We make egg "mcMuffin" type sandwiches with ham, egg and sometimes cheese, German pancakes (sometimes called a puff pancake), greek yogurt with granola and fresh fruit, fried egg over rice or polenta (you can also scramble an egg and rice together), french toast, or banana or pumpkin pancakes with cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#35 of 48 Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 PM

Just like all the pp's, I love the egg muffin idea!

Here are our typical breakfasts...

granola, yogurt, fresh or frozen berries (depending on the season), hemp seeds on top

super porridge (premade in a large canister) - oats, quinoa, spelt flakes, amaranth, hemp seeds, chia seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, pecans or walnuts, some kind of dried unsweetened fruit, shredded unsweetened coconut, cinnamon and garam masala.
We cook this, add a little hemp oil, almond milk or keifer and in season fruit or frozen berries.

chia tapioca - chia seeds soaked overnight in almond milk with in season fruit or frozen berries, sprinkled with cinnamon

Daily: Smoothie - frozen berries, banana, kiwi, avocado, spirulina, kale/beet/chard green powders, hemp seeds, hemp oil, almond milk, a splash of pom juice, yogurt/keifer, apple cider vinegar (once/week).
(sometimes we are out of something and supplement something else, but this is what we try to put in daily).

We do eggs on weekends or for lunches typically, it seems too heavy for us in the mornings. But those egg muffins are going on our lunch list...maybe even this week, dd would love them! And we buy farm fresh eggs in Ontario for $4.00 from our CSA.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#36 of 48 Old 09-16-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskye View Post
I have a five year old and I make these mini muffin cups of scrambled egg, cheese, and bacon. You just pour the whisked eggs into a greased minimuffin tin (no liners), and top it with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook at 350 for about 10-15 minutes and you get little eggy "muffins" that you can take to go or just eat one at a time. They are pretty delicious.
I tried this for my girls this morning.. they loved it. I didn't even have leftovers and they cleared their plates. My oldest even asked if there was any left. Definetly have to remember this for when DH gets back, he leaves super early so it would be nice to have something he can grab and go.

One thing we do here for quick breakfasts is breakfast burritos. I usually put in them: hashbrowns, eggs, bacon (or sausage), cheese, and cut up veggies. If someone wants one all I have to do is microwave it for about 20 seconds or put it in the over for 5-10 minutes (Im not a big fan of microwaving so I avoid it when possible).
We also do a lot of waffles, pancakes or french toast. Ive been limiting those for weekends as "special breakfasts" because otherwise my girls would want them every day. Once a month or so I might make coffee cake. I do muffins on occassion as well, specially if its going to be a super early morning and I know the girls won't want to eat before we leave. Its a good grab and go thing.
When my husband is home he makes all of us breakfast sandwiches. Eggs over easy, sausage (sometimes bacon as well, they aren't that healthy), cheese, cut up veggies on a bagel. They are good but not good for you, that is why he only does that once in a while.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#37 of 48 Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngspiritmom View Post
Hey Mamas,
Love this thread. My fave is the eggs in the muffin tin.
Just wanted to add - a childhood friend of mine hated breakfast, and breakfast foods. She couldn't stomache anything "heavy" in the morning....so she used to eat soup for breakfast every morning! I love this idea...a nice bean soup with some broth, and maybe a side of bread & butter or muffin. Great for snow days, and good protein and fiber. Plus, soup is soooo good
This is what we do. I can do breakfast foods okay, but I find that my blood sugar and moods are all over the place if I eat traditional carby breakfast foods. I do soup because I can get a good serving of bone broth, lots of fat, protein, but it won't drag me down like having leftover roast beef or whatever (although I do that a lot too ). I have made gazpacho, minestrone, a zucchini soup when it was really hot out. Today I made a "everything left in the fridge" soup for lunch and I'm looking forward to that for breakfast. Lentil soup is great too.

I also really like quinoa or wild rice with apples, walnuts, maple syrup. DH likes wild rice with peppers and onions with an egg on top.

The kids are pretty all over the place. Smoothies are always a hit, DS won't eat eggs, both kids like pancakes, but they don't seem to last in their tummies for long. They usually eat left overs with me, or we'll make some chicken sausages and veggies or something.
#38 of 48 Old 09-17-2010, 02:52 AM

One of the following with a serving of fresh fruit (we're vegan and eat about 90% organic)

Whole grain pancakes with oats, nuts, flax and hempseeds in them, I make them about 2 inches across, served with real maple syrup

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast made with a simplified version of the recipe in Vegan with a Vengance

Tofu coated with nutritional yeast and fried in olive oil on whole wheat toast (her current favorite)

Oatmeal with her own little cups of mix-ins -sunflower seeds, hempseeds, raisins, brown sugar

Whole grain cinnamon toast, soy yogurt
#39 of 48 Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Home made crepes
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/basic-crepes/Detail.aspx

6-yr-old likes it with Nutella

10-yr-old likes it with Nutella & slices strawberries & sliced bananas

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#40 of 48 Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM

WW toast with almond butter, yogurt, fruit

Baked oatmeal in muffin tins with fruit which is the only way he will eat oatmeal

french toast which I don't like but DS loves and is the only way he will eat an egg in any form

cream of wheat with almond butter and/or prunes

oatmeal and buttermilk pancakes (these are my absolute favorite, I add orange zest, vanilla and nutmeg...mmmm) Also a really easy recipe...2 cups of oatmeal ground into flour, 2 cups of flour, quart of buttermilk, 3 eggs, 3 tsp baking powder, sugar if you want, vanilla if you want and any spices/fruit/nut add-ins you want. I make tons and freeze them.

I'm loving this thread. Breakfast is my favorite meal.

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#41 of 48 Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 PM

this thread is awesome!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#42 of 48 Old 09-18-2010, 12:22 AM

OOOoooh, great ideas! <3 the egg pockets, muffin ideas-- apparently we're in a rut, too!

Our hands down, absolute fav is "greeny granola" consisting of raw, dry oatmeal, nuts, seeds, fruits of choice, topped w milk/ yogurt/ kefir. Fast, yummy, nutritionally dense.

Mochi with cream cheese/ nut butters/ jam/ whatever may be more preferred than gg, but it is spendy and served very occasionally here!

We also like dinner leftovers for breakfast-- today it was chx broc alfredo from ds2's bday dinner last night.

Grits (we all love grits, no necessary C: heehee ) with anything and everything. Ours are whole grain, organic, yellow corn grits (not treated w lye) from the co op. Very satisfying.

If I determine the breakfast of choice is low in protein (my dc get their own and sometimes mine! bc they are 9, 12, 17), then they eat a heaping T of PB right from the spoon. (or a handful of pepitas, or sunflower nuts, etc)

When they were small, if mama took "too long" getting ready before fixing their breakfast, I'd come in to see them snacking on a bag of organic baby salad greens.

Muffins and biscuits go over big, but unless we make them ahead, they wait for weekends.

#43 of 48 Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 AM

I wish I could get my dd to eat breakfast. She is not one to eat first thing when she wakes up. She prefers not to eat until closer to 9am it seems.

She eats dry cereal sometimes or apple, banana or pears. But on weekends likes 2 scrambled eggs and a slice of toast, or a pancake. Occasionally waffles or oatmeal.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I'll have fun reading through these. Even for myself. I'm not a breakfast person. I do best at staying on track and not over eating when I eat in morning though. I like to have a mango and another fruit. Occasionally I'll have toast with nutbutter. I'd love to do green smoothies but don't think my blender would cut it. I bought some pre made and could get used to it.

She loves hard boiled eggs perhaps I could boil some up but the thing is she only eats the whites unless they are "deviled". I wonder if there is some more healthful way I could soften the yolk and put back in kinda like deviled eggs. I will have to do some research.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#44 of 48 Old 09-18-2010, 06:09 AM

The right breakfast for kids???....most common question of all parents and rightly so..

Here a list of certain ideas which i feel can be tried out....

1. Peanut Butter : versatile morning food,Spread on top of whole wheat toast or an English muffin, serve it up with bananas in a sandwich, or eat it on apple slices.Of course nothing goes with peanut butter like a glass of cold milk!

2. Whether scrambled, hard boiled or "fried" in a non-stick skillet, eggs are a great breakfast protein and are yummy paired with toast or a piece of fresh fruit.

3. Check cookbooks or the Internet for a heart-healthy muffin recipe low in fat and higher in fiber. Many muffins freeze well and can be popped in the microwave for a quick meal.

4. Oatmeal is especially filling on cold mornings. Serve it up with sliced fruit inside, sprinkled with cinnamon, or with a bit of maple syrup or applesauce stirred in.

Try out these suggestions....hope ur kid has a healthy morning appetite...

I am a mother of three children.  Two sons:  R - 03/09/96, W - 27/12/98 and one daughter:  M - 15/05/06
Weight Loss and Metabolism Mentor
#45 of 48 Old 09-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Just made your Super Oatmeal Recipe with chopped apple and plum, theatermom. It was amazing. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
We make what we call Super Oatmeal:

~Steel cut oats
~Chopped seasonal fruit (right now, we're doing apples, peaches and raisins, usually one Granny Smith and one local variety, depending on fridge contents)
~Chopped nuts (usually almonds, walnuts, pecans)
~2 eggs, whisked lightly
~Raw honey
~Whole milk
~1-2 tablespoons homemade butter
~1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
~1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Make the oats as normal. While they're cooking, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add spices. Add honey to taste. Stir in fruit and nuts and stir to cover. Let simmer. When the oatmeal is nearly done, gently but thoroughly whisk the eggs into the still cooking oatmeal. Add a bit of milk until desired thickness, then stir in fruit/nut mixture. If desired, you can sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top.

I always have all of those ingredients on hand, and there's never been a morning when I've actually made enough. :-) My oldest doesn't even like oatmeal, but he'll eat 3 bowls of this.
#46 of 48 Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Our DD is in the phase that she just loves a bowl of fruits for desert, few chopped nuts and few risins in it is always welcommed though. Sometimes she will wake up and calls for soft or hard boiled eggs but she won't eat yolks .. just whites.

Some days she will have a french toast with fresh made blueberry or raspberry sauce ( I just dump a handfull of fruits into a pot and bit of sugar and boil it while I made a tost ready and tadaaaa.. super delicoso)

Generally what I noticed is that there is major behavior difference depending if she has starchy food for breakfast or not and what kind of it it is..
if it is a bit then it is fine but major amounts like a bowl of cerial will drive her up the wall for half a day.

When I dig a glycymic index of foods and found that cerial is really naughty
and elevates the sugar in no time then no wonder. I am researching glycymic index some more to see how it relates to her moods but so far it is clear that what is obvious shows in her behaviour and what reads more less:

"the more processed food the higher glycymic index .. what it means is that the more process the food is the easier digestable it is and the faster it elevates sugar level.. as in.. your body will much faster absorb sugars from
white breads that are highly processed then for instance pumprenickel and whole seed based brown heavy breads...."

In other words the more you "torment" the food the easier it is for sugar to go poof through the roof..

it has been said that fruits do not harm sugar level as other sugar containing foods so they do not effect mood as let's say cookie or what not.

This seem to be really working. Therefore for breakfast we try to avoid processed foods and she also seem to preffer it as I used to offer heavier choices or cerial but she was not too happy to eat it and when convinced
she would behave afterwards really irritable for long time.

For lunch we are having more hearty meal, preffered on this side are patatoes in any form.. hash.. omlette.. patatoe panckakes.. scrumble fritters.. with some scrumbled egg or some brakfast sausage
sandwich etc.
#47 of 48 Old 09-19-2010, 11:01 PM

breakfast burritos! I like mine a little spicy. My DS is only 10 mo so for him I make a scrambled egg with torn up multigrain tortilla, bell pepper, cheese, onion and potato, sometimes mushroom if I have it. I add hot chilis, salsa and bacon or turkey bacon to mine.
#48 of 48 Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 PM

I love this thread!

We eat a lot of oatmeal, muffins,

Galettes! Omg, like a big pancake with eggs and herbs, or jam in them.
Or if we have frozen berries in the freezer.

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page