What is your childs "breakfast of champions"??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2010, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids seem to be stuck in the rut of breakfast cereal. My youngest loves kashi and mini wheats, oldest loves all of those crappy cereals that only grandma buys and will eat oatmeal if it has a fair amount of sugar.

I am of the mindset that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I really want to get my kids eating a healthier breakfast. We eat about 3 dozen eggs a week between the four of us (2 kids, hubby and myself). They would eat eggs for breakfast every morning BUT I feel a bit guilty about that because we can't afford the $7.00/dozen for farm eggs so we buy factory farmed from the grocery store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This won't help if you are vegetarian, but most recently, DS has been eating leftover steak or chicken from dinner at breakfast, along with some toast or fruit. I figure it's protein, so I don't mind (too much - usually, I've saved it for lunches!). DD likes to eat leftover pasta for breakfast.

Since we sometimes have breakfast (eggs and pancakes) for dinner, I can't fault them for having dinner for breakfast.

My kids are older and usually get their own breakfasts. If I was making breakfast for them, it would be more traditional - eggs, oatmeal, muffins, French toast, etc.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Bacon. DD loves it. We only have it once a week or so but it is her favorite breakfast item.

Smoothies made with Greek yogurt and fruit is the runner-up.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Homemade muffins (you can add veggies, up the protein in, do all kinds of things to them undetected ) would probably be an easy step up from cereal that is usually well-liked.
Oatmeal muffin varieties are very tasty & filling and are some of our regular favorites (same with oatmeal pancakes).

Yogurt & fruit + seeds/nuts.

Personally, I love egg sandwiches for breakfast (baby spinach, 1 egg, cheese on bread or toast).
Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 AM

I have a five year old and I make these mini muffin cups of scrambled egg, cheese, and bacon. You just pour the whisked eggs into a greased minimuffin tin (no liners), and top it with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook at 350 for about 10-15 minutes and you get little eggy "muffins" that you can take to go or just eat one at a time. They are pretty delicious.

For me, breakfast of champs is greek yogurt, honey, raw oatmeal, and walnuts all stirred together. I let it sit for about 10 minutes so the oats soften. Very good!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 AM

We are big fans of breakfast here and I even make breakfast for dinner now and then.

I do the muffin tin thing but I put a piece of bread in then I crack an egg into it (not beaten) and then a peice of mostly cooked bacon.

Dd loves poached eggs but she gets very picky about her yolk being runny enough. She has even gotten me on the runny yolk team.

She likes breakfast casserole which for me is hashbrowns on the bottom, eggs and milk (or sub) blended together and poured over with cooked sausage then it is baked. Dh and dd get cheese on theirs.

I like poached egg and bacon over grits. I love grits.

Dh and Dd like waffles or pancakes but I prefer savory dishes.

I use farm fresh eggs here they are 3.50-4.00 around here but I can't get them in the winter. (boo)

We like oatmeal with strawberries, raw honey, almonds and milk

Smoothies

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 AM

Quinoa with fruit (pear, peach,berries) and walnuts.

Oatmeal with yogourt and berries.

Boiled egg, cottage cheese, fresh fruit and muffin

Beans, eggs, tomatoes toast with nut butter

banana, greek yogurt, berries, hemp oil, nut butter smoothies

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Old 09-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Polenta with lots of butter is a big hit here.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
We're breakfast-lovers too. DD and I like scrambled or fried eggs with spinach. DH likes sardines on buttered toast. He also loves a big fry-up - sausages, tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms, eggs, fried potato and spinach - but, well, EXPENSIVE. So we don't do it that often. Our eggy breakfasts are still more expensive than grain-based ones, but they sometimes double as lunch (we get up ridiculously late). DH likes porridge, if I can remember to soak the oats... which reminds me, I should go do that.

I also do fish panfried in butter with garlic salt, on occasion. DD and I love it, DH tolerates it for the nutrients.

Oh, and cottage cheese sprinkled with salt, straight out of the container. DH finds this warped and repulsive. I find it delicious. And it's proteiny, so hey.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Have you looked around to find a better price for eggs? 7 dollars a dozen is a lot for eggs- even farm fresh. I live in Calgary, Alberta and food is NOT cheap but I have found great eggs for 4 dollars a dozen- I was paying 5 previously and i get mine at the farmers market. Have you looked into buying some off someone with backyard chickens?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:09 PM

In a total pinch, frozen Kashi pizza for breakfast-when they're on sale 1/2 of a pizza is about $2.75 for that size serving (small pizzas!). DD is fond of the mushroom/spinich combo, and has a side of fruit.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Haroset/Charoset, which is a traditional Jewish Passover dish (I'm not Jewish, btw), and imo, the best breakfast ever. It is basically finely chopped apples mixed with nuts, cinnamon, a splash of wine (or grape juice) and a drizzle of honey. Here are a few recipes - there are tons on the internet.

I am making this regularly right now. My recipe is

1 part chopped/crushed toasted walnuts (almonds or pecans are good)
1-2 parts chopped apples
splash of pineapple juice or grape juice
drizzle of honey or molasses
1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

You can add raisins, etc. and there are recipes that use dates, too

I make it fresh in the morning and serve it with milk overtop, sorta like a raw cereal. If you pulsed it in the food processor, it'd be a great spread for toast.

Caveat - make it fresh and use it up, not so good the next day, though you can cook leftovers with oatmeal

My children attend nut free schools, so pb is out for lunches. I like to base the morning meal around nuts or nut butter for protein several days a week. Then we have a hot meal at noon or meat/egg based packed lunch.

ETA I also want to mention that my one child has a lot of trouble eating first thing in the morning. I did too, so I sympathize. With him, I am happy if I can get a glass of raw milk and a banana into him before he leaves for school. He always has a mid- morning snack of champions, though!

ETA again - I love the eggy muffin recipe. I am so doing that one day this week!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 PM

DD pretty much eats the same thing every day: a slice of Ezekiel bread, no crusts, almond butter, and a smidge of honey. If I'm cooking bacon, she'll eat that on the side.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM

$7/dozen for eggs?? Yowsa! I pay $3.50 for my farm fresh eggs. Consider me spoiled.

How about quiche? Lots of variations but you don't have to use so many eggs!

stephanie asl.gif

Old 09-08-2010, 12:07 PM

My son's favorite breakfasts are:

oatmeal with a variety of fresh berries, quinoa and molasses

whole grain blueberry pancakes

waffles with a fresh fruit spread and maple syrup

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Location: New England (but planning a move in the next year or two...)
my son is picky. he gets stuck on something and keeps it forever! Luckily, he has pretty healthy tastes! Lately he eats a homemade organic pumpkin muffin (with chocolate chips) and a hard boiled egg. every day. quick easy healthy.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:45 PM

I don't consider oatmeal to be the ULTIMATE but it's a feasible switch for cereal addicts. And it has protein. I notice when DD has oatmeal for breakfast, she usually has a good day (stable mood). I add seasonal fruit to it - these days I chop up apples and cook them in the oatmeal, then add a bit of butter and just 1/4 tsp honey and some ground cinnamon - mmmmm.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She's like me and needs a LOT of protein and nearly no carbs in the morning, so she typically eats bacon, fried eggs, or (if we're really rushed) full fat greek yogurt. Sometimes a combination of these things.
She also drinks a large glass of raw milk and will occasionally have a few berries or something. She eats plenty of fruits and veggies for lunch, dinner, and snacks, but it's all about protein in the morning.

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 PM

We make what we call Super Oatmeal:

~Steel cut oats
~Chopped seasonal fruit (right now, we're doing apples, peaches and raisins, usually one Granny Smith and one local variety, depending on fridge contents)
~Chopped nuts (usually almonds, walnuts, pecans)
~2 eggs, whisked lightly
~Raw honey
~Whole milk
~1-2 tablespoons homemade butter
~1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
~1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Make the oats as normal. While they're cooking, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add spices. Add honey to taste. Stir in fruit and nuts and stir to cover. Let simmer. When the oatmeal is nearly done, gently but thoroughly whisk the eggs into the still cooking oatmeal. Add a bit of milk until desired thickness, then stir in fruit/nut mixture. If desired, you can sprinkle a bit of brown sugar on top.

I always have all of those ingredients on hand, and there's never been a morning when I've actually made enough. :-) My oldest doesn't even like oatmeal, but he'll eat 3 bowls of this.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM

theaterrmom~ that sounds sooo good! I'm going to try that but can you tell me about how much fruit? Are your add on's for making 1 C of steel cut oats? Thanks!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Cookiepie -- thanks! I use a cup of oatmeal, about 2 medium apples, a smallish peach, and probably 1/4 cup raisins (I adjust depending on how much of one fruit I have, though). I'm not too exact about it -- I do whatever looks about right. :-) The nuts probably add up to 1/2 - 3/4 cup -- sometimes it's a bit less if I'm running low.

Amanda and Dh, ds 09/00, ds 08/03, ds 10/05, and ds 05/08, and 3 :
Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
Cookiepie -- thanks! I use a cup of oatmeal, about 2 medium apples, a smallish peach, and probably 1/4 cup raisins (I adjust depending on how much of one fruit I have, though). I'm not too exact about it -- I do whatever looks about right. :-) The nuts probably add up to 1/2 - 3/4 cup -- sometimes it's a bit less if I'm running low.
Thanks I'm trying this!!!

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."
Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 PM

We love breakfast in our house. Here are a few of our staples:

Fried polenta with an egg and pasta sauce.

Wraps: spinach eggs, cheese, potato, bacon. . .pretty much whatever we have in the fridge

Cheese omelets, a sliced fruit, and toast (DD loves making omelets in the mornings)

Muesli (hot with milk and honey)

Smoothies (whatever frozen fruit, yogurt, honey, almonds, coconut oil)

Oatmeal (milk, honey, ground nuts, sometimes frozen blueberries or strawberries--if I use the fruit, I cut the honey)

Yogurt parfaits: layer yogurt, granola or muesli, fresh or frozen fruit

Sometimes I make those raisin bran muffins that makes a huge batch of batter and lasts for a couple weeks in the fridge. . .just make one pan every morning. Then the kids have yogurt and muffins.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Our breakfast of champions?

Homemade waffles with raspberries on top. I make extra waffles and freeze them for later. The raspberries are frozen (a local farm does huge bags) and we just heat them up and stir them until they are a sauce. It's about the only thing she doesn't want to put sugar on.

Sometime she may also eat a scrambled egg but not always.

But in reality, I am always just happy if I can get her to eat anything in the morning - even cereal. She usually doesn't want to eat in the mornings though I am trying to help her change this by giving her a little more time to wake up before offering food.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madskye View Post
I have a five year old and I make these mini muffin cups of scrambled egg, cheese, and bacon. You just pour the whisked eggs into a greased minimuffin tin (no liners), and top it with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook at 350 for about 10-15 minutes and you get little eggy "muffins" that you can take to go or just eat one at a time. They are pretty delicious.

For me, breakfast of champs is greek yogurt, honey, raw oatmeal, and walnuts all stirred together. I let it sit for about 10 minutes so the oats soften. Very good!
I'm going to try this muffin cup eggs. Sounds good. I'm always looking for easy things to make with dairy optional since I can't eat it. Thanks!

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Well, we are currently re-designing our food since DD now eats breakfast at pre-school, but it WAS:

fried eggs with cheese and chives on them
bread
butter
fruit

or

oatmeal with milk and berries

or (on weekends)

oat or buckwheat or whole wheat pancakes with berries and real maple syrup and... gasp... powdered sugar.

We can't afford fresh eggs. I try to buy free range or free roaming or organic whenever possible.

I'm loving the ideas here... especially the egg muffins!

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 09-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day because it determines what your energy and hunger levels are going to be for the rest of the day. A person that eats the wrong foods for breakfast will feel much more fatigued during the day and crave junk food and energy drinks.
The ideal breakfast is based on light but nutritious foods that are high in protein and fiber, and have the right carbs. The best source of protein for breakfast can be found in egg whites, cottage cheese and yogurts, and nuts. And the best source of fiber and good carbs can be found in fruit. Protein is in charge of repairing muscle and maintaining hunger levels low, and good carbs provide the body with long term energy.
eat a delicious veggie omelet or an amazing fruit and nut parfait. Here are some other option you can choose:

Quinoa with fruit (pear, peach,berries) and walnuts.

Oatmeal with yogourt and berries.

Boiled egg, cottage cheese, fresh fruit and muffin

Beans, eggs, tomatoes toast with nut butter

banana, greek yogurt, berries, hemp oil, nut butter smoothies

I am a mother of three children.  Two sons:  R - 03/09/96, W - 27/12/98 and one daughter:  M - 15/05/06
Weight Loss and Metabolism Mentor
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
I had this for breakfast today only I was too hungry to wait for steel cut oats to cook so I used rolled oats instead. IT was very good & my house smelled amazing

Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Love the ideas!!!
I have a couple of boys who get picky about breakfast. If it were not for school I would not worry. I want them full until snack/lunch. Cereal just does not cut it.

Scrambled eggs I will mix with leftover rice and sometimes a bit of salsa or cheese.

We also make mcmuffins with an egg, cheese & canadian bacon on a muffin.

Another favorite is a puffed oven pancake. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan at 400 degrees until melted. Better to use a high sided pan. Meanwhile beat until frothy a 1/2 cp flour, 1/2 cp milk, 3 eggs, dash of salt. Pour into hot pan of melted butter. Cook until puffed and golden brown about 15-20 minutes. Kind of like yorkshire pudding or popover. You can put anything on it - maple syrup, jam, apple butter. My son had a dairy allergy so I often made this with vegan butter and rice milk.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Hey Mamas,
Love this thread. My fave is the eggs in the muffin tin.
Just wanted to add - a childhood friend of mine hated breakfast, and breakfast foods. She couldn't stomache anything "heavy" in the morning....so she used to eat soup for breakfast every morning! I love this idea...a nice bean soup with some broth, and maybe a side of bread & butter or muffin. Great for snow days, and good protein and fiber. Plus, soup is soooo good

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

User Tag List