oh darn it! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made chicken soup last night and found it still sitting on the stovetop this AM!! it was done cooking at 7pm and I told my husband to just leave it out for a min so it cooled a bit, it was still boiling hot at about 8pm and I guess we both kinda forgot about it. I woke up at 5am and it was room temp and on the stove I just put it in the fridge but i'm weary of eating it now, what do you guys think? I did a quick google search and found the answers to be half and half :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 09:24 AM

I've done that one too many times We tend to just pop it in the fridge then eat it later. I hate wasting food. I tend to buy expensive organics and we just can't afford to waste. . . We haven't gotten sick from doing this, but I guess from reading other threads on stuff like this that others have. That being said, I'd pop it in the fridge and eat it later. . .after bringing it to a boil for a couple minutes.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM

I have done it as well. I agree, if you bring it to a boil for a few minutes when you reheat it, you should be fine.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I have done it as well. I agree, if you bring it to a boil for a few minutes when you reheat it, you should be fine.
I forget to put it in the fridge every.single.time. I make broth/stock. It always sits out over night...I just boil it for a few minutes before using and we've always been fine.

Mother to 6
13, 11, 9, 6, 4, 1
Pray, Hope and Don't Worry
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM

another vote for boil and eat.

DH comes from a culture where meat-based dishes sit on the pot on the back of the stove and are heated to boiling once a day. They usually last several days. (Granted, many or most of these dishes are thought to have ingredients that have preservative properties, like certain spices.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 AM

one more vote for boil and eat, or boil, cool fast, then freeze.

i make big pots of soup all the time in winter and i almost never put it in the fridge. the stock pot just sits at the back of the stove. i make sure it is heated through before i eat any of it. my dh will just scoop it out of the pot and eat it room temp, tho, and he hasn't gotten sick, yet *knocks on wood*. i suppose that his gut is used to it, tho, since he's been eating like that his whole life.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 09-11-2010, 05:56 PM

A lot of us have posted this same thread! And the answers are usually half n half. Personally, I have forgotten the stock overnight twice. I just cooked it for several hours the next day and then did the usual (freeze some eat some). So far, no sickness for any of us.

Now, I set the timer for like 5 hours, though, to make sure we remember to put it in the fridge before bed.

User Tag List