Do you/dc eat raw cookie dough?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you/dc eat raw cookie dough?
No way! Are you crazy?! 12 100.00%
Yes! Of course! 113 100.00%
Yes, but only if the eggs came were local/organic/free range/etc 19 100.00%
Other 7 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
How do you sub eggs for bannanas???
bananas (Substitute 1/2 of a mashed ripe banana plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder for each egg.) from http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggs.html

This sub works really well for me in muffins and cookies. You do get a slight banana flavor. I find that the riper the banana, the less banana-y the cookies taste.

You can also sub flaxmeal, but I never noticed that before, so haven't tried it. I'll test it next time I bake.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 02:21 AM

I voted yes. The only times I've ever been sick with food poisoning were from eating out, so I'm not too concerned (for better or worse.) If any of us were to start feeling ill, it would be kefir, kefir, kefir and vitamin C, garlic, etc. But I don't really feel like it's that much of a concern especially since I don't make cookies very often anyway.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#33 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 02:56 AM

I voted for the third (conditional) option but for me it's more about the fact that I know EXACTLY where my eggs come from. They're far more than organic and free-range. They are truly pastured eggs--the best kind and I have no fear of what they might harbor. Actually we need to be better about eating them raw more regularly (on purpose!).

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#34 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
bananas (Substitute 1/2 of a mashed ripe banana plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder for each egg.) from http://www.foodsubs.com/Eggs.html

This sub works really well for me in muffins and cookies. You do get a slight banana flavor. I find that the riper the banana, the less banana-y the cookies taste.

You can also sub flaxmeal, but I never noticed that before, so haven't tried it. I'll test it next time I bake.
Flaxseed meal works marvelously in oatmeal cookies, less awesomely in plain old chocolate chip or sugar cookie dough. The best egg-free chocolate chip recipe I've found is this one: http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...p-cookies.html
#35 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
yes and i love every bite!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#36 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yup. NZ eggs don't have salmonella anyway - or didn't, many years ago, when I did a food safety course. If they've become contaminated since then, I'm comfortable not knowing about it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#37 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM

I have been known to bake cakes/cookies specifically so I can eat some raw.
#38 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Yes, we eat raw cookie dough in our house. . .heck, my DS's fav breakfast is a raw egg mixed with cooked rice with a little bit of light soy sauce and nori sprinkles. We do buy local or at least free range organic eggs and I do wash them before cracking. If the eggs are old, I'm a little more picky about my kids eating the batter but I still do it

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#39 of 60 Old 10-04-2010, 11:56 PM

Once when DS was 8 or 9 months old I was making Pb cookie while holding him on my hip and while I am busy doing something else (ie not paying attention) he just starts shoveling in cooklie dough! He had never had PB or eggs lol but he was fine with it all. It was terriby funny
#40 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM

We sure do! I'm a big baker who's been eating raw dough my whole life (33 years) and I've never been sick from raw dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
The only times I've ever been sick with food poisoning were from eating out.
#41 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM

I do not have enough will power to abstain from the cookie dough.

I had to choose the only if we have local/free range eggs because that's all we buy. Hopefully we'll be getting our own chickens next year and then they'll be even more local.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#42 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 AM

I've been eating raw cookie down and licking cake batter and all that fun stuff as long as I can remember, and I have never gotten sick from it. And, I've don't A LOT of baking in my life.

I've only ever gotten food poisoning once in my life, and it was from a water bottle that I pulled out of my purse and drank. I thought it was a new bottle but later realized that it was a bottle I had filled up from tap water several days earlier and left in my purse and forgotten about. Yep...that was not fun That was NOT fun. Now, I'm super paranoid about water and water bottles (we use kk) and making sure we empty them as soon as we get home, and only drink from freshly filled bottles.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#43 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes. I've never known anyone to get sick from it. Considering the recent outbreaks of food poisoning from foods such as lettuce, tomatoes, and peanut butter, I think we're taking a chance - however tiny - of getting sick no matter what we eat. Raw egg in some cookie dough doesn't scare me any more than eating a salad from bagged lettuce or food from a restaurant.
#44 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Don't generally eat cookies (and if I do I like them warm), but when I mix a batter/dough with whole raw eggs and DS wants a taste, I give him a little--not worried about pathogens in our eggs (bought straight from a beyond organic farm) more about the enzyme inhibitors in the white. We do raw yolks in yogurt, oatmeal, etc.
#45 of 60 Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM

I've always eaten cookie dough, but we've stopped eating eggs for health reasons. So most of our cookies contain ground flaxseeds instead =)

Mom to Lovebug 2/10 and wife to DH.
Thrilled to debut our beautiful 2011 breastfeeding calendar! www.beautyofmothering.com
#46 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM

I looooove raw cookie dough. And raw egg nog, too! But we've got our own silly hens running around the backyard and I can see for myself that they aren't sick. I wouldn't eat the cheap eggs from the store raw, not at all.
#47 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post
I've only ever gotten food poisoning once in my life, and it was from a water bottle that I pulled out of my purse and drank.
I totally had no idea that could happen! Do you mind if I ask how you know for sure it was from the water bottle? I drink day old water occasionally- I'm a little bit freaked out now.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#48 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
I totally had no idea that could happen! Do you mind if I ask how you know for sure it was from the water bottle? I drink day old water occasionally- I'm a little bit freaked out now.
If you've had your mouth on the bottle or container, then organisms from your mouth are left behind in the water. If the bottle is then left in a warm place, or left for a long period of time, those organisms can probably breed and grow. Most of the time, they're harmless organisms, or there's not so many of them, but theoretically I think it's possible to get molds or bacteria in there that might make a person sick.

It's the same reason bottlefeeding mamas are advised to throw away formula after an hour, once baby has had his/her mouth on the bottle-- because the formula is an ideal medium for yuckies to grow in.

It's never happened to me, though.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#49 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM

I personally don't like raw cookie dough, so I never had my daughters try it yet... their digestive system is still immature anyways so I don't think they'll handle raw cookie dough too well.
#50 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 PM

Hi Mamas,
So... I'm in the minority here, but I would never eat raw cookie dough..... nor would I let my kids.
I say this in part because my DD1 was hospitalized and almost died from salmonella poisoning, and we are fairly certain it came from raw eggs (she ate raw cookie dough at a friend's house while they were baking).... After watching what she went through, I could never intentionally put her in that position again. We do not eat ice cream, egg nog, raw cookie dough, etc. from raw or undercooked eggs, as she is at a higher risk of suffering from salmonella poisoning again now that she's had it.
Yes, I do know that there was a risk from any food that is not properly handled such as tomatoes, peanut butter, etc., but I prefer to not take any more chances than I absolutely have to.
~maddymama
#51 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
2xy

My kids have never had food poisoning. DH and I have both had it a couple of times, but never from eggs.

Yeah, we lick the beaters/bowls. I worry more about deli meat and leftovers in the fridge than about eggs. And no, I don't always buy organic eggs. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, and sometimes we are lucky enough to get fresh eggs from friends.
#52 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
If you've had your mouth on the bottle or container, then organisms from your mouth are left behind in the water. If the bottle is then left in a warm place, or left for a long period of time, those organisms can probably breed and grow. Most of the time, they're harmless organisms, or there's not so many of them, but theoretically I think it's possible to get molds or bacteria in there that might make a person sick.

It's the same reason bottlefeeding mamas are advised to throw away formula after an hour, once baby has had his/her mouth on the bottle-- because the formula is an ideal medium for yuckies to grow in.
Bacteria in formula will feed on the formula. What will they feed upon in water?
#53 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 10:31 PM

I LOVE cookie dough. I use eggs from MIL's farm though. But I would likely eat it even if I did not have eggs from her hens.
#54 of 60 Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've never had any ill effects from anything I've eaten. I've eaten raw cookie dough with conventional eggs all my life.

ETA: I was careful about not letting ds have raw eggs in cookie dough when he was a toddler. I'd use potato starch egg replacer if he was "helping." But he's been eating raw dough with eggs for years now. He's like me, not susceptible to stomach troubles or throwing up.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#55 of 60 Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
I've never had any ill effects from anything I've eaten. I've eaten raw cookie dough with conventional eggs all my life.
Me too. We made cookies, or brownies, or cakes, weekly in my house growing up (from a box, but with the cheapest, most covnentional eggs added!) and I was never, ever sick. I don't make cookies often, and my DD is still small enough that I can avoid letting her have sugar if I keep it out of eyesight, but if the time comes when she wants some, she can have it

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#56 of 60 Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 PM

OK, I'm obviously irrational, but I totally eat the dough. It's one of God's gift to humankind. Raw cookie dough. Ahhh... bliss!

And I'm speaking from the perspective of having had multiple bouts of food poisoning (NONE from cookie dough, mind you) because I live in China and it can't be avoided here, especially if you live here long term and aren't a hermit.

I am careful to examine my eggs, but I probably ought to be more careful about washing them before I crack them into the mixing bowl.

I don't let my son eat it, but will someday - he's only 3! He just had his first bout of food poisoning here - and it wasn't pretty - I'm much more protective of him than I am of myself.

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#57 of 60 Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I thought washing the eggs increases the chance of contamination?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#58 of 60 Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 PM

I put other because I do it when she's not looking but I won't let my two year old lick raw egg! I guess if we had farm-fresh eggs, or if she was older, it would be ok. But she still has such a tiny, easily dehydrated body that I'm not risking it right now!

We did get violently ill at one point this summer and have no idea if it was related to the egg recall or what but the worst part was worrying about her when she couldn't keep down breastmilk or water for several hours.
#59 of 60 Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM

For me, the answer is "Yes, of course!" I will eat it raw, regardless of the source of the eggs.
DH doesn't want the children to eat dough with raw eggs due the risk of salmonella. He also thinks raw dough is gross, so he doesn't understand why you'd want to, even if it were safe. So, for a long time the dc didn't get raw dough. Now we have our own chickens, so I let them eat it and DH hasn't said anything. I wash them right before we use them.

Mama to three  
#60 of 60 Old 10-26-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm the other. On the one hand, I have my own chickens and nice safe organic eggs to make cookie dough with. On the other hand, I was raised by a nurse who taught me not to take food chances... I eat it and allow the kids to eat it after its been frozen for some time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page