Do you/dc eat raw cookie dough?? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you/dc eat raw cookie dough?
No way! Are you crazy?! 12 100.00%
Yes! Of course! 113 100.00%
Yes, but only if the eggs came were local/organic/free range/etc 19 100.00%
Other 7 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I know theres another thread on here about raw egg right now, but I *SWEAR* its just coincidence Anyhow. DS1 & I were making choc chip cookies today, and after we were mostly done I let him like the spoons/beaters like I always used to do. And, it made me wonder. How many of you let your lil ones lick spoons/eat raw cookie dough?
#2 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am rather laissez-faire about food-borne illnesses, since nobody in our family has ever gotten worse than a few hours of cramps, but I do think the eggs (and beef, and chicken) supplied by our local farm are significantly cleaner than the equivalent products at Wal-Mart. I wouldn't let them lick the beaters if I were using industrially produced eggs.
#3 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM

I don't normally eat cookie dough, but if the kids want too, they're more than welcome to. My 8 year old loves raw batter, my 4 year old thinks its all gross.
#4 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM

I am careful about how I crack the eggs and I buy the best we can afford, but I guess I figure... it's worth it. It's irrational and sentimental.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#5 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM

We do, but we are egg free due to allergies, so there's nothing that could make them sick. :

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#6 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM

We do, but I don't use eggs in my cookies.
#7 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Of course I do! I'm vegan!

cruelty-free, beastie-full!
#8 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM

We don't-- but that's mostly because we don't eat cookies much. But in the more general sense of eating things with raw eggs-- I have moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis, and my digestion is delicate to begin with. So I'm extremely cautious about food-borne illness for myself, and thus for all of us, since I'm the one who cooks. I don't eat raw or undercooked eggs, even when I get them from my neighbor. Salmonella can be transmitted by wild birds, and if chickens are permitted access to the outside even the best-kept chickens can be exposed to it. I don't think the risk is all that enormous, but for me, even a minor vomiting-and-diarrhea illness can kick my disease into a full-blown flare, and I almost died of my last flare.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 07:13 PM

I do. DD dosen't because she has a small egg allergy. She can eat the baked cookies no problem, but the raw dough gives her hives.

I'm another who's fairly casual about food borne illness.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#10 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Once she was 3 or 4, yes. We always have the local eggs and I feel like they're safer, and I only let her get a few tablespoons at most. It was a great part of my childhood! still is...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#11 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 08:07 PM

I think cooking the cookies ruins them!! I like the dough a million times better than I like the baked cookies!
We do stick to local/organic eggs, but even if we didn't I'd eat the dough anyway. It's not something I make frequently (less than 4 times a year probably), so I don't worry to much.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#12 of 60 Old 10-01-2010, 08:13 PM

Nope. We recently added eggs back into our diet so I stopped letting the kids lick the beaters. It actually solved the problem of three kids wanting to lick but only two lick-able beaters

Homeschooling mama of four fantastic kids and wife to one great guy.
#13 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 09:50 AM

living in peru, i've had food poisoning enough times to know that it is not worth the risk. i raise my own chickens too, but i would never eat raw eggs. if the cookie dough was egg-free, then by all means...

raising my two sunshine children.

#14 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 AM

I don't encourage it. . . but mainly cause I no longer find raw cookie dough appealing (I did eat it as a teenager) and I'd just rather eat a cooked cookie. She might sneak a finger-lick here or there, but I don't just hand it over.

We do seem to make cookies once a month or so, so we do have stuff around. And we do get high quality eggs, so that's not the issue. Kiddo is happy enough licking whipped cream or frosting off the mixing spoons when I make those things, so I guess that's our egg-free substitution.
#15 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 12:15 PM

Mmm... cookie dough, some things are worth the risk
#16 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayward View Post
Of course I do! I'm vegan!
Me too, so I voted "other." That's IMO the best thing about vegan baking! I have a muffin recipe that I don't even cook, I literally just eat the batter.

Growing up, we ate raw cookie dough and brownie batter every time my mom baked. She thought it was an important part of being a kid.

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#17 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
Me too, so I voted "other." That's IMO the best thing about vegan baking! I have a muffin recipe that I don't even cook, I literally just eat the batter.

Growing up, we ate raw cookie dough and brownie batter every time my mom baked. She thought it was an important part of being a kid.

I'd love that recipe
#18 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 PM

The only cookies I ever make use coconut flour and a lot of eggs and I think raw eggs are very healthy, but they have to be free range organic eggs, so yes I think its healthy to eat the raw cookie dough I make.

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

#19 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Sure. Of course, I eat raw eggs sometimes too. (raw egg, honey, milk and nutmeg blended together for breakfast!)

I have my own chickens so I know everything that happened to the eggs though.
#20 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM

yummmm.......raw cookie dough.

Of course!!!!

But I should add the disclaimer that our eggs come from our own chickens so there is no question about the safety since they are our own.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#21 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Well, I'm vegan so my cookie dough doesn't contain eggs I always eat the dough.

When I was younger and an omnivore, my mother let us eat the dough before she added the eggs. I don't remember ever minding it being egg-less.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#22 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 PM

Yes, and we do use eggs (almost always free range, organic, but not always). I just don't worry about it, and cookie dough is so much better than cookies are.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
I'd love that recipe
They're really called Vegan Full Meal Muffins, but I call them Carrot Cake Muffins.

I use white flour and oat flour instead of spelt and barley flours, carrots instead of zucchini, and add golden raisins. DH likes them cooked so I bake some for him, but on the night I make them I always eat a bowl of the batter for dinner. I can't believe I'm admitting this!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#24 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post
They're really called Vegan Full Meal Muffins, but I call them Carrot Cake Muffins.

I use white flour and oat flour instead of spelt and barley flours, carrots instead of zucchini, and add golden raisins. DH likes them cooked so I bake some for him, but on the night I make them I always eat a bowl of the batter for dinner. I can't believe I'm admitting this!
Thanks! I am going to make these this week - using only whole wheat flour - hope it works
#25 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 PM

I wanted to add, though, that I haev read before that it isn't wise to eat raw flour - but I don't remember why not...
#26 of 60 Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh god yes. I actually try not to let the real little kids do so because of salmonella. But the older kids I at least warn about it first and let them make that choice. I've been eating raw cookie dough since I could walk (and way more than I will admit to...) and have never gotten food poisoning from it in any way. It's the only thing I'll eat undercooked eggs in.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#27 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I eat raw cookie dough, but only if I make it with bananas (or another egg sub) instead of eggs.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#28 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Only if we use an egg sub. I teach food safety and I'm a bit, well, very cautious about food safety! My family teases me pretty much constantly about all the things they can't do with food in front of me (defrost on the counter, eat cookie dough, leave things out, etc.).

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#29 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

How do you sub eggs for bannanas???
#30 of 60 Old 10-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Yes, I do, I'll let my toddler have a little lick, but I'm likely to eat half the batter before cooking.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page