I want your hummus recipes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a hummus addict... I have a stock pile of chick peas and want to start making it myself rather than spending way too much on the quick and convenient store bought stuff. What are some of your favorite recipes and varieties? mmm my mouth is watering already!
#2 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM

2-3 garlic cloves, juice of 1-2 lemons, maybe 1/4-1/3 c. tahini and about a cups worth of chickpeas (cooked), plus a good splash of olive oil, and cooking water. and salt to taste. adjust until it tastes just right. That's a half batch (I cook 2 c. of chickpeas, and make it into 2-3 batches, because mroe doesn't fit in the blender. I also mix everything but the chickpeas first in the blender, making sure there is a bunch of liquid. it's easier to add more chickpeas than more liquid.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm a hummus head and will eat it with just about anything.
Here's my raw version using no chickpeas, but trust me, it's yummy!
http://andeverything-in-between.blog...do-hummus.html

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 AM

I always wing it, and my hummus is so inconsistent. Yesterday I tried this recipe and it turned out perfectly.

Also, I used dried chickpeas and made them in the crockpot. Soaked overnight in the crockpot, drained and rinsed, covered with water again and set to low for 8 hours. I will be doing all of my beans this way from now on because I didn't have to think about them, it was so nice and easy.
#5 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 01:24 PM

My favorite hummus recipe EVER is the Spicy Red Pepper Hummus from Fat Free Vegan.

I make it for all our parties/potlucks/playdates and it's always a huge hit (with the grown-ups, it's really spicy for kids).

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 PM

For me, I've discovered that if I cook my beans the day before, drain them and refrigerate them, I get a better texture to my hummus for some reason.

I believe I started with 2 c of dried beans with my last batch, soak overnight, I overcook them so they puree easier, drain and refrigerate overnight.

In the FP I toss about half a dozen cloves of garlic, about a tsp of salt and the juice of half a lemon. Puree that until there are no chunks left. Add the beans and a generous amount of olive oil. Puree a bit, scrape down, puree a bit more. I add about 2 heaping spoonfuls (serving spoon, not cereal spoon, so at least 1/4 c) of tahini, puree a bit more. I needed the juice of 3 lemons, a lot of salt and at least 1/4 c of olive oil. Once the puree starts working nicely, I just let it run for several minutes, taste and adjust the salt and lemon juice as needed (if it needs more garlic, it needs to be pressed before adding). This made about 6 c of hummus - it filled a quart jar and a soup bowl.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page