What do you do with all your breadcrumbs/ends? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bake bread and often an inch or two gets stale and we don't eat it. I throw it in the freezer for recipes calling for breadcrumbs. But I don't eat enough of those recipes to ever use up all these odd pieces in the freezer.

Is there some sort of bread pudding I can make with all these? Preferably dairy free? Something with veggies, maybe quiche-like? Any ideas?? TIA
#2 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 PM

i do the same thing with ends and also rarely use bread crumbs in my cooking, still i be sure and keep a jar just in case i need them. with the rest i make crutons for salad, dh will only eat salad with crutons. i will also make stuffing/dressing with them during this time of year.

bread pudding would be good. or a baked egg and veggie dish. off to find a recipe.
#3 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 10:31 PM

I make shnitzel (if you're not vegetarian). Also yummy are fried breaded eggplant & zucchini

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#4 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hmmm I buy store bread and nobody ever eats the ends. I freeze them and have made French toast.

I have also broken them up and used them for the base of a breakfast casserole recipe that was in my grandma's collection. (it called for croutons, I thaw and then toast in the oven these bread ends and break them up, it works just fine. All you do basically is that with the bread, brown breakfast sausage (I use turkey, we don't eat pork), scramble eggs with cheese and milk (I suppose you could leave out the milk, or use rice or soy milk for dairy-free) and then the original was cream-mushroom soup but I make my own white sauce gravy thing for the top.

I also make a sort of bread pudding thing that basically takes the dried out bread, pour milk (again probably any) over it in a pan, add raisins and sweetener of choice, bake. 20 minutes?

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Came across this which is great for this time of year with apples and pears!

Apple Pear Brown Betty

3 Granny Smith Apples
3 ripe pears
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 slices whole wheat bread
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel and slice apples and pears into thin slices. Cube the whole wheat bread slices. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss apples and pears with lemon juice in bowl. Toss bread cubes/crumbs with butter and sugar in another bowl. Combine brown sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl. Spread half of fruit in 9" square baking dish. Sprinkle with half the bread cubes and then half the sugar mixture. Repeat layering. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 minutes more. Serve with custard sauce.
#6 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
besides what has been said- I use them for crust-less quiche, stuffed mushrooms, meatballs and topping on mac & cheese

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM

my kids will eat the ends, but dh and i won't before we procreated they'd be squirrel food!

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif
#8 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 AM

I just figured out how to make my own bread crumbs and have been making killer chicken milenesa's. I you tear the bread and kind of rub it together in your hands you end up with panko style crumbs that are a bit bigger and more jagged than regular bread crumbs. Then I mix them with fresh herbs, my fav is basil, lemon zest/juice, salt, and pepper. I bake em in the oven for five to seven minutes and then let them cool while I get the chicken ready. Then I fry up the chicken in a mix of olive oil and earth balance for that buttery flavor and it is so freakin' yummy. Stale bread is also really good for french toast, thickening soups, and homemade croutons.
#9 of 12 Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM

There are veggie bread pudding quiche like recipes - I've never made them though... worth googling.

I think bread pudding is my favorite way to use old bread - easy and really yummy - although I find many recipes are way too full of sugar for my liking. I found a recipe from weelicious.com that I like (and I'm sure you could use milk other than cow's milk):

Breakfast Bread Pudding (Makes 4-6 Servings)
3 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Milk
3 Tbsp Honey, or to taste
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
Pinch Salt
2 Small Apples, peeled, cored and cut into small dice (I like Gala, Fuji or Golden Delicious)
1/3 Cup Raisins
5 Slices Whole wheat or Multigrain Bread (fresh or stale bread), cut in 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Butter a 1 1/2-quart, 8-inch square baking dish.
3. Beat the eggs, milk, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
4. Stir in the apples, raisins and bread cubes. Using your hands or a rubber spatula combine the ingredients to make sure everything is evenly coated.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish pressing down lightly. Cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
* You can prepare the breakfast bread pudding ahead at this point. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
6. Bake for 30 minutes covered. Uncover and continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes. Bake until golden and cooked through.
7. Serve.

I skip the raisins and apples for my crew and add smashed bananas. Applesauce would also work very well, I imagine. I also add more cinnamon than called for and a bit more honey. It's not overly sweet and it really is a great breakfast food. Nice and filling.

Makes me want to have more old bread around just so I can make it more often!

Lizbiz, wife to my man who makes me smile, and mom to one bouncy boy (08/07), one sassy girl (12/09), and one sweet new boy (08/12).

#10 of 12 Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

: Sounds most yummy! Thanks
#11 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Save them (cut into cubes) for your Tday stuffing!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#12 of 12 Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
Save them (cut into cubes) for your Tday stuffing!
I do this too. I don't bother cutting them into cubes first though

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page