Fish, Breastmilk and Contamination - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-20-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am breastfeeding my two and half year old daughter and I am considering adding some fish to my diet. I understand that we can only have certain types of fish and no more than 12 ounces a week.

Do the contaminants from fish I eat end up in my breastmilk?
If I gave my daughter fish to eat and eat the fish myself also, she would be getting twice the amount of contaminants allowable, correct?
How do I handle this? Which fish should we eat in this situation and does this situation change the amount of fish that is safe for her?
Please tell me what rules you follow or perhaps direct me somewhere else to learn more.
Thank you so much!
#2 of 4 Old 10-21-2010, 12:13 AM

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/c...endations.aspx

That link is a good resource for determining what kinds of fish are safe in what volumes. Generally long living predatory fish are more contaminated than fish with a shorter lifespan. Typically wild caught is safer than farmed.

Remember that your body filters out harmful things. Not everything you eat ends up directly in your breastmilk.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#3 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 AM

Wild Alaskan seafood has very little contaminants in it because the ocean environment is cleaner. Also the Alaskan fisheries are really well managed, so you don't have to worry about environmental impact.

I would really recommend adding fish to your diet, it's really the only source of long-chain omega 3 fatty acids, which are soooo good for your brain and heart and eyes, and especially important for the brain development of your child.

I think salmon has the highest levels of omega 3's and the least contaminants...
#4 of 4 Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Back to research.... bleh

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page