Canned salmon recipes...convince my dh! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so I shaved $21 off our food budget last week and I am pumped for more!

Dh admits we've been eating really well, but then I'm a foodie and he's used to pricey ingredients and a ton of food prep from me. Basically, I've been focusing even more on everything from scratch (always making bread and soup, using the absolute last of everytying). I bought a large tin of canned salmon on sale, thinking it would be a good budget-stretcher.

Dh is rebelling. He says it reminds him of his childhood church bazarre suppers and he doesn't mean that in a good way.

So now it's personal. Anyone got a KILLER canned salmon recipe to share? We have no dietary restrictions, except allergies to scallops and shrimp. Cheese, eggs and other dairy are welcome.

We are not on a tight budget. I can cut a LOT further.

Thanks.
#2 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Salmon Burgers

Adapted from Mark Bittman (“Bitten,” NYT, June 6, 2008)

Yield: 4 large burgers

* 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless salmon or canned salmon
* 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 2 shallots, peeled and cut into chunks
* 1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs
* 1 tablespoon capers, drained
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
* Lemon wedges
* Tabasco sauce
* Optional burger toppings: lettuce, red onion, Provolone, tartar sauce

1. Cut the salmon into large chunks, and put about a quarter of it into the container of a food processor, along with the mustard. Turn the machine on, and let it run – stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary – until the mixture becomes pasty.

2. Add the shallots and the remaining salmon, and pulse the machine until the fish is chopped and combined with the puree. No piece should be larger than a quarter inch or so; be careful not make the mixture too fine.

3. Scrape the mixture into a bowl, and stir in the bread crumbs, capers and some salt and pepper. Shape into four burgers.

4. Place the butter or oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet, and turn the heat to medium-high. When the butter foam subsides or the oil is hot, cook the burgers for 2 to 3 minutes a side, turning once. Alternatively, you can grill them: let them firm up on the first side, grilling about 4 minutes, before turning over and finishing for just another minute or two. To check for doneness, make a small cut and peek inside. Be careful not to overcook. Serve on a bed of greens or on buns or by themselves, with lemon wedges and Tabasco or any dressing you like.

Salmon Patties Recipe
Print Options

* Print (no photos)
* Print (with photos)

Ingredients

* 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon, undrained and flaked
* 1 slice of bread, shredded
* 3 Tbsp chopped green onion, including the green parts
* 1 medium garlic clove, minced
* 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill weed, or 1 teaspoon dried
* 3 Tbsp minced green bell pepper
* 1 Tbsp flour
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
* 1 teaspoon salt
* Several turns of freshly ground black pepper
* 3 Tbsp vegetable oil

Method

1 In a large bowl, gently mix together the salmon, bread, green onion, garlic, dill, bell pepper, flour, egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Form into 8 patties; each about 1/2 inch thick.

2 Heat oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook the patties until nicely browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Serves 4.

raising my two sunshine children.

#3 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, la mamita! I have all those ingredients and I can make the buns. I LOVE capers. I'll plan them for Tuesday and let you know! We have TONS of fresh, cheap haddock; so we can't really handle any more fish-cake type things. But dh loves burgers. I wish I hadn't said anything about canned. He'd never have known. Lesson learned.
#4 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM

Salmon cakes w/ Homemade Tartar Sauce

This is pretty much the same as our recipe....except replace the vegetable oil with a healthier oil (coconut oil makes them taste amazing).

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1926...243194,00.html

Tartar sauce is simple.

Mayonnaise
Chopped Pickles
Dill spice
Lemon juice
Sea Salt
Pepper (optional, but delicious)

Mix together. I have no measurements for the tartar sauce recipe. I just go by taste.

Enjoy!

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#5 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Uh, I just saw this:

Quote:
so we can't really handle any more fish-cake type things.
Feel free to dismiss the recipe I just posted.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#6 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What kind of canned salmon? With or without skin? Pink or red? The canned salmon (pink or red) with skin and bones makes great salmon patties. The canned salmon without skin and bones makes great fish tacos or can be substituted in any tuna recipe or tuna sandwich.

Here's my salmon patty recipe:

1 15 ounce can of salmon with liquid, skin and bones
1 cup rolled oats (regular or quick)
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin with some green
juice of one lemon (I have omitted this when I didn't have a lemon; usually will need 2 eggs if omitting lemon)
1-2 eggs

Mix everything together and form into 6 patties. Fry in coconut oil. Can be served hot or cold in buns as a sandwich (add sliced tomato, cheese, dill sauce, lettuce, etc.) or as the protein part of a meal. If part of a meal, I usually serve dill sauce, peas, and rice or mashed potatoes. If I serve baked beans or fried rice, I omit the dill sauce and do a different green vegetable (broccoli is a favorite)

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#7 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 12:21 AM

I was going to post that exact same Bittman recipe! I make that all the time and it's always a big hit. My kids love it too (the first time I served them DD and I got into a fight over whether they were "salmon cakes" or "salmon cookies" until I realized "WTF? I'm arguing with a 2 year old over whether something that she's eating is called a cookie? Something very wrong with me here...").

I serve it with blueberry sauce (I have no idea why I got into that, but for some reason it really works) and rice.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#8 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 01:18 AM
2xy

Allrecipes.com has a list of 20 best canned salmon recipes. Lots of fish-cake or fish-patty recipes, but also one for creamed salmon on toast, salmon chowder, salmon couscous salad, etc.
#9 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 AM

I don't have exact ingredients:

1. Two slices of bread ( I butter one slice of the bread)

2. Mayo

3. A little bit of honey or maple syrup or agave (up to you)

4. pinch of salt

5. Sometimes I add dried fruit since my daughter likes dried fruit like dried cranberries, raisins, etc.

I mix all ingredients together and spread on bread, but in small pieces or in half. My girls seem to like it.

Btw, after posting this I now just realized this is for your husband (DH- Dearest husband? ) Maybe he might like it... you can add some sweet relish instead of the dried fruits if that is the case and some cayenne powder to spice it up if you like.
#10 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I like making salmon chowder with tinned salmon. I just went to find my recipe, and it's not with my other soup recipes .

This recipe from Allrecipes is close though:

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups diced potatoes
2 carrots, diced
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 (16 ounce) cans salmon
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions

Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender. Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, pepper, and dill. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, corn, and cheese. Cook until heated through.

*** Differences: My recipe used
-fresh, minced garlic, not powdered
-regular whole milk, not canned evaporated
-frozen corn kernels, not canned creamed
- no cheese
#11 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM

I used to make this one from Cooking Light mag, and used canned/pouch salmon instead of fresh. It's really tasty.

1 1/2 cups uncooked farfalle (about 4 ounces bow tie pasta)
2/3 cup shelled edamame
Cooking spray
1 (4-ounce) salmon fillet, skinned
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped red onion
4 ounces baby spinach (about 6 cups)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
4 teaspoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes. Add edamame; cook 6 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and place in a large bowl.

Heat a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add salmon; cook 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning once. Coarsely chop salmon. Add to pasta mixture; toss gently to combine.

Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; cook 2 minutes or just until wilted, stirring frequently. Add spinach mixture and dill to pasta mixture; toss gently to combine. Add mustard, salt, and pepper; toss gently to coat.

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#12 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the amazing recipes! I love salmon patties, so I actually WILL make the ones posted here; so thanks! It's just that at the moment, I have a supply of fresh haddock "bits" that I only paid $1.25 per pound for. They're not actually really bits, but big enough to turn into fish and chips. However, they make amazing fish cakes and they freeze really well. I'd actually like to mix them with salmon. Wait, maybe I'll make the salmon patty recipes; but use our haddock instead!

The pasta might work. And I think the salmon-on-toast or "salmon melts." Thing is, dh WILL eat what I make; he really has no choice. It's sockeye wild red pacific salmon with bones; is that the best kind? I am determined to work this into our meal rotation. Funny thing is, dh really likes canned tuna. I heard canned salmon is much lower in mercury, though. He'll just have to adjust. We are well under budget again; really under budget. I'm getting excited!

Thanks again. This will be part of my new meal plan, so canned salmon is scheduled for Tuesday evening. It'll be the salmon burgers, I think; I have left over capers that should get used up. I think I can get away with this about once every 2 weeks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page