Filtering tap water - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, mods please move if it's the wrong place...

We have city water & I want to get a filter to remove the fluoride. I guess I'm not sure if there are other things I should look for in a filter -- other things that we should remove? And I don't want to go too far in the other direction & remove beneficial things... i.e. RO would make me a little nervous but maybe it's the best option?

We can't attach a filter to our faucet because it's a faucet/sprayer in one... so I think we need an under-counter filter, or we could hook up our fridge to dispense water if that's easier for filtering, or maybe a glass pitcher with a filter???

Digging a well is out of our price-range right now. Soooo... thoughts?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#2 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 08:20 AM

I need to know this too!! What is the best filter to buy to attach to the kitchen faucet?

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#3 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM

There's nothing I found that had a proven track record (there are a lot of companies that *say* they remove fluoride, but then I did further research and would find lots of negative reviews.

The only thing I found that has even remotely positive reviews is a Berkey system, which is what we're getting for our house in a few weeks...just the Big Berkey water dispenser.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 12 Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Oh man.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 12 Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

The only thing I found that has even remotely positive reviews is a Berkey system, which is what we're getting for our house in a few weeks...just the Big Berkey water dispenser.

Did you end up getting it?  How do you like it?

I really want to buy a Berkey, but I just don't know where I'd put it.  Do you have a stand for it?

#6 of 12 Old 01-09-2011, 07:10 PM

I have a berky, it's wonderful. The water tastes great and the only plastic is the spigot. I don't have the stand because our counter has a higher section so we just put it up there. I do, however, miss having cold water without having to get ice out.

#7 of 12 Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have a Berkey and love it!  I did a ton of research on water filtration and compared different systems, etc.  I posted a lot of the research on my blog when I was in the midst of it - http://onelittlewordsheknew.blogspot.com/2009/08/whats-in-my-water-part-1.html

#8 of 12 Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

someone recently posted about the 'Zero water filter' which is a pitcher that filters water.  I looked at the website briefly and it costs around 35-40 dollars depending on which size you get and they send a water testing thing that tells you how much of dissolved solids are in your water.  The website says that although they haven't done specific testing for flouride, a rating of 000 should mean there isn't any but I didn't look too closely into it.

It is certainly a lot cheaper than the berkey and worth looking into, but the pitchers are plastic (however they say BPA free and junk) and I can't say if they actually measure up to the proven effectiveness of berkey.  Especially considering the price, I wouldn't know if its as good as the site makes it appear at first glance.

#9 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

So I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, mods please move if it's the wrong place...

We have city water & I want to get a filter to remove the fluoride. I guess I'm not sure if there are other things I should look for in a filter -- other things that we should remove? And I don't want to go too far in the other direction & remove beneficial things... i.e. RO would make me a little nervous but maybe it's the best option?

We can't attach a filter to our faucet because it's a faucet/sprayer in one... so I think we need an under-counter filter, or we could hook up our fridge to dispense water if that's easier for filtering, or maybe a glass pitcher with a filter???

Digging a well is out of our price-range right now. Soooo... thoughts?

Just out of curiosity - why does RO make you nervous?

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#10 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM

Maybe this is a long shot, but check to see if there is a spring near you. Then you can get unflouridated water. You'll still have to filter of course.

http://www.findaspring.com/

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#11 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post

Just out of curiosity - why does RO make you nervous?

Because it basically removes EVERYTHING, even trace minerals etc. which I feel our bodies probably need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

Maybe this is a long shot, but check to see if there is a spring near you. Then you can get unflouridated water. You'll still have to filter of course.

http://www.findaspring.com/

The closest one is almost an hour away :-/

I am still looking into the filter options, the Big Berkey looks great except that it is SO big... our counter space is already at a minimum!! I was really hoping for something more... unobtrusive I guess... like an under-the-sink system or something.

#12 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM

If you get a chance, watch the movie, Tapped.  It is on Netflix.  I don't think you will want to consume bottled water after you see it. It ia absolutely less safe than water from your spigot.  Check it out!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page