Ground beef questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yesterday I bought about 8 lbs of ground beef at the supermarket (it was BOGO for the large value packs) and I was thinking of cooking it all up now and then freezing it in meal sized portions. Does anyone else do this?

Also I know I've read about people cooking the meat in water and then draining it. Does this work well? Can I do it in the crockpot or should I do it on the stove? I liked the idea of this because then I could save the water for making stock next week when I get some bones and then it will already be flavored a bit from the meat. Also if I chill it I can take the fat off and store it for cooking.
Could someone give me a detailed explanation of how they cook ground beef in water?

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#2 of 4 Old 10-29-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't cook mine in water, but I do frequently buy large amounts on sale to cook and freeze.

I usually cook a lot in taco seasoning and freeze that in one-pound portions. I can use that for tacos, enchiladas, taco salads, or taco soup.

Some I make into mini-meatloaves and freeze raw, ready to be cooked. Same for meatballs.

Big batches of spaghetti sauce, frozen into ice cubes trays and then transferred to a ziploc-type bag, are nice too. They thaw quickly.

HTH.
#3 of 4 Old 11-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Yep, for most recipes you can boil it as long as it will end up well seasoned in the finished dish. Old catering trick for massive amounts of gb.
#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Be careful of what kind of ground beef you use. I know you didn't ask about this but if you are on this message board you likely would be interested in this story.

http://www.healthiertalk.com/retaile...ated-beef-1295

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page