how do you deal with halloween candy? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids regularly get over 100 pieces of candy. We don't let them keep it all.

They can eat a fair amount on Halloween night. Then they get to choose 20 pieces to keep.

We buy back the rest from them at 10 cents/piece. This year they made $7 each. I am more than happy to pay it. Dh takes it to work the next day.

When they were younger, the "Sugar Ghost" came for the candy and left a present. That only worked a year or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 11-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ds didn't go out this year - he had a hockey lesson (learn-to-skate) on sunday and was too pooped to go out....

we do have the halloween fairy come to collect all but 1 piece of candy, and she leaves a toy. funny, but ds now thinks that santa claus, the halloween fairy and the easter bunny are all the same fairy, just in different garb.

anyhow, for slightly older kids, one could go trick-or-treating for unicef or collect food for the local food bank...

i didn't give out candy this year, instead giving out little activity booklets and crafty things with stickers from Michaels'Hobby Lobby. the visiting kids loved them! "hey mom! you get STICKERS here!"

so.... we had a candy-free halloween...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#33 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
do other people's kids get over 100 pieces? cause my kids did and i think it would be insane to let them have access to all that! i offered a substantial amount of cash for candy and threw it in the garbage. some kids this is a good reward, some not. find the right reward and trade! even if only one piece is given a day, i think 1 piece of candy every. single. day for 120 days is a bit much.
I didn't count. Dd's pumpkin bucket was about two thirds of the way full I guess. She got a few non-candy items.
The candy was finished off this week.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#34 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 AM

i have tried over the last 16 years not to make any one food forbidden because it becomes an issue. so having a treat (like chocolate) in my house isn't a big deal so halloween has yet to be a big deal with any of my 5 children. they have a few pieces everyday until the "good stuff" is gone and they we throw the rest away. there is no pigging out, no constant thinking about it because it just isn't an issue.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#35 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
DD can eat a few pieces on Halloween and then can eat whatever she wants until it is gone (for the most part, like not right before dinner or in place of a meal). We did let her eat as much as she wanted twice when she was 5-6 years old (once at Halloween and once at a family movie night). She has learned for herself that too much candy at one time makes her feel AWFUL! At her current age, 9, I would not encourage that again for several reasons, but the two most important to me are 1) Her tolerance is higher now and I don't want to point that out to her; and 2) Binging can more easily become a habit-forming eating pattern now.
I take back my "...I would not encourage that again..." statement.

Yesterday, I offered DD a choice and she chose eating as much candy as she wanted and writing about it afterwards. (It was more about learning that writing isn't as bad as she has it made out to be in her head.) She ate five pieces and wrote an entire page about the experience in about ten minutes. She noticed exactly how her mood and body changed. She even wrote her own conclusion that she doesn't want to do that again.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#36 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
I didn't count. Dd's pumpkin bucket was about two thirds of the way full I guess. She got a few non-candy items.
The candy was finished off this week.
100 pieces was about 2 average pumpkin buckets full, id say. i didnt count either, but my kids are older and take pride in seeing who gets the most.
#37 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I take back my "...I would not encourage that again..." statement.

Yesterday, I offered DD a choice and she chose eating as much candy as she wanted and writing about it afterwards. (It was more about learning that writing isn't as bad as she has it made out to be in her head.) She ate five pieces and wrote an entire page about the experience in about ten minutes. She noticed exactly how her mood and body changed. She even wrote her own conclusion that she doesn't want to do that again.
That's pretty cool.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#38 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM

This was my first year and I didn't have a good plan. DD1 is four and so we didn't go to a lot of houses. I let them binge, even the baby. They ate it ALL- 20 pieces or so--that night. LOL!

I think I'll let them do it that way again and keep it in a candy bowl in the hall until it's gone.

I don't have any control when it comes to candy, so I don't expect them to, either, I guess. It's once a year.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#39 of 45 Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
They can eat whatever they want on Halloween night, and then they pretty much forget about it. Their buckets have been on top of the fridge since Halloween and they're still almost full. I think I've eaten more than they have!

Last year I dumped all the junky candy after it was ignored for a couple of weeks, then I chopped up all the good chocolates into small pieces and mixed them all up and put them in the freezer to use instead of chocolate chips in things like cookies, brownies, over ice cream, etc.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#40 of 45 Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM

Wow! I am surprised at how much of the stuff you all allow! I just think it's poison; especially the food coloring and artificial flavorings. Yuck!

Dd isn't even 4 yet, but we just trade her for candy from the food co-op -- good chocolate, fruit leathers, etc. I am always thrilled (and so is dd) when someone is handing out something other than candy. My favorite this year was play-doh.

I don't ever see myself telling her she can binge on candy.
#41 of 45 Old 11-07-2010, 01:35 AM

i'm confused as to why if you are so against them eating conventional candy even for one day do you take them out to get it and then say no you can't have it for even one day.
i know at least where we are there are LOADS of alternatives to taking kids door to door to get candy. they can still dress up and you can be in total control of what they get and how much. like churches have carnivals and malls do things and schools have fairs. heck i bet there was a notice at the health food store for a junk candy free evening of fun and games.
our homeschool group (all three we have belong to in the past also) has a fun sort of "fair" with games for the kids and a little costume parade most if not all give out organic and or natural candy or crayons etc.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#42 of 45 Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
Wow! I am surprised at how much of the stuff you all allow! I just think it's poison; especially the food coloring and artificial flavorings. Yuck!

Dd isn't even 4 yet, but we just trade her for candy from the food co-op -- good chocolate, fruit leathers, etc. I am always thrilled (and so is dd) when someone is handing out something other than candy. My favorite this year was play-doh.

I don't ever see myself telling her she can binge on candy.
just as a thought from the other side on this- i grew up being only allowed organic candy from the co-op, and i had many cavities and allergies. not that the co-op candy caused this, but i think there is a false sense of security in "organic/natural" sugary foods. fruit leather is a nice treat but still has sugar in it, not added but "natural" sugar. barley malt-sweetened chocolate from the co-op still turns to sugar in our bodies.
#43 of 45 Old 11-07-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
I limit the candy my kids can keep (see my post above) because it's junk food.

However, if I believed candy was poison, I would not allow my children to TOT. What a mixed message to send a child!
#44 of 45 Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM

mamaofthree -- There actually hasn't been an issue thus far. She gets to keep the non-candy things and trade for other treats. I haven't found any alternatives here where they don't hand out tons of candy, and there was no such notice at our local health food store. We live in a very rural area, though. When my kids are bigger, I may well choose to take them to the city (over an hour drive) for a very cool Halloween theatre event they have, but it's too far and too late for my little ones.

organicmidwestmama -- I actually didn't say that my concern was cavities or allergies. My concern is not the natural sugars that occur in fruits, but all of the crazy artificial and unpronounceable ingredients in conventional processed foods, including candy. I assure you that although I indulge in high quality, sugar sweetened chocolate that I have no false sense of security about how that might affect my dental and general health.

zinemama -- Our children receive "mixed messages" all the time no matter how clear we try to be, and we should give them credit for their intelligence, resilience and ability to learn and understand. My message to my children is not mixed. It is fun to engage in community activities, and we can still choose what to put into our bodies.
We are gluten-free and she can't eat pizza and birthday cake at birthday parties...do you think I should refuse to allow her to attend her friends' parties?
#45 of 45 Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
That's pretty cool.
Thanks! It was a pleasant surprise for me and DH to see she is still very much in touch with her body. The point I was aiming for was about writing and THAT part surprised HER! Win-win!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page