What is your family income? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your annual income as a family?
Less than $25,000 126 19.06%
$25,000-35,000 85 12.86%
$35,000-45,000 92 13.92%
$45,000-55,000 62 9.38%
$55,000-65,000 57 8.62%
$65,000-75,000 52 7.87%
$75,000-85,000 45 6.81%
$85,000-95,000 31 4.69%
over $95,000 111 16.79%
Voters: 661. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 12-03-2001, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this was asked before on the "old" boards, but Iwas thinking that wiht the new poll option more people would be willing to share this info, as you don't need to type a message-- just a quick vote.

So, ho much money does your family earn (a year)?
#2 of 81 Old 12-03-2001, 10:36 PM

Not enough!!!
#3 of 81 Old 12-04-2001, 01:29 AM

We were making $55,000/year includiing commissions but dh was laid off in October. I'd like to blame it on the recession but I just think his boss was not so smart. Now we are trying to start our own internet business. I am crossing my fingers that it'll work out. It is dh's dream. Mine too b/c I love and support him.
#4 of 81 Old 12-04-2001, 07:07 AM
pie

Our income is not high enough for our wealthy area. We wouldn't make this much money anywhere else but it's not enough to live here!:
#5 of 81 Old 12-04-2001, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gee, the results make a nice lil bell curve exceot for the one spike there near the middle. We are at around 63k, which sounded like a ton of money compared to my husbands Marine Corp pay, but that was before we came to Hawai'i. It's all expensive here, plus how much it costs to go home to see family.
#6 of 81 Old 12-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Are these amounts meant to indicate before taxes or after?

~Cynthia

#7 of 81 Old 12-05-2001, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kama'aina mama
Gee, the results make a nice lil bell curve exceot for the one spike there near the middle.
Er, when I looked at the curve it was an inverted bell with a spike in the middle. ?

While talking about money, my sis asked me what would be enough. It turned out to be a surprisingly large amount!

a

The anti-Ezzo king
#8 of 81 Old 12-05-2001, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I ment asking for before-tax amounts

Lol on the bell-shaped curve-- if it is bell-shaped-- it is SUPPOSED to have a spike in the middle. However, we don't have enough numbers to use any kind of statistical approximation yet

I guess I am a little surprized-- I was thinking that there would be a lot more people at the lower end, and fewer people at the higher end (we in the middle).
#9 of 81 Old 12-05-2001, 05:10 PM

We're doing pretty well now, but we live in NYC and have tons of student loans to pay off...after expenses life is a bit tight!! We will likely be moving to upstate NY next year so that should help the "after all expenses paid" amount.

Heck...while in grad school, I was on WIC and borrowed lots from in-laws to make ends meet!!! It can be done, but it's tough!! Problem is, the more you make, the more you spend!!!:

Cheers...Robyn
#10 of 81 Old 12-05-2001, 11:53 PM

We are poor--- : )
and expecting and surrounded by family and happy and healthy.
I'm so glad we found out about AP parenting because now I have the confidence that we can do it all with love and cloth diapers and a sling--we don't need money. We don't need hundreds of dollars for developmental toys and a matching crib and changing table.
V
#11 of 81 Old 12-07-2001, 06:07 PM

Our income is $40,000 a year and we have four children! (I'm a stay-at-home mother.) Although by typical American standards our income is low, we don't feel deprived. In fact, we live very comfortably. I've noticed that a lot of people think they NEED stuff that they actually don't (like a trip to Disney World or a brand new SUV every two years or enough Pop Tarts for each child to have his fill for a week) and then they groan about how they need more money. I'm always amused at those "How much it costs to raise a baby" articles in main-stream parenting mags. They take it for granted that every parent will need disposable diapers, formula, prepared baby food, day care, a crib, high contrast baby toys, educational software and lots of other junk.
#12 of 81 Old 12-07-2001, 07:02 PM

That curve is more like an inverted bell curve! Typically, there should be less wealthy and less poor people than middle class people. Weird huh?!?
#13 of 81 Old 12-11-2001, 05:52 PM

The results are surprising; one would expect greater numbers in the middle range, not at the end. And it is an inverted bell curve, trust me, I took lots of statistics in college!

We fall into the highest category, but like mamapie, I live in a pretty wealthy area, so it's all relative. We have one of the more modest homes in our area. Houses the size of mine sell for a third the price in other parts of the country.
#14 of 81 Old 12-11-2001, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

peacemama, it does look like a an inverted bell-shaped curve now It did not when I posted my previous response.
#15 of 81 Old 12-12-2001, 11:42 PM

We are way too poor college waifs right now!
We can't afford all the organic stuff. so I have avoided this board before now...but I am getting brave...gonna see what we can work out. Maybe if we eat less......
#16 of 81 Old 12-13-2001, 07:01 PM

We were making about 50K before DH was laid off in August. But as some people said, this isn't a lot in the area we live - right near Boston MA. I think I remember that the average cost of a house here is $250,000. Our tiny 100 year old house cost $113,000 and needed lots of work (only some of which has been done.) Our car's insurance is $135 month (for the minimum required by the state, both of us with spotless driving records) and we pay $1200/yr for gas to heat our tiny house (68 degrees in the daytime, 58 at night, after new windows and complete insulation jobs!)

It all depends on your perspective, I guess - where you live, cost of living there, weather, etc.
#17 of 81 Old 12-15-2001, 09:58 PM

Are we talking right now this minute- with me being out of a job- or are we talking what I pray it will be once I get a job LOL?!! Either way, it looks as though I'm on the low end of the scale. Oh well. At least natural parenting saves a little money...no formula to buy, no big ol' diaper expenses hidden every month in the grocery bill, no ready-made "baby food", no overused antibiotics......well, yeah, it's not so bad.

P.S. I too was wondering why this is in the Good Eating forum.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#18 of 81 Old 12-15-2001, 10:42 PM

I did post under the 25-35,000 because that is what we made last year. I was laid off in early Oct. and my husband was in early Nov. Everyone else in the area was laid off as well so there are no jobs out there to be found. unemployment is only about $1,000 a month and we are falling fast. I hope that the economy picks up - and quick. I doesn't make for much of a holiday. sorry for the sob story.
VioletPearl
#19 of 81 Old 12-16-2001, 12:47 AM

Oh VioletPearl, my thoughts are with you. That's very tough. I read a really sweet editorial today about having a tough financial time during the holidays and how parents get sad over it. It basically said that you're your child's favorite toy. Getting down in the floor for tickle matches, play wrestling, giving horsey rides, etc. is far more valuable and appreciate to and by a child than a bunch of presents under a tree could ever be.

Take heart that your child or children know you love them no matter what.
#20 of 81 Old 12-16-2001, 06:08 PM

Thank you, Joy - I have a son who just turned 1 in Nov and I am happy to report that his dad and I are his favorate toys.
much love, VioletPearl
#21 of 81 Old 12-18-2001, 05:46 AM

We are poor too, Violet. I am with you. Luckily we are surrounded by family and are involved in a good church where most people are wealthy and full of charity Being poor is not so bad. It can be stressful at times, yet it teaches us to be resourseful and creative and to live on love and not money. More money buys more stuff, which takes up more room in the home. Love buys more love, which has endless room in the heart.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

#22 of 81 Old 12-19-2001, 01:01 AM

Well said Lila. We've got lots of love and the basics are covered. What more do we really need??
#23 of 81 Old 12-27-2001, 06:09 PM

We went through a bad spell when my husband was out of work year before last, but this year was a real bell-ringer. All our resources were spent, our bills were up, and he got laid off three days after DD was born.

Still, it's been a super year. DH was able to stay home (albeit with huge stress due to finances) and get to know DD as an infant. I have learned so much about reducing, re-using and recycling everything. I have finally internalized the gift of gratefulness and the ability to gracefully receive from others. And our priorities (family, travel, goals) are rock solid.

Makes having money again seem so mundane!
#24 of 81 Old 12-30-2001, 02:37 AM

We are in the middle of this list-my income pays our health insurance & my life insurance & my mom to watch the dd & my AOL bill & the boys lunch money.(part time only)
My husband is self employed so we have to pay taxes out of this amount also.His income pays the major stuff.

::
momma to 4
#25 of 81 Old 01-17-2002, 02:19 PM

my vote was a BEFORE tax vote... it's a MUCH different figure once our checks hit the bank -- much lower.

also, my rent is VERY HIGH. i know various people who make less than i do, and pay less in rent -- we end up with the same amount of "spending" money.

anyway... it's NEVER enough, is it??! i mean, it's money or time... if you make loads of money at your job, you MOST LIKELY don't have a lot of time for your family. i'm sure there's exceptions to this rule, yet not many.

*sigh*

#26 of 81 Old 01-19-2002, 09:39 AM

poor in the wallet, rich in the heart

My SIL & BIL make 8x what we do and have put themselves in such a financial bind with their overly expensive house and cars, they have little time for the kids. It's sad. We rent, we buy used cars, or take over old ones from the in-laws . I keep telling myself that the foodstamps are my paycheck for staying home. We are lucky to live in an area where the cost of living is really low--I sympathize with those who don't--our 4br house only costs us $475/mo. with a 30x60 ft backyard for the 3ds.

And yeah--what's up with the expensive cans of tomatoes!?!
#27 of 81 Old 01-21-2002, 04:31 PM

"I'd rather spend time than money" what my dh says each time i freak about the money. He's right. I wish I were rich in time, rather than in money. There is never enough of each. Even tho on 35k we are not making ends meet, but yet have opted to have dh stay home with ds (I make more and like my job better-at a science museum) rather than having us both work and pay somebody else raise ds. You just have to decide what your priorities are.
#28 of 81 Old 01-30-2002, 12:36 PM
kel

Yeah, a poll on income is hard to give an accurate picture, as people live in different areas where things are higher or lower in cost, different family sizes, etc. We have 3 kids and only my dh works; we're around $25,000, which really just isn't enough!! - bills are always behind, etc. etc. As far as food though - I still manage to buy organic, rennet free, non GM, free range, etc. much of the time because its important to me. Food is pretty much where we spend a little extra.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#29 of 81 Old 01-30-2002, 01:39 PM

Hello, I selected 35,000-45,000 but we barely squeak into that bracket before taxes. I think the bell curve may reflect the economic inequality built into American society. There are lot of people living on too little, and some who have more than they need, and the middle class is shrinking.

My husband and I have crept out of poverty - it's been a long, rough road - and I feel very lucky to have kitchen cupboards full of food, mittens on the kids, petfood for the cats, no harrassing calls from bill collectors, and $27 leftover until payday. We haven't always been so fortunate.

Many people in the U.S. are attempting to live and raise families on the so-called "minimum wage" which basically means you work and work for subsistence, and rarely enjoy having everything you need to live. I think it's important that those of us who are more fortunate keep the needy in mind.

To me, as a stay-at-home parent, as long as the bills don't outpace our income, it is a wonderful thing to be able to have the time to nurture my family. I can play guitar or do some sewing, get online, or read a book to the kids, or whatever. Time is precious, more precious than money, but only if you have enough money to meet your needs.

I feel sad that so many familes put the priority solely on work, leaving the children unattended and unsupervised, unmentored. I think that the young generation is suffering badly from parental inattention. Many people, both mothers and fathers, are working long hours just to be able to afford to live. This is the age of drop-offs, latch key kids, and school as daycare. It's a shame . The "bell curve" is unfair.

Regards,
Zelda
http://www.geocities.com/zeldaanslinger/
#30 of 81 Old 03-14-2002, 06:53 PM

The highest percentages go to the two lowest amounts and the one highest. Just one question, where do the familys that make less that $20,000 a year vote?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page