let's talk about soymilk. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

would you feed it to your kid? turns out that me and DDs might be dairy intolerant. so WIC says they would buy soymilk. do you feel it is a good substitute? are there side effects?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM

This is one of those things where opinions are strong on both sides.

That being said, it is something i would never feed my child.

Dairy is not necessary, if you're intolerant, its easy enough to do without, you wont starve. If you need a sub for a recipe, coconut, hemp or almond would all work and be better choices. But for a child over 2, i wouldnt be worried about having them drink milk, its just not necessary. Most kids who are developing normally would be better off learning to drink water.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Not a regular basis, no, I would not. We do eat some soy (mostly tamari and occasionally tofu), but its not something I'd ever want to make a mainstay of my diet, personally. If you can't drink milk, oh well, you'll find other things to eat and drink... no need (IMHO) to replace it with fake soy stuff...

#4 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 PM

I do. But only organic.

#5 of 21 Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM

DS has had organic, plain soymilk since weaning. We use soy in moderation but it is definitely a staple around here.

We also use almond, rice and hemp milks to mix things up.

If you choose to drink soy milk, make sure it is organic. Whole Foods brand, Earth Balance, and Eden soy are my favorite brands to choose from.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#6 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you try it, be on the lookout for reactions.  Soy and cow's milk are very cross-reactive.  Took me ages to realize DS is intolerant of soy because he tolerates a lot more soy than dairy and since we don't consume much, it took a while to notice, plus the reaction was totally different. 

#7 of 21 Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

If you try it, be on the lookout for reactions.  Soy and cow's milk are very cross-reactive.  Took me ages to realize DS is intolerant of soy because he tolerates a lot more soy than dairy and since we don't consume much, it took a while to notice, plus the reaction was totally different. 

what kind of reaction to it did you notice? i am sure my kids are dairy intolerant. DD2 gets a rash every time i eat cheese...

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#8 of 21 Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM

i'm wondering what kind of reaction your DD has had?  if it was GI related (gas, bloating, cramps, etc) then she might be fine on raw milk.  I have always had major issues digesting pasteurized, homogenized milk and generally avoided it like the plague my whole life.  then i started getting raw milk for my family and decided to give it a try, and lo and behold, i tolerate it wonderfully.  in fact, recently when i had to stop drinking it a while because our friend's cow was about to calve and thus there was no milk to be had, i got a horrid cold/flu thing and was sicker than i had been in at least 5 years.  i theorize that it was the lack of probiotics and enzymes, that had  been keeping my gut (and thus me) so healthy.

i personally would not regularly give my kids (or myself) processed soy of any kind.  we eat soy food only if it's traditional fermented soy or edamame, and even that is in small amounts.  i don't think soy is meant to be processed like that, and the estrogenic properties also worry me.  if i could not do raw milk, i would probably do coconut milk or hemp milk though probably not big glasses of it as a beverage, but in place of milk in recipes, a splash in tea or coffee, etc.

as others have said, it's not necessary.  there are plenty of other ways to get the calcium, vitamin D, etc. from other foods.

#9 of 21 Old 11-13-2010, 12:57 PM

I avoid it because of thyroid issues. 

#10 of 21 Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 PM

no. imo it is gross. no one in our family can handle dairy so we use subs (like pp stated, coconut milk, almond, hemp) if i need it for a recipe. but honestly my kids are still nursing and i am not worried about them needing to drink milk. water is just fine.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#11 of 21 Old 11-13-2010, 09:08 PM

DS vomited when he drank milk, now that he's older he doesn't vomit so it stays in him and causes hyperactivity and a week of diarrhea.  For soy, he got a rash around his mouth and a really painful red rash on his bottom--no behavioral impact and strangely no diarrhea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

what kind of reaction to it did you notice? i am sure my kids are dairy intolerant. DD2 gets a rash every time i eat cheese...

#12 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM

My dairy intolerant 4 year old can't handle soy milk.  As alot of dairy intolerant kids can't.

I wouldn't use it regularly anyways.  My kid drinks rice milk with meals and I use a few other subs to cook with.

#13 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

i really like almond milk. so i guess i should stick with that and rice milk. i was hoping there would be another alternative bc we get tired of the same thing all the time. i have been pushing water and always having it available.

#14 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Do you want different, interesting beverages, or does it have to be like milk?  I make peppermint tea regularly, I've made decaf black sometimes too just for a change of pace, hot cocoa with coconut milk for fats and just the comfortable familiarity of hot cocoa, the kids enjoy nettles infusions as well--shocked me, but my daughter especially likes them and I like them because some herbal infusions are a nice source of easily absorbable minerals.  Nettles with some peppermint is surprisingly nice. 

And strangely, I tend to need more salt than I remember to put on food (food intolerances :shrug we make more from scratch than I used to, so less sodium from processed foods) and sometimes water doesn't taste good because I actually need more salt.  We use a good salt and I enjoy plain water more when I've been getting enough salt--just throwing it out there in case it's a possibility.

LionessMom likes this.
#15 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 AM

Dairy makes me congested, so I use almond milk or rice milk.  I won't do soy because I'm not convinced it's safe, especially not for developing babies and toddlers. I prefer traditional soy products in moderation, like tofu and tamari.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#16 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

so does soy milk contain phytoestrogens (i think that is what they are called)?

and thanks PP for those ideas about other beverages!

#17 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes, it does. Now, there's a great deal of controversy as to whether phytoestrogens are beneficial, benign, or dangerous. Most of the peer-reviewed data comes down on the benign-to-beneficial side of the argument, when the soy is consumed in a food form like tofu or soymilk as opposed to a processed supplement.

To the poster above who was saying that they only eat tofu and never soymilk, you do realize that tofu is made from soymilk, right?

I've seen little convincing evidence that soymilk is in any way dangerous, it is cheaper than any other plant milk, higher in protein, and I prefer the taste.

#18 of 21 Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

It does contain phytoestrogens, and phytates. I only eat traditionally fermented soy sauce as a condiment... deliberately, anyway. I do eat some packaged/takeout food, and I'm sure there's soy galore in that. But personally I don't/wouldn't feed it to DD, or drink it myself. I don't like how much it's processed, and I can't stand the taste!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#19 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 08:08 AM

That was me who said I eat tofu but not soy milk. I understand that tofu is made from soy milk but I don't have tofu several times a day every day. I don't think it's safe in the quantity and frequency that people normally consume milk, you know?  

mamadelbosque likes this.

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#20 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM

There's also some controversy as to the dangers of phytates, and evidence that phytic acid may help regulate blood sugar and prevent some cancers. 

#21 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

well icant drink it now anyway. i bought some to try. both vanilla and chocolate. we really liked how it tasted but... it caused DD1's belly to bloat, i threw it up and DD2 got diarrhea. i had also eaten a piece of cheese that day. to test symptoms. i had forgotten and then wanted to test soy. so i tried it again after DD2's rash cleared up. and she got diarrhea again. so on to round 2 for DD2 running around naked.

so i will try out other beverages as suggested by a pp.

thanks everybody for your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page