Healthy homemade/from scratch Desserts/sweets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-12-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am looking for recipes for treats and desserts that are healthy. When I say healthy I do not mean low fat. I like to use whole foods. I prefer dairy free or substitutions for dairy (mostly because organic dairy is too expensive for us). I am not opposed to using almond milk in recipes. I use raw local honey instead of sugar. If something calls for peanut butter or something processed, I make it myself. Do you see where I am coming from? I like to start with whole foods and control how they are "processed". So does anyone have any great recipes for pies, cookies, breads, treats etc. I am trying to decide on things to make for the holidays.

Feel free to share any great substitutions you have found.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#3 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm w the pp... Virtually any dessert recipe that doesnt start w cool whip you can make from scratch w a little know-how and extra effort. Even the ones that start w graham cracker crumbs or jello.

Typically, if i'm looking for a new recipe to try, i check out epicurious or any one of a handful of blogs i like. Pies are easy w butter or lard for the crust, i use instant tapioca as the thickener for fruit, and just enough sugar to sweeten (date sugar is a better option than honey for fruit pies). Cakes i tend to avoid because the white flour/white sugar combo is fairly crucial for proper texture. Cheesecakes i do make, honey is an easy sub there. Cookies, you're best looking for a recipe you like, again, subs mess w the texture, but sucanat is easily subbed for brown sugar in the right recipe (like a molasses cookie). Ice cream is popular here, whether its dairy, coconut milk or fruit based. I use honey or maple in my ice creams. We eat a lot of custards here, because i'm big on the protein component, and those are easily sweetened w anything.

But, all that being said, desserts are a treat here. We might eat it once a week or when we have company. During the hottest days of summer we go a bit heavy on the ice cream, but we dont have that many hot days, thankfully. I can only do so much to make dessert "healthier", and just work on limiting myself.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 PM

desserts are a very rare treat here, usually dessert is fruit and/or cheese, or cream, or peanut butter and coconut butter and raisins, or most often, nothing.  (dp has fruit after dinner many nights, I rarely do)

I just found a super awesome recipe for chocolate wafers that I adapted no problem.  I'm going to make them into an icebox cake for a special occasion.  http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/wafer-wonderland/   

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/03/homemade-chocolate-wafers-icebox-cupcakes/

I subbed whole wheat pastry flour and coconut palm sugar (unrefined).  I don't delude myself that it's healthy,  it's still full of sugar but for a celebratory treat, it's not bad.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#5 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It sounds like we cook very similarly!

My favorite this time of year is pumpkin bars.

1/2 c. oil

1/3 c. honey

2 eggs

1 c. + 2 T whole wheat flour (I grind my own)

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 c. pumpkin puree

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1 T pumpkin pie spice

Combine all and pour into a greased 9 x 13.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

I top them with cream cheese frosting.

1 stick butter

8 oz. cream cheese

1/4 c. honey or maple syrup

1 tsp. cinnamon (opt.)

1 tsp. vanilla

Another favorite is baked custard

1 can coconut milk

1/4 c. honey

4 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. sea salt

Beat all with mixer until well blended.  Pour into custard cups or medium dish that fits inside a 9 x 13 that has been half-filled with water.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.  Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until a knife in the center comes out clean.  Serve warm or chilled.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page