Looking for fun holiday quick bread recipes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We make lots of quick breads in this house, but I have to confess we don't stray much (or haven't strayed much) from the Core 4: banana bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, and cranberry-orange bread. I'm looking for some fun new recipes to try, especially for the holidays since we're expecting lots of visitors and whole-wheat, low-sugar quick breads are my favorite brunch/dessert/kaffeeklatsch kind of item to have in the freezer in preparation for the festivities. What favorites do you have that you think we should try?

Thanks mamas!

#2 of 37 Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My favourite quick bread for the holidays is lemon loaf. I like the lighter, fresh citrus flavour after all the dense, rich treats like chocolate, mincemeat and fruitcakes. I enjoy all those heavier treats too, but a delicious slice of lemon loaf is a refreshing change. 

This recipe uses 2 lemons and it isn't low sugar, but you could adjust: 

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1/2 cup butter

1 to 2 Tbsp. grated lemon rind

2 Tbsp. lemon juice 

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan. 

Sift flour and other dry ingredients together into medium bowl. 

In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy with electric mixer. Beat in sugar until pale in colour (1 to 2 min.). Beat in 2 Tbsp. lemon juice. Don't worry if mixture looks curdled. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. 

Gradually beat in one-third of flour mixture, then half of the milk. Repeat, ending with remaining flour. Beat just until blended.

Place in loaf pan.

Bake 60 to 75 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes. 

Glaze

1/4 cup sugar

2 to 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Mix sugar and lemon juice together until sugar is dissolved. 

Drizzle glaze over top of loaf while still in the pan. Cool completely and remove from pan. 

#3 of 37 Old 11-13-2010, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh - this one looks really nice. I think I will just reduce the sugar (since it's getting a glaze anyway) and try it this weekend! I agree that something lemony is a nice alternative after lots of heavier fare.

Thanks! 

#4 of 37 Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 PM

I just made this and I was rather sceptical, but it's quite yummy, not a ton of flavor, but it's nice.  So if you like a more flavorful bread, I'd add a bit more cinnamon and maybe a bit of nutmeg or cloves.  It does specify to make it into muffins though, I made some jumbo muffins and they did just fine so it may work as a bread too.....   I'm also watching because I *love* quick breads and I want some more variety to go in the freezer for when the baby comes!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#5 of 37 Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Are you interested in savory breads too? I don't have a recipe, just an idea- how about olive bread? You could do it with olives and rosemary or olives and sun-dried tomatoes.

#6 of 37 Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM

My very favorite holiday bread is cranberry-orange, but you're already doing that one!

One year, I made cherry-chocolate chip; it was fantastic!!  I just used a basic quick bread base (which, I'm guessing you have) & added frozen sweet cherries & chocolate chips - yummy!  Add some almond extract to bring out the cherry flavor.

Other ideas:

cranberry pecan

cherry almond

date nut

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#7 of 37 Old 11-14-2010, 04:56 PM

I'll second the date nut bread, it is awesome cold spread with a little cream cheese.  Or what about raisin bread, applesauce bread, or cinnamon swirl bread? All tasty options.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#8 of 37 Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuglyRoo View Post

I'll second the date nut bread, it is awesome cold spread with a little cream cheese.  Or what about raisin bread, applesauce bread, or cinnamon swirl bread? All tasty options.

Ok, so I know this sounds lame, but I actually *don't* have a quick bread base that I use, since all 4 of my go-to recipes are pretty different. Soooo - recipes?! I already make anadama bread, but a raisin or cinnamon swirl quick bread sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post

Are you interested in savory breads too? I don't have a recipe, just an idea- how about olive bread? You could do it with olives and rosemary or olives and sun-dried tomatoes.

Cool idea! Anyone ever tried doing this?

#9 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 AM

I got the idea from a friend who made an olive bread that was really delicious.  I don't have her recipe, but it would be hard for you to use anyway because it's all metric. And, um, not in English. But I just discovered that there's an olive quick bread recipe in the Joy of Cooking. If you don't have that cookbook, I could post the ingredients for you, if you're interested.

#10 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 07:31 AM

MMMMM our fav. is sweet potato cranberry bread.  I can post it if you wish.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#11 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Yes, yes yes! DS would LOOOOOOVE that one. winky.gif

#12 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got the idea from a friend who made an olive bread that was really delicious.  I don't have her recipe, but it would be hard for you to use anyway because it's all metric. And, um, not in English. But I just discovered that there's an olive quick bread recipe in the Joy of Cooking. If you don't have that cookbook, I could post the ingredients for you, if you're interested.

That would be lovely! And actually, I don't mind "all in metric" as I've translated those before, but the "not in English" part could be problematic (LOL!) I've never thought about savory quick breads beyond, say, cornbread with veggies or hot peppers or cheese added...but this is opening up whole new idea zones for me. Like, we have a bakery nearby that makes this killer rosemary olive (yeast) bread, but at $6 a loaf it's an occasional treat. If I had a quick bread version it would be fun to make for an hors d'oeuvres party, or to have in the freezer to pull out and have with a quick soup supper...thanks for offering!

#13 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Confetti bread is really good too.  Basically a zucchini bread that you add shredded carrots and summer squash in addition to the zucchini. So pretty!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#14 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Out of season, but these really are to die for.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#15 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes Please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#16 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM

You've inspired me!  After writing about date nut bread I realized I've never made it myself and so I fixed that today since I had dates on hand.  It turned out excellent, I have the recipe here.  I never thought of savory quick breads before either, I may have to start doing some experimenting.  eat.gif

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
#17 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 PM

"Mediterranean Olive Bread" from the Joy of Cooking

Whisk together:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup whole-wheat flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. dried rosemary or 1 tsp. chopped fresh

1/2 tsp. salt

Whisk together in another bowl:

2 large eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup olive oil

Add the flour mixture and mix just until moistened. Fold in:

1/3 cups finely chopped walnuts

1/3 cup pitted olives

Bake in a 6-cup loaf pan at 350F for 40-45 mins.

I think it sounds pretty good, though I'd probably add some cheese, but I'm a cheese fiend. shy.gif

#18 of 37 Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

My mom makes a cranberry cheddar bread that she gives out for Christmas presents every year.  I can get the recipe if you're interested.  She also makes a banana bread with coffee and tons of chocolate chips that's to die for.  It's actually the thing I always make when I cook for new moms.  yummy.gif

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#19 of 37 Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGirl View Post

My mom makes a cranberry cheddar bread that she gives out for Christmas presents every year.  I can get the recipe if you're interested.  She also makes a banana bread with coffee and tons of chocolate chips that's to die for.  It's actually the thing I always make when I cook for new moms.  yummy.gif

Yessss!!!! I rearranged our freezer last night to fit a few more things in and found to my surprise that we have like 16 frozen bananas in there waiting to be transformed into something yummy - and I love the idea of coffee and choc chips in the loaf. How very grown-up sounding winky.gif

Quote:

"Mediterranean Olive Bread" from the Joy of Cooking

Whisk together:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup whole-wheat flour

2 1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. dried rosemary or 1 tsp. chopped fresh

1/2 tsp. salt

Whisk together in another bowl:

2 large eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup olive oil

Add the flour mixture and mix just until moistened. Fold in:

1/3 cups finely chopped walnuts

1/3 cup pitted olives

Bake in a 6-cup loaf pan at 350F for 40-45 mins.

I think it sounds pretty good, though I'd probably add some cheese, but I'm a cheese fiend. shy.gif

This DOES Look fabulous! yummy.gif We have 14 people (yes, I'm crazy) staying with us over the holiday long weekend and I'm already thinking I'll have to get some of these into the freezer in preparation for that extravaganza!

#20 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:

I do a Cranberry Almond Loaf -- but would love to try it with cheddar --- post the recepie wave.gif

#21 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Pumpkin Bread?  I don't have a recipe anymore :(  But it was sooooo good.  Dressed up as a dessert with a glaze or else just eaten plain for a snack. 

I have some old bananas on the counter, I think it's about time for some banana bread - thanks for the reminder.

Mama to three

#22 of 37 Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM

What about a loaf of gingerbread? This is a fav in our house. Or zucchini bread but instead of zucchini do carrots/apples/golden raisins.

great site...

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/quick-breads?Ns=recipe_mostpopular|1

#23 of 37 Old 11-18-2010, 12:29 PM

It is VERY grown up.  winky.gif  And 16 frozen bananas, sounds like you need to get baking, lady!

Here's the recipe--I only have it written out for muffins, but it's the same for a bread.  I think you have to bake it for something like 45 minutes though.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

2 1/2  tsp instant coffee granules

1 tbls hot water

1 c softened butter

5/8 c sugar

5/8 c dry milk (Mom uses that to cut down on the sugar and add protein, if you don't want to do that just use white sugar instead)

1 egg

1 1/3 c mashed ripe bananas

1 1/2 c oat flour (I just grind up oats in the food processor)

1 c white flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 c (or more!!!) choc chips

Dissolve the coffee in the hot water.  Cream the butter, sugar, dry milk, and egg.  Add bananas and coffee. Mix the dry stuff together and add it to the wet stuff. Don’t over beat, just enough to get everything wet.

Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 ~ 25 min.  Check with toothpick test.

You can increase the banana for up to half the butter.  Or use applesauce if you run low on bananas, but you’ll need more sugar.

Makes ~18 muffins

And I'll ask my mom for the cranberry cheddar bread recipe tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryliz View Post

Yessss!!!! I rearranged our freezer last night to fit a few more things in and found to my surprise that we have like 16 frozen bananas in there waiting to be transformed into something yummy - and I love the idea of coffee and choc chips in the loaf. How very grown-up sounding winky.gif

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#24 of 37 Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 PM

My mom laughed at me when I asked her for the recipe and said it's straight out of Betty Crocker.  lol.gif  I found a link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Leaf View Post

Quote:

I do a Cranberry Almond Loaf -- but would love to try it with cheddar --- post the recepie wave.gif

#25 of 37 Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Thank you :-)

#26 of 37 Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

I have a few I love. Let me know which ones you're interested in and I'll post the recipe:

Squash tea bread (butternut or acorn)

Cardamom tea bread

Classic cornbread

Orange cinnamon bread

#27 of 37 Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Oooh the orange cinnamon bread!!!

#28 of 37 Old 11-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post

I have a few I love. Let me know which ones you're interested in and I'll post the recipe:

Squash tea bread (butternut or acorn)

Cardamom tea bread

Classic cornbread

Orange cinnamon bread

The Cardamom tea bread sounds lovely. I'd be grateful for that recipe, if you have the time to post. Thanks!! 

#29 of 37 Old 11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

Blargh! The orange cinnamon bread is a regular yeast bread recipe. Still completely wonderful, but not a quick bread.

I do have an orange poppyseed and an orange gingerbread quick bread, now that I look.

Here is the cardamom tea bread:

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3 large eggs

1/4 c buttermilk

1 T vanilla extract

1 cup sour cream

3/4 cup sugar

2 1/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour

2 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

2 1/2 t ground cardamom

1/2 t salt

This is a bread machine recipe (use the quick bread or batter bread cycle), but you could do it by hand too. I think mix wet, cream with the sugar, mix dry. Fold together. Bake 350 for 60-75min or until cake tester comes out clean. I'd go for an 8x4 rather than 9x5 so you get a taller loaf.

Here's the Squash Tea Bread (OMG this one is amazing!).

Okay, so which orange one does everyone want?

#30 of 37 Old 11-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

subbing - these recipes look great!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page