100-200 7 15.56%
200+ 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do love cookbooks but I must say I find most of my recipes online nowadays. Vegetarian Times and AllRecipes are my main favorites lately. :)  (We're not vegetarian, but trying to be more so...and really trying to stay more and more away from processed food, which means lots more cooking!  Thanks goodness for Canadian year-long mat leave :)

"But if I knew everything, there would be no wonder, for what I believe in is far more than what I know." ~ Madeleine L'Engle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 PM

I have around 30-40 although I recently overhauled my collection and got rid of about 20  that I don't use (mostly ones gifted by well-meaning relatives).  I was vegetarian dairy-free for 11 years so most of my books reflect that.  Since the birth of my son in Oct. 2010 I have re-introduced meat into my diet and cut out gluten.  This really threw me for a loop trying to find cookbooks and recipes that accommodated these new changes.  I have been getting a lot of great ones off of glutenfreegoddess.com but I prefer books over the internet.  Has anyone found good books for meat-lovers?  How about ones for slow-cooking/crockpots?  All I seem to find use a lot of processed ingredients and the "healthy" one focus on being low-fat (not my definition of healthy eating).  Also, I am looking for some gluten-free cookbook recc's.

Here are the goto books in my collection:  

Passionate Vegetarian - Crescent Dragonwagon (my first and all-time favorite)

Vegan Planet - Robin Robertson (also fabulous)

La Dolce Vegan, Garden of Vegan - Sarah Kramer (fun stuff)

Rachel Ray 30 minute Get Real Meals - (her recipes rock my tastebuds)

The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook - Cathe Olson

Simply in Season - Lind and Hockman-Wert

Some Mennonite and Amish cookbooks (great country cooking comfort food)

Deceptively Delicious - Jessica Seinfeld (I love browsing it but have to created anything yet)

Lastly, I agree cookbooks are entertaining reading and sources of great inspiration for us foodies.  There is so much more to them than just the recipes.  have you ever read the forward, get to know the author and reading through becomes like taking a stroll with a good friend.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 PM

6-10, but I only open about 3, so the other ones are getting gifted this Christmas :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
Old 12-07-2010, 04:52 PM

maybe 4

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 PM

I voted in the 11-15 group. We live in an apartment and space is money! That being said I don't have as many as I would like. There are a number that I wish for, including "The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook" which is constantly wait listed at the library right now (all those people wanting to save $ by baking bread, grr!). I read cookbooks for entertainment, inspiration and recipes. All of the books I have, I use, except one. If I only use a recipe or two out of a book then I copy those recipes onto large note cards and store them in my recipe box. The one exception is an old church cookbook that my grandma gave me. There is only one recipe in there that I use, but the book was hers and she passed away this year so that book stays.

On the subject of the internet, I don't print recipes from online because I ALWAYS end up needing to make changes. Rarely do I find a really solid recipe that I don't alter. I copy down all online recipes to index cards and if I don't like it, well then I've not wasted much paper. If I like it then I file it in my box. I don't trust the web for recipes typically, and it isn't convenient for me to quickly look things up when I have a question. It's easier to pull out my trusty Martha Stewart, BGH, or NT.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 AM

I voted 16-20, BUT...I didn't count the 100 or more back issues of cooking magazines that I keep and use as cookbooks as well(like Cooking Club of America and Food Network, they're practically cookbooks in themselves). 16-20 is just what I have for full-on cookbooks, I actually downsized my collection in the last year.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

OP here, I too like the web for recipes... but quite frankly, If I'm just looking for something new to try I'd much rather page through a cookbook than try to sort through millions of recipes online, many of which are duplicates, or include crap that I refuse to use (ie cake mixes, cans of soup, etc), or just plain sound awful... Maybe its just cause' we don't have high-speed internet, IDK. I do like the web if I'm looking for a specific recipe  (ie, General Tsos' Chicken, Chicken parmesan, baked alaska, etc), cause' then I can search for that *ONE* recipe and find one I like. But just to sort through when I don't really know what I"m looking for? Takes way too long. :shrug

Old 12-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post

OP here, I too like the web for recipes... but quite frankly, If I'm just looking for something new to try I'd much rather page through a cookbook than try to sort through millions of recipes online, many of which are duplicates, or include crap that I refuse to use (ie cake mixes, cans of soup, etc), or just plain sound awful... Maybe its just cause' we don't have high-speed internet, IDK. I do like the web if I'm looking for a specific recipe  (ie, General Tsos' Chicken, Chicken parmesan, baked alaska, etc), cause' then I can search for that *ONE* recipe and find one I like. But just to sort through when I don't really know what I"m looking for? Takes way too long. :shrug

I find the same thing with recipes from the web, although there are a couple of reliable blogs and sites that I like. I tend to search them first, and then do a wider search if I don't find something or want more inspiration. I've used Epicurious.com as a resource for years, because I find the "comments" attached to recipes are usually very helpful. A lot of people have already tweaked the recipe, and it gives me a fairly useful guideline for trying it myself. 

But yeah, my go-to for a new recipe is to search my cookbooks, magazines and clippings first for inspiration. Particularly since my cookbooks are already aligned with my preferences eg. fresh ingredients, regional or ethnic specialties, clarity of instructions, suggested variations or substitutions etc. 

User Tag List