Holiday ham, what sides? - Mothering Forums
Nutrition and Good Eating > Holiday ham, what sides?
Ellp's Avatar Ellp 11:14 PM 12-01-2010

So I volunteered to have Christmas dinner at my place and at last count there were 13 adults and 2 kids to feed.  I have a 6lb ham (Is that enough??!) that I was going to put a marmalade glaze on.  I'll also have an English triffle for dessert.

What else should I make?  At this point I'm stuck as I have no ideas. 

Can't make anything with nuts (Dd is allergic), not big on the potatoes, and no one except the older folks like brussel sprouts.  Ideas? 

Oh, and did I mention that the dinner is in mid-Dec, to accomodate everyone's schedules?  Thats almost 2 weeks away, and I'm already biting my fingernails....help!

SpuglyRoo's Avatar SpuglyRoo 06:43 AM 12-02-2010

If the ham has a bone, count on 2-3 servings per pound.
If the ham is boneless, you’ll get about 4-5 servings per pound.

What about any combination of the following:

Green Salad

creamed spinach,

twice baked potatoes

scalloped/au gratin potatoes

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Baked Beans

Roasted veggies (carrots, parsnips, squash, red onions)

Green Beans Almandine

Baked Apples

Biscuits/Rolls

Cole Slaw/Potato Salad

Roast Asparagus

Hmm, I think I'm hungry

HollyBearsMom's Avatar HollyBearsMom 07:17 AM 12-02-2010

I serve ham for New Years each year and this is my menu:

Honey glazed Ham

potato salad (you could sub pasta salad?)

ginger glazed carrots

minted peas

yeast rolls

big mixed green salad

thought I served this salad fro T-day this year and it was a HUGE hit. Would be gret with ham.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2010/11/17/endive_fennel_and_watercress_salad/

I always put out condiments like mayo, a variety of mustards, etc in case some people want to turn their rolls in ham sanwiches. eat.gif

Alyantavid's Avatar Alyantavid 07:21 AM 12-02-2010

I love scalloped potatoes with ham.  And roasted asparagus, rolls.  I'd lean toward something starchy with a ham, maybe macaroni and cheese?

crunchy_mama's Avatar crunchy_mama 07:28 AM 12-02-2010

I would do green beans and a sweet potato dish.

KristyDi's Avatar KristyDi 08:16 AM 12-02-2010

I like anything cheesy with ham.  Mac and Cheese or Scalloped Potatoes are good.

I also like Sweet Potatoes, either baked and served with butter and cinnamon sugar or a casserole.

Then add something green.  I'd go with green beans or broccoli personally.  Both are good steamed or sauteed if you can cook them right before serving.  Or if you want to prepare in advance they both work well in casseroles.

ollyoxenfree's Avatar ollyoxenfree 11:00 AM 12-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

I would do green beans and a sweet potato dish.

LOL, that's exactly what I was going to suggest. Green beans with sliced almonds and roasted sweet potatoes with a little cinnamon or nutmeg. 

mumkimum's Avatar mumkimum 11:11 AM 12-02-2010

Dh will be doing ham for xmas - I'm planning on double twice stuffed potatoes (has regular and sweet potatoes mashed together) and carrots w/ brussel sprouts, not that that fits what you're looking for. 

I've also thought about a broccoli gratin.

Creamed spinach is also really good with ham.  I think creamed corn or a corn spoon bread would pair well also, as would roasted pears & onions.

Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 07:09 AM 12-04-2010

At my house ham must be serve with biscuits LOL everything else is optional.

Megan73's Avatar Megan73 11:31 AM 12-14-2010

I serve a ham buffet every Christmas Eve - always bone-in and I figure two servings a pound.

The sides are always the same - scalloped potatoes (one with sauteed mushrooms and one without), a goat cheese and spinach pie for the vegetarians, a giant salad, bread and rolls, a selection (hard, soft, blue etc.) cheeses, different kinds of mustard then cookies, christmas cake and one big dessert, say a trifle.

If you don't like potatoes, I'd do a big macaroni and cheese or wild rice pilaf.

plantnerd's Avatar plantnerd 06:47 AM 12-15-2010

Scalloped potatoes or baked mac n cheese

baked whole sweet potatoes

wilted greens with bacon and balsamic vinegar

Tags: Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating
Up