What to make with LOTS and LOTS of cream? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My grocery store must have been way overstocked for Thanksgiving, because the other day they had cream that was almost to the sell-by date clearanced out to $.15 for 8oz containers!  Plus 16oz half and half for $.16.  It's just regular grocery store brand unfortunately, but at that price I couldn't pass it up.  So far I have made two batches of ice cream, about 162oz worth of half and half yogurt (delicious and creamy in smoothies, or for dessert) and have two large jars of creme fraiche started on my counter.  Any other ideas on ways to prepare the cream to extend its life?  Or recipes that would help me use all the finished products?  I have probably a gallon-ish of cream left.

#2 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 08:57 AM

You could make alfredo sauce to have with pasta for dinner. A nice pie with whipped cream on top, homemade butter.

#3 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, you gave me a good idea for lunch, as well as intrigued me with the idea of butter.  I am in the midst of some heavy duty googling now.

#4 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 02:19 PM

If you have kids, butter is SO much fun to make.  Just put the cream in a well-sealed mason jar and start shaking.  Depending on how much and hard you shake it, you have butter in about 30 minutes or longer.  Kids LOVE making butter.  One the butter separates and solidifies, just salt it a little if you want and then... the fun part... shape it or spread it into a mold before refrigerating.  The buttermilk left over can be cultured, if you are into that (and it sounds like you are) or you can just add it to soups for a little flavor.

#5 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update with my success story... I mixed up my very own batch of butter in the KitchenAid!  So easy.  I don't think my babe would be old enough to get into it yet, but I don't see the end of my butter making career any time soon :)  I was starting to wonder if I'd be able to use up all the cream, now I'm wishing I'd bought more!  There's just something so cool about seeing an ingredient transform into something completely different.

Thank you for suggesting culturing the buttermilk!  That's such a great idea, but for some reason it hadn't even occurred to me.

#6 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Whenever I have extra cream, I whip it with a little agave syrup and vanilla, then freeze dollops of it on a tray.  Then, I store the dollops in a container in the freezer and use them in hot chocolate or coffee.

#7 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Great idea!  I love whipped cream on hot chocolate, but it is a pain to whip up a little batch for each cup!

#8 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Just wondering which mixer attachment you used with your Kitchen aid ? which speed ? How long did it take? The butter would be cute to shape into a mold and hand out as homemade Christmas gifts

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#9 of 11 Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

It was just like making whipped cream!  I used the whisk attachment, and followed the instructions here  http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/113/Making-Butter

#10 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post

Whenever I have extra cream, I whip it with a little agave syrup and vanilla, then freeze dollops of it on a tray.  Then, I store the dollops in a container in the freezer and use them in hot chocolate or coffee.

I am sooooo going to do this!  YUM!

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#11 of 11 Old 12-13-2010, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ice cream's good too, if you have a churn - most of the recipes I use take about 2 cups of cream apiece.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page