Ensuring adequate iron intake for toddlers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you know if your toddler is getting enough iron? My son is 2 1/2 and he does eat really well; however, I noticed he does not like beef/red meat at all.  He's not fond of fish either.  He does like chicken, (only with breading on it as I tried giving it to him without breading but no go there) and he eats veges at dinner, too.  He loves fruit, mostly apples, pears, and oranges, so he gets a good amount of those.  He gets a multivitamin a day as well as an additional D3 supplement, but I noticed there is no iron in his multi (or maybe there is and it's called something else??)  Anyway, how do you ensure your child is getting the proper amount of iron, and/or do you give them an iron supplement? If so, what kind is good for toddlers?

Loving WAHM to my two little handsome DS's, '08 and '12, and loving wife to DH, '07love.gif

#2 of 2 Old 12-13-2010, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We eat red meat perhaps 2x week and sometime none at all, and sometimes we eat liver.  And we regularly eat molases cookies that have about a cup of molases.  An d we try to habe a serving of greens a day, and eat beans almost everyday.  My 3 yr old was just tested and she is a 13.75 bood iron count.  So I guess we get plenty.  But my son was tested around 1 yr and he tested anemic, and I made him liver a few times, cookies, and spinach in some things and in none month his iron quickly went up.

Tags
Vitamins Supplements , Food Items

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page