Okay! Post your FAVORITE Icing Recipe for Christmas Cutouts!!! :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-17-2010, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I never have one that I LOVE LOVE LOVE!  I am looking for something that turns out hard to the touch like you see on the cutouts at the store, but that doesn't taste gross and chalky like the confectioners sugar/milk combo or water combo or whatever.... so..... does anyone have a yummy one?  We are going to do cut outs this weekend and I'd love to find a new recipe!  

Post here!!! :) :) :)

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#2 of 10 Old 12-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Browned butter icing:

6 T browned butter

1.5 cups confectioners sugar

3 T hot milk

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!

#3 of 10 Old 12-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Browned butter icing:

6 T browned butter

1.5 cups confectioners sugar

3 T hot milk

It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!

Can you explain browned butter to me?  is it just 6 T of butter browned in a pan - how do you keep from burning it?

#4 of 10 Old 12-18-2010, 03:38 PM

Just melt it over medium heat and wait until it's kind of toasty brown--don't stir or anything.  There will be some little brown bits that form, that's okay.  Just keep an eye on it.  It takes a few minutes.

P.S.  The icing will be a light brown.  If you put enough food coloring in it, you can color it like any other icing, though. 

#5 of 10 Old 12-18-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

Just melt it over medium heat and wait until it's kind of toasty brown--don't stir or anything.  There will be some little brown bits that form, that's okay.  Just keep an eye on it.  It takes a few minutes.

P.S.  The icing will be a light brown.  If you put enough food coloring in it, you can color it like any other icing, though. 

Thanks - I am going to try this!

#6 of 10 Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 PM

One egg white to one cup sifted icing (confectioners) sugar.  Some people use meringue powder instead of the egg white but I have never had a problem with it.  If your eggs are extra large you could up the sugar a tad.

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#7 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 AM

I just use powdered sugar and milk or water. You can play with the consistency to get it just where you want it, and it dries hard. I don't think this tastes "chalky" at all--but you can add a little vanilla citrus extract if you'd like to vary the flavor. This is what I've always used for decorating our sugar cookies. 

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#8 of 10 Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I've done both the egg/confectioners sugar and the milk/water/confectioners sugar and just haven't been crazy about it... I really love the icing at Wegmans (if you have a wegmans nearby and know about their amazing sugar cookies that they decorate)... but I think I'll try the browned butter one and see what happens. :)

I wanted to do cut outs this weekend but just not enough hours in the day!  I made the dough today though and the girls have off tomorrow so the plan is to do them tomorrow.  I'll let you know what happens. :) I finally have a great cookie recipe so as soon as I love my icing I'll be set!  Baking for the holidays is so fun!

wool.gif~Kristen~chicken3.gif 
WAHMama to Skylar Adrianna (age 9), Tabitha Abigail (age 7), Trinity Grace Kate (age 5) and Kaya Victoria Ruth (age 2)
#9 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 05:14 AM

Yeah, I was planning on doing sugar cookies today too... But sort of forgot that DH has his vasectomy today, which I obviously have to drive him to... SO! Maybe this afternoon? Or thursday?? I have no idea when I'm going to get everything baked! AAHHH!!

#10 of 10 Old 12-21-2010, 12:49 PM

They always take me longer than I think they would!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page