Q about blackstrap molasses/calcium/iron - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
HRJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Someone recommended I eat blackstrap molasses during my PG.  I am dairy free, and I have low iron.  I see that it has both 20% of calcium and 20% of iron, and I wonder if it is really a good source of either since they are both in the food - sort of like how spinach isn't really a good source of either?  I think that spinach has oxalates too which make it hard to aborb, but my prenatal even has the calcium left out of it (it's in a different tablet) so it can be absorbed better. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am curious to know more but what I can tell you is that my son when he turned a year tested anemic.  I had one month till they tested again and I fed him loads of spinach smoothies, lentils and other beans, liver, and TONS of GF molasses cookies and his iron went up alot in one month.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I read that the vegetarian iron in spinach and molasses are better absorbed if eaten with vit-C. So spinach with lemon is good, and while I was pregnant I drank a tea of water, lemon juice and blackstrap molasses-really yummy IMO.

Tags
Vitamins Supplements , Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List