What is a good alternative to "Crisco" in baking recipies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i want to make some Bisquick-like mix but they all call for crisco.  Is there a more healthy option that will bake up ok?  Thanks in advance!

ETA: Can I use Coconut Oil (the kind sold in the baking isle in the grocery store?)

#2 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We use Spectrum Palm Shortening (because of allergies) but I don't think I'd ever go back to Crisco even if I could. You could also use butter in some of the recipes. Or lard if you can get the real stuff (not the preservative filled stuff in the regular grocery stores).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

lard

#4 of 20 Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 AM

We use palm shortening in place of "Crisco" in our baking.

Our climate is warm most of the year, so coconut oil wouldn't work well for that particular purpose. We use coconut oil in place of butter and oil in many things. If your climate is cool (or your house is cool enough to keep it solid), then it might work well for you. I'd make a small batch and see how it works.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#5 of 20 Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Leaf lard is the pure lard that has been rendered without additives.  I'd use that.

#6 of 20 Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Minimally processed lard can be hard to come by, in a lot of places, and it's often exorbitantly expensive. The other suggestions are good, though. I think coconut oil is a nice substitute, but it will taste like coconut so you have to decide if you want that. Would butter work? You might also try palm oil shortening, which is definitely a refined product, but it's not hydrogenated. It's Spectrum that makes that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#7 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Minimally processed lard can be hard to come by, in a lot of places, and it's often exorbitantly expensive.

Hmmm... I get mine from the Amish these days, and it's cheaper than butter, but only a little more expensive than the processed lard.  I've rendered it myself in the past (it's not difficult at all) and that is also inexpensive.  Where I live we have a lot of butchers and meat processors (deer hunting country) that are butchering hog all year around, so it's easy to get leaf lard at a small cost.  I do use the cheaper, processed lard to make soap, and wouldn't want to eat anything made with that, for sure.  It has a lot of trans fats, whereas pure lard doesn't.

I'm allergic to coconut, so that's never been an option for us at all, and I know nothing about it.

#8 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 AM

I use Spectrum for my baking.

#9 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

Quote:

Minimally processed lard can be hard to come by, in a lot of places, and it's often exorbitantly expensive.

Hmmm... I get mine from the Amish these days, and it's cheaper than butter, but only a little more expensive than the processed lard.  I've rendered it myself in the past (it's not difficult at all) and that is also inexpensive.  Where I live we have a lot of butchers and meat processors (deer hunting country) that are butchering hog all year around, so it's easy to get leaf lard at a small cost.  I do use the cheaper, processed lard to make soap, and wouldn't want to eat anything made with that, for sure.  It has a lot of trans fats, whereas pure lard doesn't.

I'm allergic to coconut, so that's never been an option for us at all, and I know nothing about it.

In some places, it is easy and inexpensive to get lard. But not everybody has Amish where they live, or hunters or butchers even. I can't get lard to save my life, where I am, unless I pay $10 a pound for fatback and render it myself, or if I want to drive sixty miles into the next state. I can get it through the mail, and I do sometimes, but it's not practical for everyday.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 20 Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

I always replace shortening with butter :)

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#11 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM

I also use Spectrum shortening.  Earth Balance shortening sticks or buttery sticks would work well, too.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#12 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I use butter or coconut oil, or a combination.  I sometimes use animal fat if I have it.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#13 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

In some places, it is easy and inexpensive to get lard. But not everybody has Amish where they live, or hunters or butchers even. I can't get lard to save my life, where I am, unless I pay $10 a pound for fatback and render it myself, or if I want to drive sixty miles into the next state. I can get it through the mail, and I do sometimes, but it's not practical for everyday.

I guess I have yet another reason to love where I live.

#14 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:

Oh my goodness.  yikes2.gif

OP--it sounds like lard availability varies a lot.  I can get good pig fat for $1.50/lb and it really is easy to render, I just did a batch and I store it in the frig or freezer, it'll last ages.  I wouldn't be so generous using it, though, if it started as $10/lb (unrendered).

#15 of 20 Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I always replace shortening with butter :)

that's what I do, too.

#16 of 20 Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM

I use butter or the spectrum stuff. 

#17 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 10:11 AM

I can get leaf fat from the woman I buy my meat from for like 80 cents a lb. I render my own lard and use that in place of shortening. If I couldn't do that I'd probably go with organic shortening

Crystal

mom to two boys (9/19/98) (8/24/03) and soon to be # 3 (7/2/11)

#18 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM

I always replace shortening with either coconut oil or butter.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#19 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I always just use butter. If you are making a mix that you want to be able to store like you would a box of Bisquick or something I would just keep it in the fridge so the butter stays fresh.

#20 of 20 Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 PM

I can't have butter, so I use coconut oil.  Yes, you can replace shortening with coconut oil with good results, I do it all the time.  And I replace butter with coconut oil.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page