Good source for Un-sweetened dried cranberries? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any thoughts, I love to add dried cranberries to granola, oatmeal, trail mix, etc..... but I can only seem to find the type that is loaded with extra sugar.  Many Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

we can not find any that do not have sugar added - but we did get these direct from the grower (they also have fresh)

www.organiccranberries.com/order.html

from what I understand there are not any commercially that are not "sweet"

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#4 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM

I've never found any. We have made them ourselves, though. I buy lots of fresh cranberries in season, and then dry them in the oven-- prick each berry with a toothpick, and set it on a baking sheet. Or you can blanch them in boiling water, to crack the skins. Put them in a warm oven-- about 140 degrees-- and leave them until they're the right texture. Test them by putting them in a closed plastic or glass container, for a day. If there's condensation on the container, they need more drying.

It's hard to get some ovens to 140. You may need to leave the oven door ajar, to achieve that temperature, so a thermometer is handy.

They are impossibly tart, though. I can't imagine eating them plain. We rehydrate ours, and make sweetened cranberry sauces and jellies. I also use them in baked goods that are sweetened. When we put them on porridge, we add plenty of honey or maple syrup along with them.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 01-04-2011, 11:28 PM

You won't find them commercially.  I looked for months and months a few years back, nobody sells them.  You can sometimes find them direct from growers on places like localharvest, or you can do them yourself. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Here are some organic ones sweetened with apple juice. Yum.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page