What's wrong with carbs, anyway? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have wondered the same thing... so many healthy cuisines are heavy in carbs, even refined carbs-- like chinese, french, mediterranean.  The one thing those cuisines have in common, though, is that they are high in veggies.  I too feel better when I eat carbs, including refined, regardless of all the literature I read against them.  I have never had a weight problem.  So right now I just go on what makes me feel best and I'm eating carbs.  I am sugar-free though.

One problem with carbs is that it's easy to overdo it.  One cup of flour has about 400 calories.  So a single 3 cup loaf has nearly enough daily calories for a moderately active person.  Maybe this is why people who cut down on carbs lose weight, because they were overeating on carbs to begin with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It does not seem to help me (I wish it did!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Yes to all of it. Grains give me inflammation but my family eats them in moderation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

I dodnt want to go grain free as my religion says grain is for man, but when I cut it out, my skin cleared up, and my lyme disease is more tollerable.

Does it help at all to soak them? Or a sprouted bread?

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmum View Post

One problem with carbs is that it's easy to overdo it.  One cup of flour has about 400 calories.  So a single 3 cup loaf has nearly enough daily calories for a moderately active person.  Maybe this is why people who cut down on carbs lose weight, because they were overeating on carbs to begin with.

I definitely was. That's why it was so interesting to me that cutting grains out eliminated the sugar cravings whereas cutting just sugar did nothing.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

It does not seem to help me (I wish it did!)

greensad.gif Okay, one more question about something I'm sure you've tried, have you ever had injera? It's made with teff which is a naturally gluten free wheat. Since soaking and fermenting don't help, I wonder if it's the gluten that causes the problems? If you haven't already tried it, go to an Ethiopian restaurant when you have a chance. Injera also has the advantage of being, imo, the best bread ever.

(Oh, hang on, restaurants will often add other flours to the teff, so maybe it'd be harder to test than I thought...)

Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We tried injera here and it was made with a fermented started of teff, but it caused big rections here.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 AM

How do we know what people were eating 12000 years ago?  I'm a historian (far more recent history) and interested to know.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post

How do we know what people were eating 12000 years ago?  I'm a historian (far more recent history) and interested to know.

Guns, Germs and Steel has a very good discussion of the timeline of the domestication of various plants IIRC.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 AM

I've been on both sides of this. I was perfectly healthy 5 years ago and just decided to start TF because it "made sense" to me. I felt good for a few years, and got pretty into low carb/low grain/Paleo for a couple years of that. I felt pretty good, for a while. I blasted veganism. Then I got terribly sick with an intestinal infection (blastocystis hominis and yeast) that lasted for 1.5 years. I tried to treat naturally and tried every herbal remedy out then and did even more strict grain-free very low carb high meat/animal fat as that's what most alternative medicine sources said would cure it. I lost a TON of weight, had no energy, was depressed, etc. 

Then out of desperation I tried the opposite, not really thinking it would work. Added back all the grains (including the "evil" gluten!) and going mostly vegetarian. My healthy quickly improved: digestion, gained back weight, better moods, energy, skin cleared up. In fact a similar list PP gave for going grain-free =). Side note, it still didn't completely cure me, I gave in and finally took meds which cleared up the infection.

So it wasn't even the placebo effect for me, I was still "against it" while I was trying it. I guess I am the carb-type even though I was forcing myself to be a protein/fat type. 

But I acknowledge that going paleo has helped a lot of people. As others have mentioned, I fully agree there there is no one diet for everyone. It's important to really experiment and listen to your own body, not matter how convincing someone's book is one what SHOULD work for everyone. Kind of fascinating how unique we all are like that =). It really irks me now when people say "no one can be nourished on a vegan diet" or "grain-free is for everyone" or the opposite "everyone can thrive on a vegan diet", etc.

It's also fascinating that new fossils of early man are being discovered, one that was pure vegetarian, some that ate cultivated grasses, etc..during a time period we thought all early man were still purely hunter-gatherers. It seems we have had diversified diets for a long time now. 

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM

I have been asking myself the same question since I started checking out the nutrition threads on MDC. My diet has been pretty carb-heavy since childhood, but in a slightly different way.

My family is Scandinavian (from Denmark originally), and I grew up eating lots of meat, fish, breads, root veggies (especially potatoes), and LOTS of dairy. Fruits and vegetables were a complete afterthought in our house - we would have horrified a lot of vegetarians & vegans! The only veggies we ate occasionally were green beans and broccoli, and virtually no fruit, just berries or jam once in a while. I never thought anything was "weird" about my diet til I met my husband at 23, and he couldn't believe that I didn't eat fruits or veggies!

To this day I rarely (and I mean RARELY) touch fruit or veg. I think I have had a salad maybe 3 times in my lifetime. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. My ideal lunch is a big hunk of homemade rye, a wedge of cheese and a glass of wine. Yum!

My health and my family's health has always been excellent. My father was a competitive cyclist for years and also cross-county skis. My grandparents lived well into their 90s. My weight as always been about the same - I'm 5'3" and hover around 125, I am curvy but definitely not fat (I think my boobs must weigh a good 10 lbs, lol). I always feel fine, am very positive and happy, and haven't been seriously sick since I had the flu at 17. I was 117 before I got pregnant with DD but gained a lot during my pregnancy because I was on bedrest for so long, I am trying to lose that last 10 lbs. which is what brought me here.

My husband, on the other hand, has been doing Paleo/GF for a year and is doing well. He has multiple issues, despite being thin and very active - pre-diabetes, lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, sick/colds often. He is amazed at my health and immune system since we eat completely differently. However, our new neighbor, who is Swedish, eats virtually the same diet that I do, and is also thin, happy, healthy, and active - and she is a ski and yoga instructor!

I am trying to limit my carbs (bread, potatoes, rice) but it's been really difficult for me. I've been eating this way for 29 years, and I'm still not convinced that changing my diet is the way to go. This is an interesting thread though, I love to read different people's perspectives on food and to see what works for them. I really think that everyone is different, and that you have to do what works for you. Like a PP mentioned, Asian cultures have been eating meats, rice, and veggies for eons, but give them dairy and they can't handle it. I think it's the same with me and being Scandinavian, it's just in my blood to thrive on meats, grains, and dairy.

~ Sarah ~ Living the mountain life with DH Dan hug.gif & DD Lillian 1.6.10 energy.gifand DS Jack 10.22.11 babyboy.gif Trying to find time to sewmachine.gif!!

Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM

i gotta say, i love my carbs. 

especially if you're an athlete, which i am, carbs are THE preferred fuel source.

honestly, i guess i just try to balance everything and limit my intake of processed foods.  currently i'm eating a lot more protein than i normally would, but i'm pregnant, so that's why.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

This is a fascinating thread.  I tend to agree with the "everyone's body is different" approach.  I have couple questions for those that are grain free if that's ok...

1.  I notice that if I try not to eat grains I have a really hard time getting full and staying full.  Do you think that this is likely something that would go away and become less of an issue once my body adjusted to being grain-free?

2.  When you talk about detoxing from grains are you referring to just your desire for grains and your perseved dependence or physically detoxing?  I am nursing so I would  need to be careful.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

This is a fascinating thread.  I tend to agree with the "everyone's body is different" approach.  I have couple questions for those that are grain free if that's ok...

1.  I notice that if I try not to eat grains I have a really hard time getting full and staying full.  Do you think that this is likely something that would go away and become less of an issue once my body adjusted to being grain-free?

The getting/staying full is what I call the munchies. It usually lasts about a week for me. That's a week of being constantly hungry. I have to plan in advance for plenty of snacks. And it's perfectly normal. Once I get through that week though, then it's the opposite. Then I have appetite suppression.  

2.  When you talk about detoxing from grains are you referring to just your desire for grains and your perseved dependence or physically detoxing?  I am nursing so I would  need to be careful.

It is actually a physical detox, but not in a way that is dangerous for your nursling, so long as you're still eating/drinking enough. Your body is physically addicted, it's not a perception, and the withdrawal period can be brutal. If you eat plenty of other carbs though, it's not nearly as bad - fruits, veg, beans, starches (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.). When you go from SAD to low carb/grain free, that's probably the worst adjustment period.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 AM

They are very calorie dense and break down to basically sugar in the digestive tract.  Good for energy, bad for weight loss and weight maintenance.  Your body will burn the carbs for fuel before anything else.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

It sounds like your diet works for you and a lot of mamas hold onto the last 10 pounds while nursing. I would not start messing with your body (metabolism ect) if you are feeling good otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevadaMama View Post

I have been asking myself the same question since I started checking out the nutrition threads on MDC. My diet has been pretty carb-heavy since childhood, but in a slightly different way.

My family is Scandinavian (from Denmark originally), and I grew up eating lots of meat, fish, breads, root veggies (especially potatoes), and LOTS of dairy. Fruits and vegetables were a complete afterthought in our house - we would have horrified a lot of vegetarians & vegans! The only veggies we ate occasionally were green beans and broccoli, and virtually no fruit, just berries or jam once in a while. I never thought anything was "weird" about my diet til I met my husband at 23, and he couldn't believe that I didn't eat fruits or veggies!

To this day I rarely (and I mean RARELY) touch fruit or veg. I think I have had a salad maybe 3 times in my lifetime. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. My ideal lunch is a big hunk of homemade rye, a wedge of cheese and a glass of wine. Yum!

My health and my family's health has always been excellent. My father was a competitive cyclist for years and also cross-county skis. My grandparents lived well into their 90s. My weight as always been about the same - I'm 5'3" and hover around 125, I am curvy but definitely not fat (I think my boobs must weigh a good 10 lbs, lol). I always feel fine, am very positive and happy, and haven't been seriously sick since I had the flu at 17. I was 117 before I got pregnant with DD but gained a lot during my pregnancy because I was on bedrest for so long, I am trying to lose that last 10 lbs. which is what brought me here.

My husband, on the other hand, has been doing Paleo/GF for a year and is doing well. He has multiple issues, despite being thin and very active - pre-diabetes, lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant, sick/colds often. He is amazed at my health and immune system since we eat completely differently. However, our new neighbor, who is Swedish, eats virtually the same diet that I do, and is also thin, happy, healthy, and active - and she is a ski and yoga instructor!

I am trying to limit my carbs (bread, potatoes, rice) but it's been really difficult for me. I've been eating this way for 29 years, and I'm still not convinced that changing my diet is the way to go. This is an interesting thread though, I love to read different people's perspectives on food and to see what works for them. I really think that everyone is different, and that you have to do what works for you. Like a PP mentioned, Asian cultures have been eating meats, rice, and veggies for eons, but give them dairy and they can't handle it. I think it's the same with me and being Scandinavian, it's just in my blood to thrive on meats, grains, and dairy.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

When you go from SAD to low carb/grain free, that's probably the worst adjustment period.

Agree with all that Cristeen said (she's a smart patootey!), but also wanted to add: I actually went from SAD to organic to higher fat to low-grain and then when I cut out grains (I'm back to very very low grain now), I didn't have as much of a strong reaction to the withdrawal. I think the fact that my body was already mostly there helped make the transition easier. 

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post

Agree with all that Cristeen said (she's a smart patootey!), but also wanted to add: I actually went from SAD to organic to higher fat to low-grain and then when I cut out grains (I'm back to very very low grain now), I didn't have as much of a strong reaction to the withdrawal. I think the fact that my body was already mostly there helped make the transition easier. 

Awww, shucks! innocent.gif

Definitely!  The small changes are much easier to get through.  We did a similar progression, although we went SAD to LC (which was tough), back to semi-SAD, then to organic, back to LC, then to low-grain, then grain-free/sugar-free.  When I got pregnant, diet became whatever I wanted, and then since DS was born, I've been eating a lot of grains. Over the last month I mindfully backed off of them knowing that on the 1st I'd be going GF.  And the transition wasn't nearly as difficult - in fact I seem to have skipped the munchies completely and gone straight to appetite suppression, which rocks. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Tags
Food Items , Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List