Healthier oil for frying? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm slowly trying to find healthier meals and ways of cooking.I like olive oil, but I've read that you shouldn't use it for frying b/c it loses some of the nutrients or something, I can't remember how it was worded , but you lose something. I also don't really like it for frying b/c it heats to fast and gets soaked up and then I need to add even more. So what oils are really good for frying and sauting veggies in? 

#2 of 10 Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM

olive oil also has a low smoke point(it burns easily). Coconut oil seems like the MDC go-to for frying, or ghee(I make my own from butter), oh, and, although I don't use it, I hear lard is another good one. Plain butter is good for making eggs in. In some dishes, you can eliminate the need for oil if you use a good cast iron pot/pan/wok(non-stick)

I still do my deep frying in corn or canola oil though.... I wonder if you could use coconut oil for that? way too expensive for me to use it for that though.

ETA: I don't use extra oil in my CI skillet when frying eggs, but I would probably use oil for veggies. When I'm not using CI, I tend to use a LOT more oil than necessary, just to keep food from sticking. 

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#3 of 10 Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM

I deep fry in coconut oil, and yeah, its way pricey.  Luckily I only deep fry like once a year.  But I've gotta say that onion rings made in coconut oil are yummy.gif.

#4 of 10 Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to try the coconut oil soon. I do use margarine for frying some things sometimes, but I think real butter or oil may be healthier. I didn't know that cast iron pans didn't need oil when you fried/sauted veggies in them. I'll look into that as well b/c I'm vegetarian and do need a way to add more iron to my diet. I know that cooking with a cast iron pan helps that.

#5 of 10 Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I still always have to add oil to my CI skillet.  And don't forget that your body cannot properly absorb the nutrients from your veggies without fat.  Might as well use it to cook them in.

Since you're veg, I'd pretty much stick with CO.  I keep both refined and unrefined in the house.  The refined is what I use for deep frying.  It's cheaper and it doesn't have the coconutty flavor.  The unrefined I use for every-day cooking of things that have plenty of flavor of their own.  I can almost never taste the coconut flavor.  I'll also sometimes use it in conjunction with butter - the CO helps keep the butter from burning, and the butter lends it's yummy flavor. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 10 Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

I cook with butter or coconut oil.  I save my olive oil for drizzling.  I'm not veg, so I also cook with rendered animal fats when available.  

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#7 of 10 Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM

We use safflower oil.

#8 of 10 Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Coconut oil here, too. I've tried to move away from seed oils as much as possible. We're mostly butter and CO here, with some olive oil for occasional cooking but mostly salads. That being said, I'm all about sauteeing and pan-frying, but not too much on deep frying. The deepest my oil gets is enough to do one side of an italian style cutlet. 

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#9 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM

Sesame oil is probably the least processed, safest, time tested plant oil after olive and coconut oil. It's been used for hundreds and maybe even thousands of years in India, China, etc. The refined kind is safe for high temp trying, but I agree coconut oil is not processed at all so is probably best. I use refined sesame oil when I really don't want the coconutty taste in something.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#10 of 10 Old 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM

For frying, I generally use either lard or peanut oil.

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page