Anyone try recipes from "The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good or bad reviews? Thanks!

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 12:56 AM

Haven't seen the cookbook (in person), but I've tried a few recipes from her website and they're good. I can't do a whole lot with almond flour b/c DH is allergic to tree nuts, but really everyone I've heard from who uses her recipes loves them.

doula, wife to Dave ribbonyellow.gif, mom to Noah (5/14/06) superhero.gifand Faith (11/13/08) ribbonlime.gif (Gastroschisis Awareness) 127 days in the NICU, and 6 weeks thousands of miles from home, because of gastroschisis.  Expecting #3 2ndtri.gif July 2011! computergeek2.gif www.frugallynatural.org
Old 02-01-2011, 10:50 PM

I've used it and we enjoy the recipes.  It does make a difference to use the fine ground almond meal (not Bob's Red Mill) in the recipes.  I order from Honeyville online.  I also substitute other oils and liquid sweeteners if I don't have grapeseed oil or agave on hand.  That seems to work fine.  Oh, and some of the recipes seem a  little salty to our taste, so I cut back a little. 

I also use almond flour as part of a "whole grain" gluten free flour mix I make, even though it's not a grain.  :)

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM

I have only tried her recipes from her website. I've liked what I have made. However, I did find out that I have an allergic reaction if I have too much almond. I can eat a handful and be fine; however, when a cookie is made of just almond flour, I was a mess.

Moral of my story - if you have sensitivities to food, I would take it slow with the recipes with a lot of almond flour.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies. I just got the book from the library and ordered just a 1 lb bag of flour from honeyville. I seem to be ok with almonds, raw. I cannot really eat roasted almonds as I seem to react slightly to them, headaches. I think it was either the oils they were roasted in were rancid or the type of oil they were roasted in. Like our HFS has bulk almonds and the roasted ones have peanut oil. Not sure why peanut oil. I'm going to try the choco chip cookies and the pancakes. The lemon bars look yummy too. Also interested in her marshmallow frosting that's just egg whites and agave.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10

User Tag List