bread baking question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2011, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a recipe for dinner rolls that calls for all-purpose white flour and regular whole wheat flour.  I've made them before, and they came out great.  I'd like to make them again, but the only flours I have in are *bread* flours.  I know it seems backwards, but would it be o.k. to sub the bread flour for the regular?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 PM

It should be fine.  I'd try to be very careful not to overwork the dough and I might reduce the amount of flour by a teaspoon or so for each cup of flour, but they should still be good.  They might be a bit more chewy than the ones made with regular flour.

Hey, Babe  +  Me  =  Little Man 07-27-08  &  the Storm Sprite 07-11-10  computergeek2.gif    
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 PM

I think you might get a very slightly different texture-- with more "chew" to it-- but it should work just fine, even if it is a bit different. Honestly, I think it would taste BETTER, but I like a bit of chew to my rolls.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree that the rolls will probably be a little chewier. Unless you want/need a really tender, soft texture, you can probably substitute without too much noticeable difference. 

Last weekend I made cinnamon buns using a sweet roll recipe with bread flour instead of AP flour. The dough calls for a fair amount of sugar, melted butter and eggs, so I don't know how that compares to your dinner roll recipe (probably yours has less sugar and no eggs?). 

Anyway, the buns were a big success. They were a little chewier than usual, but still tender. I was careful not to over-knead and with the rising times. 

Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I made them.  You all were right, the only difference was the texture.  With the regular flour, they were tender, but the bread flour made them heartier -- more like a sandwich roll than a dinner roll.  They're equally good, just different.  Ollyoxenfree, yes, the recipe uses only a small amount of sugar, and no butter (uses oil) or eggs.

User Tag List