Sugar addiction - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

(But you probably could eat an entire stick of butter if you rolled it in sugar.)

I could eat a stick of butter, even without sugar. Butter is soooooo yummy. However, I do get what you're saying...because if I ate that stick of butter, I wouldn't feel hungry afterwards. If I ate the 13 chocolate chip cookies (and yes, I have - with pop, back before I quite drinking it), I'd be looking for something else to eat. Sugar really is nasty stuff.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#62 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

i just figured out my sores on my head were due to the sugar. i had been HFCS free for a week or two then binges when i got the diagnosis. then later that night and the  next day i itched and had sores. it was awful.

as a fructose intolerant person, i do have to read every label to look for all kinds of things that arent even called sugar. but i am working up to that.

the darker chocolate causes me heartburn and i get sick. :( i cant have cocoa or anything with it in it. major upsets. the cravings were so bad the other day i ate 6 m&m's. the last of the valentines candy. my stomach was so mad at me. the chocolate, the milk, the sugar, the artififcial colors. sigh.

if you are frucotse intolerant you cant have honey. it is the largest source of fructose under HFCS. :( they list table sugar as better for you than honey.

How about xylitol?  It's tooth healthy and doesn't have the laxative effect of the other sugar alcohols. (Careful about that if you have dogs though.) It won't work for bread though because it's none fermenting.

Stevia appears to be another possibility with glucose-related sugars not fructose.

#63 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

How about xylitol?  It's tooth healthy and doesn't have the laxative effect of the other sugar alcohols. (Careful about that if you have dogs though.) It won't work for bread though because it's none fermenting.

Stevia appears to be another possibility with glucose-related sugars not fructose.

my doctor says to be wary of it. i have found the interent to be wishy washy on it. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#64 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who could eat a stick of butter! orngtongue.gif

DoulaReese likes this.
#65 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 02:23 PM

I don't think I could eat a stick of butter, but growing up my Mom used to make us bread and butter with sugar sprinkled on top.  Yummers!!!! 

I'm actually doing great today, thanks to lots of protein and fat.

DoulaReese likes this.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#66 of 143 Old 02-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post

Ok, I am glad to hear I am not the only one who could eat a stick of butter! orngtongue.gif

Butter is possibly my favourite food. :o

My great-aunt used to eat butter on its own all the time - straight from the churn. She once told me she'd estimate that she ate at least a quarter pound (a stick!) every time they churned, and as much as her mom would let her have every other day. She still happily eats butter. And, she's outlived her three younger siblings and turns...97 this year. She still lives on her own. I love knowing we come from the same genetic stock...even though I don't take after her.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#67 of 143 Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM

i need ideas for meals. i have eggs and potaotes every day. or meat with potatoes or rice. i add broccolli somtimes. but some websites are saying not to eat corn or broccoli either. i cant live off meat and rice forever. where would i post to ask for meal ideas specific to fructose intolerance?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#68 of 143 Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Allergy forum? Even if no one there has a fructose intolerance, they can likely point you to good places to look up really detailed breakdowns of food content.

I did find this http://www.bu.edu/aldolase/HFI/treatment/ by Googling "fructose free food"

Cheeses are all fructose free, as are fats.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/fructose-free-food-list.html has lists of vegetables and fruits that are very low in fructose, how well you tolerate them would depend on your particular level of tolerance. Depending on what sort of reactions you get from fructose, it might well be worth figuring out how much you can eat safely in a day. (I don't, obviously, know much about fructose intolerances, but I know that people with lactose intolerance who can have a limited amount of dairy in a day--e.g. milk with their cereal OR ice cream for dessert OR ricotta in their lasagna--and as long as they are careful with the amount they don't suffer any ill effects.)

#69 of 143 Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

One week of no processed sugar = OMG I WANT SOME FREAKING CANDY!!!!!

It's not that I want "sweet" because the thought of honey or something else is yuck to me. I want candy, I want a soda, I want chocolate...I was making my own "chocolate" using raw cacao powder (lots of protein in it), raw butter (fats and protein) and raw honey. We're out of cacao, though....and I want a Hershey bar anyway.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#70 of 143 Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I am right there with you.  :(  And I haven't even completely weaned yet.  I have been eating the last box of shortbread cookies, which basically taste like sugary cardboard.  But I am eating them anyway and seriously feeling like I need to up my zoloft.

It doesn't help that I get zero time to myself, that it is impossible to go outside because of the cold, that DH and I are fighting, and we are broke.  Chocolate and sugar were the bright spot of my endless days...and now that is gone too.

Ugh, I can't believe I just wrote that.  But maybe some of you can understand.

#71 of 143 Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post

I am right there with you.  :(  And I haven't even completely weaned yet.  I have been eating the last box of shortbread cookies, which basically taste like sugary cardboard.  But I am eating them anyway and seriously feeling like I need to up my zoloft.

It doesn't help that I get zero time to myself, that it is impossible to go outside because of the cold, that DH and I are fighting, and we are broke.  Chocolate and sugar were the bright spot of my endless days...and now that is gone too.

Ugh, I can't believe I just wrote that.  But maybe some of you can understand.

Uh, recent mom to two under two here: I totally get what your'e saying. We're broke (we keep living outside of our means...and we aren't sure how we keep pulling that off) I get a 15min shower each night as my "me time" and that's about it...

It's part of why I want chocolate. I want that pleasure center in my brain to light up.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#72 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 AM

I completely understand, too, kdaisy. Add to all that a 5 yo who kepps having accidents... Ugh. Sneaking into the kitchen for a chunk of good chocolate ten times a day was helping me stay sane.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#73 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM

i am managing to stay away from candy and pop. the high fructose corn syrup now turns me off. but i want sugar. i made brownies homemade last night. they were for the kids..... cocoa, sugar, shortening, flour etc. less sugar in the long run and i only ate 2. i have been drinking homemade lemonade and lime-ade. i just squeeze some fresh then add some stevia and water. it helps.

can you find bacon that is not cured with sugar?

#74 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:

can you find bacon that is not cured with sugar?

I didn't know it was...hmmm...

I'm going to make tea with LOTS of stevia. Hopefully it will be sweet enough to get me feeling better.

This may sound weird...but I have a question for those craving sugar: Can you "feel it" in your mouth? Like, that sugar hitting your mouth feeling? Or am I crazy?

#75 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

yeah i feel it. i feel it on my tongue. it is instant satisfaction to me. i can feel it in my stomach too. a soothing thing like doing drugs. which i used to be addicted to.

stevia is pretty sweet. it does have an aftertaste a little. but i love it.

all commercial bacon lists sugar as a curing agent. i think i need to search around. bc breakfast sausage has it too. and i am not allowed food with added sugar. it is so hard cutting out hidden sources of sugar.

#76 of 143 Old 02-23-2011, 08:28 PM

Rough day/week/time in general = I want to curl up under the covers with something containing milk chocolate and peanut butter and eat until I'm sick. Ugh.

#77 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 AM

I tried to do  the no sugar thing a couple of days ago and ended up with a killer headache and more tired than ever...then I ended up caving and eating a bunch a truffles. How the hell did I get so addicted to this stuff greensad.gif.

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#78 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 07:23 AM

I actually made it 4 entire days without sugar (although I did use maple syrup in my oatmeal), but then DH surprised me last night with a Blizzard from DQ.  Back to start.

I've had really good luck eating 5-6 times a day, including protein and complex carb with every single one of those 5-6 meals.  No cravings or headaches when I eat like that.  But since the Blizzard last night, I am fighting off the desire for more sugar!

DoulaReese likes this.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#79 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM

I'm 11 days with no processed sugar. I HAVE been using honey and maple syrup...

DoulaReese likes this.

#80 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post

I actually made it 4 entire days without sugar (although I did use maple syrup in my oatmeal), but then DH surprised me last night with a Blizzard from DQ.  Back to start.

Does he know that you're trying to break your sugar addiction? If so, that just isn't cool! You need to talk to him.

I'm thread-crashing. I'm not a sugar addict, although I have been in the past. I've finally mastered moderation when it comes to sweets. One think I like when I'm craving something sweet is a pitted Medjool date stuffed with a little raw almond butter. It really hits the spot. Good luck on this journey, ladies. It sure does require a lot of work and willpower. I'm living proof that it can be done, though. I like to drink Vitamin Water Zero occasionally too. It's sweetened with stevia, so it doesn't have any chemicals. It's good if you like a sweet drink.

#81 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM

PMS causes extra sugar cravings. Some people have luck with increasing iron during that time to reduce/eliminate the sugar cravings.

Just something I finally remembered this morning when I woke up with a sugar/carbs craving like I hadn't had in months.

#82 of 143 Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM

i almost forgot i ordered girl scout cookies. only one box of cookies was high fructose corn syrup free. i ate 4 carmel delights. they dont taste good anymore. they are too sweet. i guess i dont like HFCS any more. which is good bc it is evil.

regular table sugar is harder to not like. still crave it. but the more protein and fat i eat the better it gets. i love salmon over white rice. yumm. and salt. i am loving salt.

DoulaReese likes this.

#83 of 143 Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

So how far down the list of ingredients is everyone going?  It sounds like most of you are eliminating sugar completely.  I don't know if I can do it.  I am eating mainstream peanut butter (second ingredient is sugar) and kashi cereal (cane juice is number 3).  But, honestly, this is struggle enough! 

It is interesting about the iron...I have been drinking/craving a lot of prune juice and cherry juice, both of which have a good dose of iron.

#84 of 143 Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

I just wanted to post an update about our progress. DH and I did great for 2 days. NO sugar at all!

It wasn't even that hard, I just felt hungry constantly but we had plenty of stuff to snack on and I made awesome maple cranberry almond granola with no sugar just maple syrup and that helped for sweet cravings.

On the third day it all fell apart completelygreensad.gif

I was literally feeling sick to my stomach all day and just awful, no energy, queasy etc...

Well it turns out that I might be pregnant (big surprise) and it is still too soon to test for it accurately. I ended up going out and specifically buying a bag of my all time favorite candy that only comes out at Easter (those cadbury chocolate eggs with the crunch shells, not the huge ones).  

I thought it would make me feel better and I was coming to the realization that I might be pregnant and wanted to see if it was not eating sugar that was making me sick or the possibility of being pregnant. So I ate practically the whole bag and just couldn't tell the difference although I did get an energy spike from the insane amount of sugar I just ingested. 

So now several days later and I have to replan. We don't have any additional sugar in the house and I don't have a vehicle to go get some so here I am starting over again. I am still not sure if I am pregnant or not (my period is not due for several days still and I don't trust the accuracy of taking a test before at least the first day of when my period is due) but at least this time I won't be surprised by feeling sick regardless of eating sugar stuff or not..

Oh to answer the PP's question, yes we are cutting out ALL processed sugar, although we still do honey and maple syrup. I used to love Kashi myself but then I learned they are owned by Kellogg's and since then have completely cut anything related to Kellogg's out of our lives. I cannot stand that company. Thats another rant though..

How is everyone else doing with their progress...If I am indeed pregnant it is all the more reason to cut sugar out completely, I can just see my midwife now rolling her eyes the last time I was pregnant and I admitted to eating ice cream EVERY SINGLE DAY...

#85 of 143 Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM

the only thing that bothers me about all this is that everybody is replacing the sugar with fructose. humans can process glucose and what not but every human can only process so much fructose in one sitting, whether intolerant or not. the excess fructose will sit in your gut and ferment.

i dont think anybody here could be intolerant but this link has some info about the composition of different sugars.

http://www.diet.com/g/fructose-intolerance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

too much fructose will make you feel sick. if you feel really sick, tired, etc, you could be intolerant.

forgive me if i seem to go about this, but i am just learning all this and want to pass on my info. it seems that the alternative sugars are not any better.

#86 of 143 Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

the only thing that bothers me about all this is that everybody is replacing the sugar with fructose. humans can process glucose and what not but every human can only process so much fructose in one sitting, whether intolerant or not. the excess fructose will sit in your gut and ferment.

i dont think anybody here could be intolerant but this link has some info about the composition of different sugars.

http://www.diet.com/g/fructose-intolerance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose_malabsorption

too much fructose will make you feel sick. if you feel really sick, tired, etc, you could be intolerant.

forgive me if i seem to go about this, but i am just learning all this and want to pass on my info. it seems that the alternative sugars are not any better.

Thanks for the links! I find it interesting as well as I had never even heard of a fructose intolerance before this whole adventure started.

In regard to myself, while I am replacing sugar with honey or maple syrup, I don't like honey that much and so at most I have put a little in a cup of tea and the maple syrup has only really found it's way into the granola and a couple of baked things. I wouldn't say I have eaten of maple syrup even a quarter of the sugar I was ingesting on a daily basis so I am assuming I am far far from overdoing the fructose. Overall I am just eating less sweetened stuff and if I am seriously craving a sweet thing I will have some strawberries dipped in unsweetened whipped cream.

I still think that a natural sweetener (honey, maple syrup) will always be a better choice than just tons of processed sugar, but then again someone who is definitely fructose intolerant will disagree with that statement as that would just make them ill.

Thanks for the interesting info!

#87 of 143 Old 02-28-2011, 01:20 PM

:) just want to add info. i am so craving thin mint cookies. lol. girl scout cookies. sigh. they are everywhere right now.

#88 of 143 Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Sugar cravings could come from an underlying hormonal imbalance...

From Women to Women:

Cravings have nothing to do with willpower!

The power of sugar cravings on your body

#89 of 143 Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am caving tonight.

I may just need to go ahead and eat the sugar.  I am eating way more trying to fill my craving.

#90 of 143 Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM

I was just popping into MDC tonight for some tips on breaking sugar addiction and this thread was the most recently updated and at the top of the list, it must be meant to be.  I think I need help!  My sugar addictions tend to come in waves and right now I'm definitely in a heavy sugar consumption phase.  Over the last week I've made brownies, cookies, milkshakes, crepes, and eaten almost a whole carton of moose tracks ice cream. 

I'm not really absolutely determined to quit right this second yet, but I just thought I should write those things down somewhere public so I can see how awful it looks!  I've got to get my head around quitting, and work out a plan for what to eat instead when the mood strikes.  Thanks for all of your great ideas in this thread, I think I'll go back and read it through again. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page