Valentine's treats worthy of being a tradition (but not pure junk food)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I was a kid, my  mom would make a Valentine's cake every year with us (heart-shaped cake pan, pink frosting, message hearts all over the outside).

I loved having a traditional Valentine's Day treat every year! But as an adult, I don't really like cake much, and we don't eat a lot of sugary stuff.

Does anyone have ideas for fun treats (sweet or not) that could make for a fun Valentine's Day tradition?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Scones with cream and jam! 

I love cake, but my dds don't, so making them a cake on Valentine's Day doesn't work - they feel cheated.  But they like scones, and they aren't too terribly sugary. 

ETA: I almost forgot, then we have Valentine's Day tea with them. 

Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM

I make heart shaped whole wheat/flax seed pancakes for breakfast topped with strawberries and pink whipped cream (I use pureed strawberry juice).

For dinner we celebrate with heart shaped pizza topped with heart shaped pepperoni.

love.gif

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I would love it if someone would tell me how to make heart-shaped pancakes! I saw this suggestion somewhere else and can't figure out how to pour a point. (I get how to make Mickey Mouse ears, but then everything is rounded.) Tips?

I'm enjoying hearing the Valentine's treat traditions! Keep 'em coming!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Have you tried a squeeze bottle?  It would be easier to control the batter and get it where you want it.  There are heart shaped pancake molds out there too.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 AM

I used to make them with a squeeze bottle. First make a thin heart shaped outline.  Lets set for a few seconds and the fill the center to a have a solid heart.  However a few years ago someone gave me a set of 6 heart shaped cookie cutters in various sizes.  Now I spray with cooking and use them as a pancake mold.  They are also great for making heart shaped french toast and heart shaped toad-in-the-holes.

If your kids pack a lunch its fun to cut their bread into heart shapes for sandwiches! love.gif

Pardon me while I puke.gif

Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 PM

This year I plan to serve apples sliced into rounds and then cut into heart shapes, topped w/home made chevre, and drizzled w/honey (from our bees, of course!). 

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 AM

We love doing cheese and chocolate fondue for Valentine's Day.  It can be as healthy or as junky as you want ityummy.gif

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We made some chocolate dipped straweberries yesterday. Look all of ten minutes from starting to cleanup.Trader Joes has oversized strawberries right now as well as good quality, inexpensive chocolate buttons.

Melt chocolate at 70% power in the microwave, stiring twice. Mix in a little cream to cut down on the sugar and make the texture of the chocolate more like a truffle rather than the snap texture of plain chocolate. Wash strawberries and dry off carefully.If the cream thickened the chocolate too much, warm up a little more. Dip strawberry into chocolate, place on tray to dry.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't have my recipe handy, but I make a dessert with chocolate mousse and raspberries (think they're folded with cream or something - need to look for my recipe). I don't make it heart-shaped (I guess I could, with the right pan), and it's not super sweet, but it's very, very pink.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM

I just saw this page on making chocolate truffles, a lot less sugar than usual, and I think rolling them in different coatings is going to be really fun.

http://www.thehealthycookingcoach.com/2010/11/primal-chocolate-truffles-from-the-primal-blueprint-cookbook.html

Old 02-14-2011, 10:27 AM

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM

I made these:

http://www.bakingandboys.com/2008/11/peanut-butter-oat-balls-and-peanut.html

No crackers or walnuts and a lot more oats than the other ingredients.  I added dark chocolate.  

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM

My mom also used to make a heart shaped cake every year and I remember looking forward to it every year too.

We made wheat-free chocolate beet cupcakes this year.  They are delicious and you can make them into hearts if you like or make frosting and decorate them.

User Tag List